Idea - bull ring spokes

wobbler

Someone will probably beat me to making this, I want to add spokes so I can get used to them.

I can't even figure out how to get started on this 35lb plate I got, 4 spoke 5" shallow hub, but lifted 38lbs on the 5" bull ring.

Coupling for 3/8" threads might be the right size, I have a feeling 1/4" could be too small but maybe not.

Anybody have a better idea? Could probably just use a piece of wood and a wood screw but that might not last very long.

20171120_155052.jpg

Use small beam clamps.

Plates are different than hub devices. The Rom and weight distribution are different.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks man, I couldn't figure out what to search for and came up empty on mcmaster. Looks like 2 bucks or less a piece, definitely the way to go with a little bit of grinding to fit.

Edit: and yeah, very different especially on the shallow hubs. I tried again and can get a decent attempt if I prop the thumb end up on a block. And negatives lifting the thumb side with my other hand.

Edited by wobbler

46 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Edit: and yeah, very different especially on the shallow hubs. I tried again and can get a decent attempt if I prop the thumb end up on a block. And negatives lifting the thumb side with my other hand.

I don't have any ideas for you on modifying the Bull Ring.  But using the finger press technique works wonders for getting strong enough to lift whatever hub you are working on.  I couldn't tell if that's what you were describing when you typed "lifting the thumb side with my other hand."  The finger press technique is very subtle, but makes a huge difference and is pretty quick in terms of getting you strong enough to lift whatever hub you are targeting - if you are obviously pretty close on it already - which to me means if you can hold onto the hub for even a half second in a one hand negative. 

@bencrush haven't come across that term before, do you mean adding thumb pressure by using the other hand to press on the lifting hand's thumb?

I was talking about lifting the thumb side off the ground with the other hand, and tilting towards fingers for a negative. 

1 hour ago, wobbler said:

@bencrush haven't come across that term before, do you mean adding thumb pressure by using the other hand to press on the lifting hand's thumb?

I was talking about lifting the thumb side off the ground with the other hand, and tilting towards fingers for a negative. 

No, I'll have to find a better way to describe it.  I used the finger press method for blobs - it was not my idea by the way - and it worked very well for that too.  Just use a finger to put lateral pressure against the blob or the edge of the plate that you are hubbing.  The slight lateral pressure works best (for me, at least) when you push toward the body.  It seems to be the equivalent of a braced close with grippers. 

Ok, I do that with blobs and it works well. Have not tried it with plate hubbing