What,why and who got you into grip?

Grip started to limit me in the deadlift once I reached 270k (595lb) using the sumo style (but not using the classic style). I began training grip specifically with an Ivanko supergripper. This would have been about 30 years ago.

Just now, Mikael Siversson said:

Grip started to limit me in the deadlift once I reached 270k (595lb) using the sumo style (but not using the classic style). I began training grip specifically with an Ivanko supergripper. This would have been about 30 years ago.

Nice brother! How’s the deadlift 30 years later? Still doing it? Did grip improve it much for you?

All I do in terms of deadlifting these days is the axle (once every 6 days) and I would be able to pull a lot more than my grip allows. I weighed about 20k more back then but I could probably do 200k+ at 74k right now. The deadlift was always my favourite powerlifting event. I had to give up powerlifting because of my dud SI joint, first forcing me to switch from sumo to classic style and later to stop doing squats etc.

Just now, Mikael Siversson said:

All I do in terms of deadlifting these days is the axle (once every 6 days) and I would be able to pull a lot more than my grip allows. I weighed about 20k more back then but I could probably do 200k+ at 74k right now. The deadlift was always my favourite powerlifting event. I had to give up powerlifting because of my dud SI joint, first forcing me to switch from sumo to classic style and later to stop doing squats etc.

My story is similar. You can do 200kg on axle? That’s awesome. I was also into powerlifting and deadlift was my favorite. Have done 700 and pulled 630 in competition. Had back and neck surgery in 2005 and didn’t lift again until finding Jedds videos and was like what the heck is going on here? Found it very interesting and not something that imposes maximum stress on the back. Fell in love with it instantly!

LOL I wish I could, no I mean regular deadlifting.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

It was particularly the wide stance squat that killed my SI joint but I also have a family history of this being a weak link. Grip is more fun as you be successful for a much longer time.

16 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

It was particularly the wide stance squat that killed my SI joint but I also have a family history of this being a weak link. Grip is more fun as you be successful for a much longer time.

Yes sir it’s more impressive and more longevity!

It was a combination of an old training partner that was big on martial arts that trained it and seeing that Jesse Marunde had certified the #3 as a teenager upon googling him after watching worlds strongest man 2005. 

1 minute ago, Paul Savage said:

It was a combination of an old training partner that was big on martial arts that trained it and seeing that Jesse Marunde had certified the #3 as a teenager upon googling him after watching worlds strongest man 2005. 

Awesome brother!

One year ago (almost to the day!), I fell out of a helicopter at work.  Among my injuries were a dislocated R shoulder, a broken L hand and wrist, and spinal fractures.  One of the PT guys that helped me recover was an armwrestler and powerlifter who encouraged grip-specific training once I was able.  I dabbled in bouldering before my accident but never trained grip by itself until then, really made me realize what I was missing.  Now trying to keep up with the beasts on this forum.

1 minute ago, Shatterer said:

One year ago (almost to the day!), I fell out of a helicopter at work.  Among my injuries were a dislocated R shoulder, a broken L hand and wrist, and spinal fractures.  One of the PT guys that helped me recover was an armwrestler and powerlifter who encouraged grip-specific training once I was able.  I dabbled in bouldering before my accident but never trained grip by itself until then, really made me realize what I was missing.  Now trying to keep up with the beasts on this forum.

Glad to see you’re  back to full health! Good luck with your training!

20 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Glad to see you’re  back to full health! Good luck with your training!

Thanks man.  Like your videos, strong stuff!

29 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Thanks brother! Do you have a YouTube? I will subscribe if you do.

Not yet, though I've kicked it around.  Maybe when I am stronger.  I am going to start posting some videos in my log to police my form, after that perhaps. 

I saw your video with Jedd where you used that Ironmind Stacker block, do you train with that a lot?  You have great wrist strength, just curious if that helped you at all...

Got into after having to quit strongman and powerlifting due to my broken body taking a beating. I can remember exactly how (thanks cognative disorder) but i started last year as a means to stay active. Now i cant even do that. F’in sucks.

Now I’m trying to do bending 🙄

When – why – how – and who got me into Grip?

I started lifting in 1959 and the routines of the day always included Wrist Curls and Reverse Wrist Curls.  Probably around 1962? I found a picture in S&H that my grandfather and I built - it was a hand gripper out of wood that utilized the barbell as the resistance.  First edition “Gripper” thus became a part of my training routine.  I worked up to some respectable weight on the wrist curls for a skinny HS kid.  I guess I never really quit - it was just like doing bench or curls - it was a part of what I did - started a very long time before I ever heard of the Grip Board.

gallery_3084_820_24834.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Shatterer said:

Not yet, though I've kicked it around.  Maybe when I am stronger.  I am going to start posting some videos in my log to police my form, after that perhaps. 

I saw your video with Jedd where you used that Ironmind Stacker block, do you train with that a lot?  You have great wrist strength, just curious if that helped you at all...

I usually use real bricks. That stacker video was the 2nd or third time I used it. My wrist is strong from sledge hammer levering

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I usually use real bricks. That stacker video was the 2nd or third time I used it. My wrist is strong from sledge hammer levering

Impressive! I am going to increase my levering, thanks man!

I was always a good casual arm wrestler for my small size (5-6, 170 pounds plus minus ten pounds depending on the year), and I'd beat much bigger guys.  But arm wrestling opportunities are rare for a middle aged lawyer in NYC so I was kind of missing it.  On a lark, I went to an arm wrestling competition a couple of years ago (and did miserably because I have no strategy, just decent strength).  At the meet I saw some COC grippers that were part of a prize (and maybe Ironmind was a sponsor as well).  People there were talking about training with grippers to be better at arm wrestling, and an arm wrestling pro there gave me a quick lesson and said I had a good grip and should do grip training.  So I ordered the COC "strong man" set (1, 1.5, 2) and right off the bat with my dominant right hand I was able to close the 1.5 easily and almost the 2.  For a little guy on his first try, not bad, and then I closed the 2 after a couple of weeks of casual practice.  I then bought the 2.5 and the 3, and after about six more months I closed the 2.5 but got some tendinitis and stopped for a few months and lost the ability to do the 2.5.  Now, almost two years after I first discovered grippers, I finally discovered this group and it has reignited my interest.  I would really like to close the 3, before I am 50 in April 2019.  So I started training again and now I can close my 2.5 for one rep again and I also got a ghp 6 that I can close for just barely two reps, as it seems a little easier than my 2.5 (might be a harder 2.5 or an easier ghp6 as I think the 6 is usually a shade harder than the 2.5).

I am very interested in staying closer to grip than I was before, maybe to try some variety like pinch and steel bending too, but definitely shooting for the number 3.

cheers to all and happy vets day!

vinnie 

• Like 1

Did small amount of grip training during the early days of my strongman & arm wrestling training. Intil, I competed at Jedd Johnson's event in 2015. Then, I got hooked into grip sport.

1 hour ago, JStepien said:

Did small amount of grip training during the early days of my strongman & arm wrestling training. Intil, I competed at Jedd Johnson's event in 2015. Then, I got hooked into grip sport.

Awesome big John Studd!

6 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I was always a good casual arm wrestler for my small size (5-6, 170 pounds plus minus ten pounds depending on the year), and I'd beat much bigger guys.  But arm wrestling opportunities are rare for a middle aged lawyer in NYC so I was kind of missing it.  On a lark, I went to an arm wrestling competition a couple of years ago (and did miserably because I have no strategy, just decent strength).  At the meet I saw some COC grippers that were part of a prize (and maybe Ironmind was a sponsor as well).  People there were talking about training with grippers to be better at arm wrestling, and an arm wrestling pro there gave me a quick lesson and said I had a good grip and should do grip training.  So I ordered the COC "strong man" set (1, 1.5, 2) and right off the bat with my dominant right hand I was able to close the 1.5 easily and almost the 2.  For a little guy on his first try, not bad, and then I closed the 2 after a couple of weeks of casual practice.  I then bought the 2.5 and the 3, and after about six more months I closed the 2.5 but got some tendinitis and stopped for a few months and lost the ability to do the 2.5.  Now, almost two years after I first discovered grippers, I finally discovered this group and it has reignited my interest.  I would really like to close the 3, before I am 50 in April 2019.  So I started training again and now I can close my 2.5 for one rep again and I also got a ghp 6 that I can close for just barely two reps, as it seems a little easier than my 2.5 (might be a harder 2.5 or an easier ghp6 as I think the 6 is usually a shade harder than the 2.5).

I am very interested in staying closer to grip than I was before, maybe to try some variety like pinch and steel bending too, but definitely shooting for the number 3.

cheers to all and happy vets day!

vinnie 

Nice man! I am or shall I say was from Brooklyn!