The Spring Clench 2018

Shoggoth

The second year of having this event. This time around we'll be looking at competing with the "classic" events:

1 - 20mm Blockset Gripper Close - Max close

2 - Euro 2 Hand Pinch

3 - Double Overhand Ironmind Axle Deadlift

4 - Ironmind Hub Deadlift

5 - Baseline Dynomometer

Saturday, 31 March 2018 at 11:00–16:00

Evolve Strength
4825 89 street, Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5L3

Men’s and Women's Open

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 6

Like the events Jason. Looks like the hub is making a comeback since Nate has it in his upcoming comp as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Like the events Jason. Looks like the hub is making a comeback since Nate has it in his upcoming comp as well. 

I'm thinking about keeping these events consistent for this comp over the years to come. Good to gauge where everyone's at without changing stuff up all of the time.

I like the hub as I think it gives people with hands that don't quite match up to the axle the best a good opportunity to make up points. Possibly.

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Gingernaut25 said:

maybe add a new 5th event each year? 

More nail snapping :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Just a reminder that this is coming up on March 31st. I'll be getting folks to do up pre-contest registrations to get shirts ordered up and such. If you want additional shirts let me know and I'll figure out a price on them as well. I'll still let folks register on the event date but chances of getting a shirt are slim. Also looking into some trophies but I want to keep the cost down in the $20-$25 range.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sign-ups from the GB community (if there are any).

What I need is $25 sent to jsteeves72@gmail.com (PayPal) and your shirt size. You'll still need to cover your drop-in fee (I think it's $10) for Jon at Evolve Gym as well.

What you're getting:
-Event shirt, black with the above logo
-Opportunity to win a first, second, or third place plaque with the logo for both the men's and women's
-Each competitors top lifts will be logged onto North American Gripsports top 100 list so you can see how you're ranked against other Canadians, Americans, Europeans, etc.
-Bragging rights

I'll keep this thread open until the end of the month then I'll need to close it to get the shirts ordered up. I'll be getting a couple of extra as well but I don't plan on having 20 extra shirts kicking around for the next 10 years.

You'll still be able to sign in day of (as long as you're not late) but your chances of getting a shirt are slim.

Thanks everybody!

• Like 1

Looking like a good one. So far with 15 men and 5 ladies competitors having registrations paid and possibly another handful showing up the day of this is looking like a biggie. A pretty good contingent are strongman, powerlifting, and highland games athletes. Should be interesting for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

18 men and 5 ladies confirmed and paid up. I'll also be allowing a handful of drop-ins. Should be a blast. Heading up to Edmonton tomorrow to let whoever would like a chance to try the implements and find their optimal Euro widths.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

Confirmed AND paid up. That’s awesome!

Yessir. Really happy with that. I think a lot of that is because all of these people compete in at least one other sport or more so they're used to the drill. This is the first comp that I've charged anything for (with the exception of KK and CC).

• 2 weeks later...

Example of the shirts and plaques.  I can’t figure out how to rotate these properly.

673B0D62-C2B4-4C06-9484-3441307F133B.thumb.jpeg.5daa9440c76aaa08f176735503f4ebf4.jpeg2CFA88A1-30F7-41F5-B7E2-9272724D0F46.thumb.jpeg.921ca172c09c7600c79f41d0f06873dc.jpeg

• Like 2

Those look great!

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

Those look great!

Thanks buddy! Some damn good numbers are going to be needed to place at this one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2018 SC - Men's Open 20mm Gripper.jpg

2018 SC - Ladies Open 20mm Gripper.jpg

2018 SC - Men's Open Euro 2HP.jpg

2018 SC - Ladies Open Euro 2HP.jpg

The two columns indicate the collar weight added to the total poundage.

2018 SC - Men's Open DO Axle Deadlift.jpg

2018 SC - Ladies Open DO Axle Deadlift.jpg

2018 SC - Men's Open IronMind Hub Deadlift.jpg

2018 SC - Ladies Open IronMind Hub Deadlift.jpg

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 3

Looks to been quite a contest!

Some big grippers and axles in particular. 

2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Looks to been quite a contest!

Some big grippers and axles in particular. 

Yeah and they’re going to be going up from there. Jay almost got a 181/182 gripper as well. He’s largely untrained now but is going to get back at it. He doesn’t want Tom to have the Canadian axle record haha!

More super strong guys looking to compete at the next one as well. Just wait until they learn a little more technique and start some specific training! A couple of them are talking about going to New York. 

• Like 2

Really strong numbers. Congrats on running such a successful comp Jason. Do you think any of your group is interested in coming to the Nags Championship in June in NY? I know you guys are a lot further away than Eric's group. 

Edited by Chez

Tom Bryson -- the winner of the Spring Clench -- has confirmed that he is coming to the NAGS Championship.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Tom Bryson -- the winner of the Spring Clench -- has confirmed that he is coming to the NAGS Championship.

Very cool

Jeremy Reay and Ben Collins are also showing interest. 

• Like 2