Help on kink.

KapMan

I did a quick search and found that weightlifting specifically back and shoulders helps with building a more powerful kink.

i cant lift. Do you guys think i can supplement body weight exercises that work those same areas? Thoughts?

• Like 1

Do isometrics where you hook your hands together under your chin, (4 fingers bent) and pull apart. Start like 75% intensity, hold for 5 or 10 seconds. You can also move left/right at a little lower intensity.

Shawn are you still bending double underhand? 

• Like 1

Why no lifting? Injury or no access to weights? I had the same question as Andrew to, DU?

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Shawn are you still bending double underhand? 

Yes. Ive gotten very slight bends in the bigger stock. 1/4 square and a piece of 9/32. I cant seem to generate enough torque here.

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Why no lifting? Injury or no access to weights? I had the same question as Andrew to, DU?

I had to stop lifting due to severe pain and feeling like ass despite diet abd exercise modifications, it just got too much. Tearing cards, bending, sledge levering and bodyweight stuff do not bother me to the point I need to stop. 

You can do isometrics. Isometrics with steel in different positions. Isometrics with a wooden dowell I have found helpful for DU kink.  Also, you can do isos to strengthen any body part you would strengthen with lifting. The amount of different iso movements is almost unlimited. Bending is very isometric in nature, so strengthening your back, shoulders or whatever you want with isos would carry over well.

I missed this was underhand, I was talking about overhand for those isos

7 hours ago, wobbler said:

I missed this was underhand, I was talking about overhand for those isos

No biggie.

The tips for DO will come in handy too. Right now the plan is to destroy as much as I can DU. 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, KapMan said:

I did a quick search and found that weightlifting specifically back and shoulders helps with building a more powerful kink.

i cant lift. Do you guys think i can supplement body weight exercises that work those same areas? Thoughts?

@KapMan I was the strongest DU I've ever been when my shoulders were still healthy enough to do pullups.  Not even weighted pullups.  Just plain pullups.  Actually, parallel-grip pullups were what my training diary pointed to as having the most carryover to DU bending strength improvements.  Someone else mentioned a wooden dowel for isos and I second that.  I had a thick wooden dowel cut to 7" that I carried around a lot for a period of time when I was chasing big DU bends.  I also had a few shorter ones but I didn't like them because they were uncomfortable to put a ton of pressure into bare handed.  And that's what I was doing with the 7" long dowel.  I can't remember the exact dimensions, but I would guess it was around 3/4" diameter because I never broke it bare handed. 

I also experimented with sledge levering and it had absolutely no effect (positive or negative) on my bending in any style.  So I dropped it. 

7 hours ago, bencrush said:

@KapMan I was the strongest DU I've ever been when my shoulders were still healthy enough to do pullups.  Not even weighted pullups.  Just plain pullups.  Actually, parallel-grip pullups were what my training diary pointed to as having the most carryover to DU bending strength improvements.  Someone else mentioned a wooden dowel for isos and I second that.  I had a thick wooden dowel cut to 7" that I carried around a lot for a period of time when I was chasing big DU bends.  I also had a few shorter ones but I didn't like them because they were uncomfortable to put a ton of pressure into bare handed.  And that's what I was doing with the 7" long dowel.  I can't remember the exact dimensions, but I would guess it was around 3/4" diameter because I never broke it bare handed. 

I also experimented with sledge levering and it had absolutely no effect (positive or negative) on my bending in any style.  So I dropped it. 

More pullups it is!

ill grab a dowel. Easy enough and I like the idea of taking it with me for use. Any suggestions on how much to use it? Right now im lookong to bend 1-2 times a week. I got to get more 1/4 round..

19 hours ago, KapMan said:

More pullups it is!

ill grab a dowel. Easy enough and I like the idea of taking it with me for use. Any suggestions on how much to use it? Right now im lookong to bend 1-2 times a week. I got to get more 1/4 round..

I was using mine anywhere from 3 to a dozen HARD iso hits each day for a period of about 3 months.  I couldn't continue doing it because of some other injuries around that time that got slightly worse, but I can say that I am pretty sure all the isos didn't hurt me at all.  Or didn't accelerate my already hurt shoulders.  I actually felt like all the isos was helping heal me.  But my job was pretty rough on me physically around that time, and that didn't help things. 

Also I should mention that I don't think DU isos with the dowel will help you if you intend to bend Modified DU vs. "traditional DU."  And if you know anything about my bending strength progression over the period of 2006 to 2008, you'll know that I have nothing against Modified DU at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bencrush said:

I was using mine anywhere from 3 to a dozen HARD iso hits each day for a period of about 3 months.  I couldn't continue doing it because of some other injuries around that time that got slightly worse, but I can say that I am pretty sure all the isos didn't hurt me at all.  Or didn't accelerate my already hurt shoulders.  I actually felt like all the isos was helping heal me.  But my job was pretty rough on me physically around that time, and that didn't help things. 

Also I should mention that I don't think DU isos with the dowel will help you if you intend to bend Modified DU vs. "traditional DU."  And if you know anything about my bending strength progression over the period of 2006 to 2008, you'll know that I have nothing against Modified DU at all. 

Not even sure what modified DU is 

20 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Not even sure what modified DU is 

Sorry man, I don't visit the bending forum much anymore and just figured the term was still in use.  It is basically a version of DU where you put your hands way out on the ends of the bar like an upside-down DO bend.  Much more leverage and possibility for huge bends that way.  This is the method that I did my DU Fantastic Bastard (also did it DO) in.  It beat my best traditional (hands almost or actually touching in the center of the bar) by about 1/2".  Which is a pretty big difference at the Mag and Fantastic range.  I also kinked a 3.5" Bastard Modified DU to something like 30+ degrees.  So like I said, if you're not familiar with Modified DU - it might be the time to get to know it!:D

I honestly don't remember who the first person to use the style Modified, but it suddenly occurred to me that it was probably Mike Hadland - Booyah.  A FANTASTIC bender in all three unbraced short bending styles.  I wonder what happened to him...hope he is doing well!  He is a terrific guy. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Sorry man, I don't visit the bending forum much anymore and just figured the term was still in use.  It is basically a version of DU where you put your hands way out on the ends of the bar like an upside-down DO bend.  Much more leverage and possibility for huge bends that way.  This is the method that I did my DU Fantastic Bastard (also did it DO) in.  It beat my best traditional (hands almost or actually touching in the center of the bar) by about 1/2".  Which is a pretty big difference at the Mag and Fantastic range.  I also kinked a 3.5" Bastard Modified DU to something like 30+ degrees.  So like I said, if you're not familiar with Modified DU - it might be the time to get to know it!:D

I honestly don't remember who the first person to use the style Modified, but it suddenly occurred to me that it was probably Mike Hadland - Booyah.  A FANTASTIC bender in all three unbraced short bending styles.  I wonder what happened to him...hope he is doing well!  He is a terrific guy. 

I put the bar slightly past the center of the wrap so more of my hand is on the bar.

next workout ill try this modified technique. With the aid of weightlifting I gotta take any advantage I can. 

My understanding of modified du was basically wraps just far enough on the bar to stay (like 1" or so) and bigger/double wraps usually.

6 hours ago, bencrush said:

Ben, how long would you hold the isos for? 100 percent effort or something less? Did you use isos for reverse or DO? Thanks.  

I've always levered a sledgehammer even when I stopped. When I returned I notice I didn't lose any strength because I was still easily bending shiny bastards etc. It also helps to bend only in single ironmind pads or 10" by 4" suede.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:35 AM, Donc101 said:

Ben, how long would you hold the isos for? 100 percent effort or something less? Did you use isos for reverse or DO? Thanks.  

Always did a slow ramp up to 100% effort on any iso I did. Total time was around 6 seconds. 

Did not do isos for reverse, only because reverse bending gave me some serious issues/long lasting injuries. Definitely did isos for DO. 

• Like 1