ANNOUNCEMENT: IGC and NAGS Recognition of Last Man Standing Format

Eric Roussin

After considerable discussion, both the International Grip Collective (IGC) and the North American Grip Sport (NAGS) board have voted to recognize Last Man Standing as an alternative format for running single venue grip sport contests (and consequently for lifts to be recognized for NAGS records purposes).

How does Last Man Standing (LMS) work? The contest promoter selects an opening weight for an event – typically a weight that is low enough for everyone to get in a successful lift. In each subsequent round, the weight is increased (usually in preset increments). From the second round on, competitors have the option to make an attempt or to pass (one would typically pass if they are confident that they can lift the subsequent weight and want to conserve energy). Once you fail to lift a given weight, you receive credit for your last successful lift. More than four attempts are allowed, but only a single attempt is permitted (within one minute) at any given weight.

Some of the main advantages of Last Man Standing including the following:

It is much easier for new competitors

Competitors who are unfamiliar with the equipment are at a disadvantage in the standard “4-attempts – weight determined by competitor” format. There is a very good chance that newbies will be either too aggressive, or not aggressive enough, in their weight selections. In LMS, competitors can just keep making attempts until they can’t lift the weight, allowing them to better maximize their points.

It is easier to run.

Contest directors don’t have to wait on competitors to announce the weight they want to attempt. Weight just keeps getting added in regular increments.

It is easier for the crowd to follow, and can be more exciting to watch.

Once the weight starts climbing, competitors start dropping out. The emcee can keep the crowd aware of what’s going on (e.g. “only four competitors are left…. Only three are left now… If ____ makes this lift, he will win the event”). In rising bar format, with four attempts, it can be harder to tell who’s still in the contest and who isn’t.

I’ve run several contests using LMS (non-NAGS sanctioned) and they were well received by the athletes.

If you have any questions about the format, please ask away.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Are you also considering allowing the competitors be given 1 min to attempt to complete the lift with as many attempts as needed?

This was debated, but ultimately decided against. The main reason was so that historical records could remain somewhat comparable. 

I've never competed in a contest run this way - it sounds like it could take longer - is this your experience?  Or the reverse?  If it could speed up events like the Euro - that would be great.  But with all the widths I can't see much difference thinking about it in my head.

Edited by climber511

Great idea. I am looking forward to seeing this in action. Which contest will be the first to use this method?

The format used at any grip contest will be decided by the promoter. I use it for almost all of my single venue contests.

It's not great for certain implements like the Euro where the equipment (i.e. width) is changed for different competitors.

In my experience, there isn't much of a difference in terms of time when there are lots of competitors who are inexperienced with the implements. They tend to take way more attempts than the experienced guys, because they just don't know how much they can lift and are reluctant to pass on any given weight. If the majority of competitors are experienced, however, I think things would run faster because they would probably only make 3 to 5 attempts.