Jump to content

Shaw Grip Challenges


Squeezus

Recommended Posts

Squeezus
30 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Agree with that about the 25-45 plate pinch, but do you know any non grip enthusiasts that have access to blobs?

My entire gym (The Southern Squeeze) has access to blobs :). Anyone in Nashville is welcome to come give them a try.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

My entire gym (The Southern Squeeze) has access to blobs :). Anyone in Nashville is welcome to come give them a try.

Way to make things accessible to the common man Gil! The try beofr you buy technique so to speak will definitely whet peoples grip appetites! As soon as I tried Grip I was hooked. It’s a great way to expose people to this great sport!

Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511
1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

By accessible I meant more people have the strength to accomplish it, not literal access to the equipment.

I don't have much traffic at my little gym but I have had at least 3 guys walk in and lift 50# York Blobs (not Fatman) off the street.  All were big working type guys with big hands.  Picked it up - put it down like what's the big deal".  Same guys (and more) have closed my #2 having never grabbed one before.  We have lots of construction workers, mechanics, tree trimmers etc around here.  Those guys have strong hands on them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Squeezus

Here's the latest challenge, lift a 30lb+ York Blob:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I don't have much traffic at my little gym but I have had at least 3 guys walk in and lift 50# York Blobs (not Fatman) off the street.  All were big working type guys with big hands.  Picked it up - put it down like what's the big deal".  Same guys (and more) have closed my #2 having never grabbed one before.  We have lots of construction workers, mechanics, tree trimmers etc around here.  Those guys have strong hands on them.

They pretty much train grip 8 hours a day for a living. I would be very surprised if they couldn’t do things like that very easily. Especially if they are on the larger side of the spectrum. First time I heard of COC grippers I was expecting the number 2 to be wayyy harder than it was closing it for multiple reps 1st time out. It all depends on your genetics or what stimulus your hands have been put through. I guarentee there’s guys in the blue collar arena that could do things we haven’t even dreamed of! Stone quarry guys, woodsmen, roughnecks that would probably be amused at we do and show us up in a heartbeat. That would be very humbling....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi
17 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Bob lifted Old School Yorks?!?!?!

Oh second that. That's STRONG!

17 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

Has Shaw acknowledged anyone’s videos yet? Where the hell is everyone’s steak?

I think Brian Shaw is doing a great job on encouraging new people to grip sports. I don't think he was challenging  gripsters, but it is always good to send the answer back respectfully.

17 hours ago, Climber028 said:

He just put out another one, lift any York blob 30lb or higher. Seems like he's trying to make them more accessible for non grip enthusiasts

Yep

16 hours ago, Squeezus said:

My entire gym (The Southern Squeeze) has access to blobs :). Anyone in Nashville is welcome to come give them a try.

Cool, it will be even better if people knows about it and comes more. You might find genetics freaks who can do amazing things.

15 hours ago, climber511 said:

I don't have much traffic at my little gym but I have had at least 3 guys walk in and lift 50# York Blobs (not Fatman) off the street.  All were big working type guys with big hands.  Picked it up - put it down like what's the big deal".  Same guys (and more) have closed my #2 having never grabbed one before.  We have lots of construction workers, mechanics, tree trimmers etc around here.  Those guys have strong hands on them.

That's amazing. But they are big men who do grip regular for many hours in their work. It is amazing to see it though.

13 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

They pretty much train grip 8 hours a day for a living. I would be very surprised if they couldn’t do things like that very easily. Especially if they are on the larger side of the spectrum. First time I heard of COC grippers I was expecting the number 2 to be wayyy harder than it was closing it for multiple reps 1st time out. It all depends on your genetics or what stimulus your hands have been put through. I guarentee there’s guys in the blue collar arena that could do things we haven’t even dreamed of! Stone quarry guys, woodsmen, roughnecks that would probably be amused at we do and show us up in a heartbeat. That would be very humbling....

Exactly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this is besides the point of the challenge. But has anyone been contacted by Brian about their submissions? Lookin' to see photos of ShawStrength Swag or Longhorn Gift Card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DAVE101 said:

I know this is besides the point of the challenge. But has anyone been contacted by Brian about their submissions? Lookin' to see photos of ShawStrength Swag or Longhorn Gift Card.

Probably not!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is still going apparently. Newest Challenge:

 

The winner of the plate pinch gets a free hat: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbvxKn6D0Ab/?taken-by=shawstrength

(winning clip, two 35s: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbncx3fh2iy/?tagged=shawgripchallenge)

 

Winner of Blob lift got a signed mini-poster: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcFU5m9DW02/?taken-by=shawstrength

(winning clip, 53 lb blob: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbxzdE9A-vG/?taken-by=renewedstrength_llc)

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Well, this is still going apparently. Newest Challenge:

 

The winner of the plate pinch gets a free hat: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbvxKn6D0Ab/?taken-by=shawstrength

(winning clip, two 35s: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbncx3fh2iy/?tagged=shawgripchallenge)

 

Winner of Blob lift got a signed mini-poster: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcFU5m9DW02/?taken-by=shawstrength

(winning clip, 53 lb blob: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbxzdE9A-vG/?taken-by=renewedstrength_llc)

 

 

 

And not one person compensated with what was promised for smashing the challenges??? Say it ain’t so?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

And not one person compensated with what was promised for smashing the challenges??? Say it ain’t so?

Correct! Not one, but two! ;-)

Haven't seen any steak dinners though, but then again I don't social media so don't take my word for it.

Edited by DAVE101
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

Correct! Not one, but two! ;-)

Haven't seen any steak dinners though, but then again I don't social media so don't take my word for it.

I don’t either. This and my YouTube video diary of my training and feats is all I do. I’m anti Facebook and Instagram.... don’t like big brother monitoring my moves!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jedd Johnson

To be fair, I only recall Brian offering a steak for the first feat, the York 45 plus 15lbs.  I also don't think it's been done yet - he wants the feats done exactly.

I think the most important thing is this big name in the world of strength putting up grip challenges and getting interest out there.

I could care less to eat a steak he bought, unless we are sitting at the same table, talking shop, bouncing ideas off one another. 

That's just my personal thought.

I hope he continues to put up challenges.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511

I can't post them on Instagram so I'm not doing them but I do think they are cool and might develop some interest.  The Medicine Ball one is so hand size dependent I wouldn't bother with it but otherwise kind of neat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Jack
1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

To be fair, I only recall Brian offering a steak for the first feat, the York 45 plus 15lbs.  I also don't think it's been done yet - he wants the feats done exactly.

I think the most important thing is this big name in the world of strength putting up grip challenges and getting interest out there.

I could care less to eat a steak he bought, unless we are sitting at the same table, talking shop, bouncing ideas off one another. 

That's just my personal thought.

I hope he continues to put up challenges.

I was about to post the same and then saw Jedd's response. He is very correct here as it was for the first feat only that he offered the steak dinner. Before anybody slams someone publicly for not doing what "you" think they should do maybe it would be fundamental to read and or listen to the details.  But then again, what is our society today without someone getting their panties in a wad even when something is offered that will help our hobbies and interests be pushed forward by someone with Brian's public reach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lucasraymond

Only Dave Labbe has reproduced the 60lb inverted york dumbbell transfer, no one had done the 45+15lb milled york

Link to post
Share on other sites
temmmeeee
34 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

Only Dave Labbe has reproduced the 60lb inverted york dumbbell transfer, no one had done the 45+15lb milled york

Labbe actually out-feated shaw on that one. None of his fingers were on the stamp and his thumb wasn't on the flat side. Pure insanity

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t so much think the person that asked the question if anyone has been contacted or compensated on smashing the challenges was intending to slam Mr. Shaw....I think it was More of  a curious question. It is great that he is exposing the world of grip to some folks whom may never get a chance to even know what grip is. Sometimes on these forums I believe.... and I’ve seen this on text messages.... that intent or tone cannot be displayed. I can’t speak for the commenter who asked the question about whether or not Mr. Shaw made good on his steak dinner offer.. but in my case that has happened to me plenty of times. Brian Shaw is obviously a well respected and world renowned strength athlete. My intention on a forum is never to disrespect anyone at anytime and to learn as much as I can from wherever and whomever I can.... so if any comment I made sounded like slamming anyone that was definitely not my intent. I have respect for any and all of the people on this board and in our tight knit brotherhood of strength!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi
On 12/14/2017 at 9:16 PM, DAVE101 said:

New Challnege: 2x20 kg plate pinch. 

And this is coming after someone else already did a 2x25kg pinch!

Didn't look easy for him

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.