How much can you guys sledge face lever?

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

Dude.  That's what duct tape is for.

I want the real thing :D

6 hours ago, anwnate said:

Dude.  That's what duct tape is for.

Or you can slide plates up the shaft of the sledge and hold them on with with fat grip slid under the plate! 

7 hours ago, Juha Lehtimäki said:

Haven't attempt for a while, I think my best was 26lbs.

Supposedly you arent supposed to dip your arm or move your head to the weight. 

There needs to be some sort of standardization for this movement. To me this is good. Ive modeled my levering after slim since i got the ol gripboard boot broken off in my ass. Which makes it significantly time consuming to train. 

Edited by KapMan

Lots of excellent sledge face levers posted in this thread!

If any standardization were to be made, I would vote for either having the handle completely parallel to the ground or having a stick/bar attached to the sledge at an angle that you have to get parallel to the ground for it to count. I remember Eric Milfeld posting a video of something lika that a few years back and I thought it looked like a very good idea. Another thing is to not allow any rocking of the body or downward movement of the lifters arm once the positive concentric movement has been initiated by the lifter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KapMan said:

Supposedly you arent supposed to dip your arm or move your head to the weight. 

There needs to be some sort of standardization for this movement. To me this is good. Ive modeled my levering after slim since i got the ol gripboard boot broken off in my ass. Which makes it significantly time consuming to train. 

I think some people way overthink the technique. This guy is doing a 26 pounder and damn strict at that! There is going to be some incidental moment when levering big hammer! I would say that his lever was strict! Anything over 16 pounders is massive and if your body happens to move slightly then I am not going to lose sleep over it. Most of the people that complain probably dont lever more that 12s. 

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think some people way overthink the technique. This guy is doing a 26 pounder and damn strict at that! There is going to be some incidental moment when levering big hammer! I would say that his lever was strict! Anything over 16 pounders is massive and if your body happens to move slightly then I am not going to lose sleep over it. Most of the people that complain probably dont lever more that 12s. 

Agreed. 

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That pipe on the end looks wicked dangerous coming down towards the forehead! One slip and that’s it!

I think the focus was more on the pipe thats on the shaft, to denote the angle. Just my guess.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:12 PM, climber511 said:

One thing that I should mention is that these are all from a dead stop.  You lowered the sledge to the rack - paused and then levered it up to vertical - it's harder than getting a stretch reflex like when we do it free handed.

Hey Chris, I can't see the results, can you tell me what I got.  At my advanced age, I do not remember.  It was a fun event.

10 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

That pipe on the end looks wicked dangerous coming down towards the forehead! One slip and that’s it!

Mike Krahling used to use a weighted axe and split apples on his forehead.  Makes this look safe.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/17/2017 at 12:50 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

True. But one things I noticed from this video and the gripmas. People aren't holding the handle ends. Is that okay?

3 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

True. But one things I noticed from this video and the gripmas. People aren't holding the handle ends. Is that okay?

Holding them by the end or not?  Heavy Hammers pull the skin on your hands down.  Start at the ends and after a few reps there will be some space showing.

Slim-Hammers-bw.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Holding them by the end or not?  Heavy Hammers pull the skin on your hands down.  Start at the ends and after a few reps there will be some space showing.

Slim-Hammers-bw.jpg

Yeah. But others were holding a bit higher. That is okay but it WILL add a rep or two. Just saying.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:46 AM, climber511 said:

In 2009 I had a one hand (supported at arm level to the floor) sledge lever to the face with a safety rack at Gripmas.  Two people did 29.5# to win the event.  Mike Kraling and bob Lipinski.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ytWguX_aLkXm5AdGcv3GbAfRHwIZP5jvA3cdAAgLLCk/edit#gid=0

Can somebody with access tell me what young Rindo got on the sledge at this contest?  Grassyass!

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

No.... that’s not ok..... if it’s not held at the end then it’s not maximum torque on the wrist! If a sledgehammer lever is legit then it’s done from the very end... for training to get up to the bigger hammer then up the shaft is ok.... but only for training purposes in my book! If it isn’t levered from the end of the hammer handle then it is not legit. 

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Capture+_2017-12-18-15-44-05.png

Some were closer than others.  It was a great event regardless.

As a young man of 42 at The 2009 Gripmas Carol, I did 23 lbs from a dead stop.  I think I did 22 or so once with plates duct taped to a 12 lb sledge.

18 hours ago, anwnate said:

Capture+_2017-12-18-15-44-05.png

Some were closer than others.  It was a great event regardless.

A great event indeed! This is okay. But there are others who did like below pic. This might add a rep or two. Some others were same. Just saying bro. Overall I think even if they got one or two reps less the results were still same.

IMG_20171219_185954.jpg.58de0cd6263201155c8c57a5212bb45e.jpg

IMG_20171219_190005.jpg