Hand sizes?

Alawadhi

Recently there was a topic on weight classes and hand sizes which I think got deleted. I remember a guy there said that he is 6'8" and has the same hand size as Tanner @Boulderbrew (I believe 8.25") but Tanner hand span is 2 inch bigger which was about 9.1" or so. So I don't know if I understood correctly but I seem to have same hand span as Tanner with my 7.6" hands. I also don't know if I am counting correctly I count from thumb to pinkie while stretched on a table. So my question is, is anything over 9" average or no?

Not sure, but my hands are 7.5" long and hand span is 9.75". I think hand span can be tricky because it depends on how far you can abduct your fingers. Mine may be artificially high from playing piano. 

44 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Recently there was a topic on weight classes and hand sizes which I think got deleted. I remember a guy there said that he is 6'8" and has the same hand size as Tanner @Boulderbrew (I believe 8.25") but Tanner hand span is 2 inch bigger which was about 9.1" or so. So I don't know if I understood correctly but I seem to have same hand span as Tanner with my 7.6" hands. I also don't know if I am counting correctly I count from thumb to pinkie while stretched on a table. So my question is, is anything over 9" average or no?

Hand span is a product of finger/thumb length combined with hand flexibility and can be improved upon by stretching. I think this is one of the reasons Daniel Reinard was able to do so much incredible stuff with average length hands.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Royz said:

My hands are 20cm/7.9" and handspan is 22,5cm/9", which I think is pretty terrible...:(

lol if you're terrible, what does that make me?

left hand: 18.5 cm length 22.5 cm span

right hand: 19 cm length 22.5 cm span

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Hand span is a product of finger/thumb length combined with hand flexibility and can be improved upon by stretching. I think this is one of the reasons Daniel Reinard was able to do so much incredible stuff with average length hands.

True, my left hand has a larger span than my right because of guitar playing (i.e stretching).

Okay guys makes sense. So stretching it is a good thing it seems.

7 5/8" hand - 9 1/8" span.  It is what it is.

I think the most important measurement of hand is tip of thumb to tip of middle finger span. Some guys with average size hands can grab a rolling thunder and their finger touches their thumb. 

• Like 2

7 5/8" and 9 1/2" if I really stretch, so 9 1/4" is probably more realistic.

7 and 7/8" length and 10.25" span.  Depending on how my palm sits (flat on the table or slightly "tented") when I am measuring, I can go beyond 180 degrees now with my right hand.  That I think is from doing a very reduced amount of grip training over the past year.  Because I definitely don't stretch my hands on a regular basis.

Would someone mind posting a photo of exactly where they measure there hand from when determining length?  My wrist has several creases and I want to make sure I am using the correct reference point. Thanks in advance.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, climber511 said:

7 5/8" hand - 9 1/8" span.  It is what it is.

My numbers exactly.  Wish I could lift the same as you!  (I should really train though :blush)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IvankoGripper said:

Who gives a sh&_ about width?  Thickness is what's important. 

https://spotmebro.com/denis-cyplenkov-hands/

You won't get good leverage in thick bar with thick hands. The more you wrap your hands the better.

• Like 2

Strength is really all I care about - is thickness a part of that component?  I don't know - lots of very strong grip guys have thick hands but a lot have long relatively thin hands as well.  Part of it may be strong at what - fat bar for example favors a less meaty hand to give a deeper "wrap".  What hand attributes favor grippers, or narrow or wide pinch - or any of the other dozens of feats of hand strength we all do?  There doesn't seem to be a "best" for everything hand size or construction. 

Does grip training make your hands thicker?  A good question that I have no answer for - my hands "may" be thicker now than when I started but how to tell - if so the difference isn't obvious.  Maybe some kind of volume test in a graduated beaker when new and then years later?  But that assumes you did it when you started out - which no one seems to do. I have to agree that thick hands look stronger - I'm just not sure they always are.

Good question it makes sense though that the hands will thicken as a result of grip training.  Every other body part thickens as it hypertrophies as a result of strength training so I can't see the hands not doing the same thingl

My hands in general are definitely thicker than when I started doing grip sport. 

2 hours ago, IvankoGripper said:

Good question it makes sense though that the hands will thicken as a result of grip training.  Every other body part thickens as it hypertrophies as a result of strength training so I can't see the hands not doing the same thingl

Aren't you relatively new to the sport?  You might figure out a way to measure volume (for lack of a better wording) now and then over time as you continue to train - then chart it out over time.  It would make for an interesting experiment.

I think a big reason I don't think my hands have grown is all the years of construction and rock climbing I had done prior to starting Grip as a sport.  Most of the stimulus was already completed perhaps?

I just follow the instructions included w/ my ISG& I'm very satisfied w/ progress.  My hands have w/out a doubt in my mind thickened.

On 11/22/2017 at 12:29 PM, IvankoGripper said:

The hands are mostly tendons and the fingers have no muscle... just tendons. Takes a lot longer and less noticeable to thicken.

I totally disagree with you.  Each fingers has in effect a sort of "bicep" which bends the finger. Depending on the fiber type of muscle a person has in their hands these muscles will hypertrophy. 

1121_Intrinsic_Muscles_of_the_Hand.jpg

I think the hands are no different than the arms or legs.  The degree a person's hands hypertrophy is largely dependent on their % of fast twitch muscle fibers.  A guy might only squeeze 200lbs for 10 reps but will have significantly thickened his hands once he gets to 200lbs whereas another might squeeze 300lbs but have relatively thin hands.  This is primarily relevant because women check out a guy's hands & forearms just like they do his upper arms or legs & calves.  In fact they probably do it to a larger degree.  It's just not usually analyzed as closely we as grip athletes do. 

Edited by IvankoGripper

I can assure you this dude has attracted many women with his forearms alone. 

forearm.jpg