How much can you guys sledge face lever?

23 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

tried the 20 pounder. How did I do? Post your best sledge lever video for motivation!

Joe you made that look fairly easy. Awesome big guy!! What was total weight of sledge?

Edited by Kluv#0

This is my best face a lever: a 16lb sledge for 2 reps while trying to hold a 10kg bell in a crucifix. 20lb is monstrous! I'm hoping Santa brings me two 12lb hammers so I can work on a double crucifix lever.

VID-20171107-WA0000.mp4

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

This is my best face a lever: a 16lb sledge for 2 reps while trying to hold a 10kg bell in a crucifix. 20lb is monstrous! I'm hoping Santa brings me two 12lb hammers so I can work on a double crucifix lever.

VID-20171107-WA0000.mp4

Hey Andy I can't see your video brother. If you sent it from your existing photos they don't seem to load as I had the same problem. The way I post my videos is from YouTube by cutting and pasting the link on your comment here on gripboard. I am a subscriber to your you tube too bro. Yes the 2 12s are awesome for double crucifix! One of my many favorite feats bro! God bless you and yours!

24lbs. But not to standard. I bonked the sledge on my dome and my arm was a couple of inches below parallel. Ive done 20-22 to standard, im just terrible i videoing these thing because i do it randomly.

Im almost close to a full 12lbs on the front lever as well. Ive toned down a bit due to picking up bending. One day ill do a cycle of nothing but face levers and achieve my 30 pound goal. 

Edit: Your arm is about where mine was when i attempted 23lb. I got reamed for it. I think yours is way better, excellent job brother.  

Edited by KapMan

Let's try this

• Like 5

In 2009 I had a one hand (supported at arm level to the floor) sledge lever to the face with a safety rack at Gripmas.  Two people did 29.5# to win the event.  Mike Kraling and bob Lipinski.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ytWguX_aLkXm5AdGcv3GbAfRHwIZP5jvA3cdAAgLLCk/edit#gid=0

5 minutes ago, climber511 said:

In 2009 I had a one hand (supported at arm level to the floor) sledge lever to the face with a safety rack at Gripmas.  Two people did 29.5# to win the event.  Mike Kraling and bob Lipinski.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ytWguX_aLkXm5AdGcv3GbAfRHwIZP5jvA3cdAAgLLCk/edit#gid=0

29 f’in pounds. Well atleast now I know its possible lol

51 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Joe you made that look fairly easy. Awesome big guy!! What was total weight of sledge?

20 pound head.... don't know total weight though. Thanks brother . Sledge and anvil are my specialty!

16 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dubester that was AWESOME brother! I love levering with things in my other hand! Nice job!

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! Do you know what a Whitley getup is? Basically a turkish getup with a slim lever in the bottom position.  I'm working on a tough variation right now that I think you'll like!

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! Do you know what a Whitley getup is? Basically a turkish getup with a slim lever in the bottom position.  I'm working on a tough variation right now that I think you'll like!

No brother can’t say I do! I am very new at this Grip game and am just learning the lingo! I am in this until God no longer allows it!

40 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Dubester that was AWESOME brother! I love levering with things in my other hand! Nice job!

we have similar tastes in feats brother! 145ish anvil and 16 pounder simultaneously 

We just use the head weight (plus whatever plate weight I add on).  I have nuts welded onto the heads so I can bolt extra plates onto them.  So for Gripmas I have a pair of 10# sledges with the handles bolted together - this is the base weight(can't go any lower) and will be the light setup for the event.  I can then add on however much weight I choose above that.  Just a guess at this point but the heavy weight for the event will be around 32# for the pair.  One rep with the heavy setup will beat any number done with the light setup.  This will be in my rack setup - arms supported at parallel to the floor and with a "safety" so you can't brain yourself.

7 minutes ago, climber511 said:

We just use the head weight (plus whatever plate weight I add on).  I have nuts welded onto the heads so I can bolt extra plates onto them.  So for Gripmas I have a pair of 10# sledges with the handles bolted together - this is the base weight(can't go any lower) and will be the light setup for the event.  I can then add on however much weight I choose above that.  Just a guess at this point but the heavy weight for the event will be around 32# for the pair.  One rep with the heavy setup will beat any number done with the light setup.  This will be in my rack setup - arms supported at parallel to the floor and with a "safety" so you can't brain yourself.

Yes I do the same in using the hammer head weight only . I have notice some people on their videos posting the total weight with 32 inch handle included.

16lbs first full attempt.  

Went for a 20 a few after this and injured something in my hand/wrist that lasted for months.  20 to the face is something I've wanted to do for a while, maybe I'll get back to this.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KRC said:

16lbs first full attempt.  

Went for a 20 a few after this and injured something in my hand/wrist that lasted for months.  20 to the face is something I've wanted to do for a while, maybe I'll get back to this.  

That 16 lever was intense! Nice job! Keep practicing and the 20 will be conquered! You can practice with a 20 placed on your head and trying to perform the concentric phase of the lift to get used to the load. You can also perform slow eccentric phase lowering and some wear a helmet to tap it on he head to avoid injury. Good luck!

1 hour ago, terminal said:

@Andrew Dube Extra point for doing that in the snow, brother.

Thanks Al! Training doesn't stop here in the winter. Though I did crawl back into my igloo after this to warm up with a Tim's!

• Like 2

On 11/7/2017 at 9:46 AM, climber511 said:

One thing that I should mention is that these are all from a dead stop.  You lowered the sledge to the rack - paused and then levered it up to vertical - it's harder than getting a stretch reflex like when we do it free handed.

All I can is 12LB but because that's what I have. Should get a 20 and attempt it. Dunno if I can though.

7 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

All I can is 12LB but because that's what I have. Should get a 20 and attempt it. Dunno if I can though.

The 12 and the 20 are miles apart. Be careful as it could wreck your wrist if tried to jump to a higher hammer before the tissues are accustomed to it my brother.