35lb plate curl

Jeff Parker

I've been out of grip for a little over a year now, just specifically focusing on armwrestling now and keeping my weight down. I was going to do my first tournament last spring and I was injured during training and had to take the whole summer off.  Just got into it again in September.  Hoping to get my first tournament in sometime this winter.  I've been working with Jedds loadable plate curl a lot so I decided to to give a 35lb plate curl a go.  I've done grip for so long I honestly don't even remember if this is something I've done before but not something I've done lately or ever on video.

As a side note, anyone know of someone that hosts armwrestling practices in southeast Michigan?  Preferably north of Detroit?  My wife's cousin and I get in table time about once a week right now but neither of us has competed before.  Thanks for checking it out.

• Like 4

Nice job with the plate curl. One suggestion though, if you are doing them to help with armwrestling. I would try doing them while keeping your wrist straight throughout the movement. It's harder, but you never want your wrist bent back in a match.

Great plate curling Jeff! I used to do them alot before. I don’t think they’re super applicable to arm wrestling, even with a straight wrist. But they are decent for building general flexion strength in the wrists. Which would probably be good for arm wrestling in the long run.

• Like 1

Thanks Eric and David.

Since both of you are much more experienced in armwrestling, any other wrist exercises you prefer?  I currently do dumbbell and barbell wrist curls as well as thick bar dumbbell curls the way Devon does in his YouTube videos.  I also do rotational work with hammers hitting all the angles.

How about hand strength specific exercises?  I use my hang board for pull-ups and chin ups a lot but really don't hit any other specific hand strength workouts anymore.  Thanks 

3 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Nice job with the plate curl. One suggestion though, if you are doing them to help with armwrestling. I would try doing them while keeping your wrist straight throughout the movement. It's harder, but you never want your wrist bent back in a match.

Unless you’re a Leitch. 

22 minutes ago, Jeff Parker said:

Thanks Eric and David.

Since both of you are much more experienced in armwrestling, any other wrist exercises you prefer?  I currently do dumbbell and barbell wrist curls as well as thick bar dumbbell curls the way Devon does in his YouTube videos.  I also do rotational work with hammers hitting all the angles.

How about hand strength specific exercises?  I use my hang board for pull-ups and chin ups a lot but really don't hit any other specific hand strength workouts anymore.  Thanks 

I quite like the Wrist Wrench.

Everyone’s different. We all have different strengths and weaknesses that stem from our training history and/or our genetic makeup. Find your weakness and work hard on it! For me my ”cup strength” was already relatively good compared to the other guys in my weight class. Most of that was probably built over the years of doing thickbar work and wrist curld. Cup strength enables me to force almost everyone into the hook, where I’m also the strongest. My pronation strength however was relatively undeveloped when I started armwrestling. So my focus has been to add pronation strength which has solwly increased over time. Pronation is super important in almost all positions and angles. If your pronation is strong your armwrestling will be strong.

Thanks Eric.

Andrew P being so ridiculously nice as he is saw this thread and offered to make me a wrist Wrench so I'll be training with that in the future.

Thanks for the tips David.  My gut feeling is I'm better with pronation , posting and top rolling and weaker in the hook but I won't know for sure until I get in some more practice and an actual tournament with some experienced armwrestlers.  I've always wanted to get into armwrestling and doing well in the sledge hammer event at the 2016 nationals is what kind of spurred me on to finally try it. 

Eric, David or anyone else, do you ever use a peg board and find it useful?  I couldn't get any table time in this week due to scheduling conflicts so I used the peg board at work today and I am very sore in similar places in my forearm and elbow joint as I am after a hard pulling session.

I've never used a peg board, but I would imagine it could really help build the type of strength endurance that would be useful in armwrestling.

Hmm, peg board? I’m not sure I’m familiar with it. Is it what you sometimes see climbers training with?

Edited by David_wigren

Yes I usually see climbers using them.  You climb a wooden board that has holes in it by holding onto pegs that you take out and then put in the next one.  

I climbed it keeping my elbows at 90 degrees and no feet on the wall to assist.  After a few climbs, it's an elementary school so it's not a tall one, I did some rep work with my feet on the wall to assist.  Still very sore today.

Ok, that’s pretty much what I imagined it to be. I’ve never trued it myself. But it looks like it is probably good supplementary training for arm wrestling. 

https://www.atomikclimbingholds.com/campus-rungs-peg-board

You might be interested in these for a peg board. They fit in a normal peg board but come in thick handles up to 3 inches and even have some vertically oriented ones. They're made of plastic resin like normal climbing holds so they chalk up really well.

Atomik is awesome I have an 8 foot long Hangboard/Climbing wall  hung at an angle in my garage mostly made up of Atomik holds. Really thinking I need to add a peg board!  The atomik peg holds would be great!