How much can you guys sledge face lever?

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

A great event indeed! This is okay. But there are others who did like below pic. This might add a rep or two. Some others were same. Just saying bro. Overall I think even if they got one or two reps less the results were still same.

IMG_20171219_185954.jpg.58de0cd6263201155c8c57a5212bb45e.jpg

IMG_20171219_190005.jpg

That actually doesn’t look too bad to me. Could be a little lower I suppose. I’m a purist with all my lifts though... some may give a Little more grace.

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

No.... that’s not ok..... if it’s not held at the end then it’s not maximum torque on the wrist! If a sledgehammer lever is legit then it’s done from the very end... for training to get up to the bigger hammer then up the shaft is ok.... but only for training purposes in my book! If it isn’t levered from the end of the hammer handle then it is not legit. 

Slims hammers were 31” i choke my 35” hammer to that. But otherwise I agree. 

29 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Slims hammers were 31” i choke my 35” hammer to that. But otherwise I agree. 

I believe slims hammer handle was also thicker than the average handle to decrease the opening of the hand affect when levering bigger hammers and to offset wrist range of motion issues? With the bigger hammers and narrow handle shaft if your wrist range of motion is limited the thicker handle can increase range and decreased the need of opening the fingers to gain the range lacking in the wrist. It’s a good thing

I have never seen a commercially available hammer of any weight with a 35" handle - where did you buy it?  Most are 32 1/2" to the head.  You are measuring "to" the head - not including the head - correct?

Edited by climber511

18 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I have never seen a commercially available hammer of any weight with a 35" handle - where did you buy it?  Most are 32 1/2" to the head.  You are measuring "to" the head - not including the head - correct?

I was wondering the same thing brother! Sounds like he’s measuring the full length from tip of handle to tip of hammer head.

I have a 31" handle and used to have a 36" handled hammer that was 10lbs , they definitely exist.

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

I have a 31" handle and used to have a 36" handled hammer that was 10lbs , they definitely exist.

Wow.... 36 inch would MASSIVELY increase the torque! The 10 pounder would probably feel like a 16 at least! It would be a fun training tool!

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I believe slims hammer handle was also thicker than the average handle to decrease the opening of the hand affect when levering bigger hammers and to offset wrist range of motion issues? With the bigger hammers and narrow handle shaft if your wrist range of motion is limited the thicker handle can increase range and decreased the need of opening the fingers to gain the range lacking in the wrist. It’s a good thing

Sorry for the images being flipped. These were taken at  York Barbell

2097F539-11B8-407B-9D26-F84D5DCD2F84.jpeg

AB0AD6F1-B10C-4CA4-9498-0CE52E47E550.jpeg

1 minute ago, richcottrell said:

There you go my man! Just as I thought! Build up the handle thickness will increase wrist range without opening the hand.... Slim knew what he was doing! I would LOVE TO have a crack at those beauty’s!

It Slim also has very big hands so he might have started added tape just to make the hammer fit his hand.   He also threw around the sledge at work day in and day out

1 minute ago, richcottrell said:

It Slim also has very big hands so he might have started added tape just to make the hammer fit his hand.   He also threw around the sledge at work day in and day out

The purpose of making the handle thicker is to increase the available wrist range of motion to decrease bending of the arm due to limited wrist range at extreme ranges. A lot of guys when lowering the hammer have to slightly bend the elbow to have the hammer reach the forehead or the wrist would snap due to lack of flexibility there. It’s a great way to keep it strict without compensating by having to open the hand to increase the available range of motion to reach the forehead or shoulder.

I plan on hosting a contest with a max Slim lever as an event. I think it eliminates any problems with judging. Either the hammer goes up or it does not. Not to mention trying to choke up on the handle only makes it harder. I also believe it to be safer for your wrists (no eccentric) and noggin. That being said, I love lever feats, crucifix levers, and the double lever event and am very excited to see it in Living Legends 2019!

4 hours ago, Climber028 said:

Thank you. Im not stupid, i measured right. 

29 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of being stupid as much as it’s a matter of having never seen sledgehammers with handles that long like  Chris Rice and I  above stated. I myself have not seen a handle longer than 32.5. I don’t know where you live and if longer handles are common in your country as I know in my area of the USA I have never seen them longer.... and I like to think of myself as a sledgehammer connoisseurs! The comment about anyone thinking you being stupid was not called for.... at least from my perspective. May not matter to you at all...but I Like to think  that everyone here is on friendly terms and is looking to learn from one another and not looking to make anyone look “stupid”.  

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of being stupid as much as it’s a matter of having never seen sledgehammers with handles that long like  Chris Rice and I  above stated. I myself have not seen a handle longer than 32.5. I don’t know where you live and if longer handles are common in your country as I know in my area of the USA I have never seen them longer.... and I like to think of myself as a sledgehammer connoisseurs! The comment about anyone thinking you being stupid was not called for.... at least from my perspective. May not matter to you at all...but I Like to think  that everyone here is on friendly terms and is looking to learn from one another and not looking to make anyone look “stupid”.  

Sure.

Just now, KapMan said:

Whatever bro. I dont come on here with the intent of making shit up. All my failures and successes have been 100% legit. You both assumed i meaured wrong as if measuring a hammer was rocket surgery. Just because its not common doesnt make it non existent. 

Like I said.... some people measure just the handle and some may measure the whole hammer with handle. You seem to have  gotten unreasonably defensive when Chris was just asking a simple question about how you measured. Again... no one was implying you were stupid.... I actually am kind of confused as to why you would think Chris’s question was to make you look or imply you were stupid. Maybe you’re having a bad day or something. Either way.... you overreacted!

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Like I said.... some people measure just the handle and some may measure the whole hammer with handle. You seem to have  gotten unreasonably defensive when Chris was just asking a simple question about how you measured. Again... no one was implying you were stupid.... I actually am kind of confused as to why you would think Chris’s question was to make you look or imply you were stupid. Maybe you’re having a bad day or something. Either way.... you overreacted!

If you say so. Have a good one

5 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Slim had ridiculously strong wrists.  Now that that is out of the way, he was an old time strongman/showman.  He was an expert at making things look harder to the average guy than they really were.  Nobody has brought up the stiif leather wrist wraps he wore.  What is the knob at each end?  Just something to make choking up an inch look legit?  Are they lead counter weights to help even more? Not sure.  Nobody is.  Like I said... great showman.  Also, anybody ever measured the length?  When I saw them in person, they sure looked a little short.

Again, guy was ridiculously strong levering hammers.  Probably best ever.  Just don't compare what we do in a comp with what a strongman performer does in a show to earn a living.  Two totally different things.

Let the bashing begin. Lol

Oh... Kinney never closed the #4 either.  However, I do believe John Wood farmers carried two millenium dumbells 6 miles.  His dad Kim said so.  Must be true.  :laugh

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Sorry for any misunderstanding I created - I've been through this several times on the board only to find someone was measuring the whole thing and I was measuring just to the head.  Never meant to imply you were stupid only that it's possible we were talking apples and oranges perhaps.  I own 9 sledge hammers and all came with 32 1/2" handles.  My friends and old employers all have 32 1/2" handles.  I've simply never seen any different than that - they evidently do exist but I haven't run on to them here in Ohio.  Sorry if I upset you - it was certainly not my intent.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Slim had ridiculously strong wrists.  Now that that is out of the way, he was an old time strongman/showman.  He was an expert at making things look harder to the average guy than they really were.  Nobody has brought up the stiif leather wrist wraps he wore.  What is the knob at each end?  Just something to make choking up an inch look legit?  Are they lead counter weights to help even more? Not sure.  Nobody is.  Like I said... great showman.  Also, anybody ever measured the length?  When I saw them in person, they sure looked a little short.

Again, guy was ridiculously strong levering hammers.  Probably best ever.  Just don't compare what we do in a comp with what a strongman performer does in a show to earn a living.  Two totally different things.

Let the bashing begin. Lol

Oh... Kinney never closed the #4 either.  However, I do believe John Wood farmers carried two millenium dumbells 6 miles.  His dad Kim said so.  Must be true.  :laugh

Bahaha fair points. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Sorry for any misunderstanding I created - I've been through this several times on the board only to find someone was measuring the whole thing and I was measuring just to the head.  Never meant to imply you were stupid only that it's possible we were talking apples and oranges perhaps.  I own 9 sledge hammers and all came with 32 1/2" handles.  My friends and old employers all have 32 1/2" handles.  I've simply never seen any different than that - they evidently do exist but I haven't run on to them here in Ohio.  Sorry if I upset you - it was certainly not my intent.

It is what it is. Its the only hammer I have like that. My memory is swift so take that for what it is. I just know i use 31” .

The best picture I could find of Slims implements - The Axe seems to have been longer than the hammers.

slim_the_hammermans_hammer_oldtimestrongman.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The best picture I could find of Slims implements - The Axe seems to have been longer than the hammers.

slim_the_hammermans_hammer_oldtimestrongman.jpg

My Grandpa taught me:

- always hustle the guy that brings his own cue stick. He's just showin off.

- never hustle somebody that brings two.

- If he breaks out a third... leave.