SJ's Four-for-February (February 24th, 2018)

anwnate

Quick update.

We lost Matt Hunt and Matt Kraenbring.  They are going to some far away dangerous country to guard a base.  No lie.  Could be the weirdest reason to back out of a contest I've ever heard.  I believe they leave the States in 12 days.

On the other end...Don Smitley is now a definite.  Wooohooo!

Shawn, Vinnie and Tom are all strong Maybe's now.  Yea!

• Like 1

After SJ4 last year I could not miss out on this one! :)

july-4-page-banner.jpg

Edited by acromegaman
Removed redundancy
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Haha!  Awesome!  Can't wait to see you man. :)

• Like 1

That is an awesome "Delmar Cometh" poster and I'm very glad to hear it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

That is an awesome "Delmar Cometh" poster and I'm very glad to hear it!

I'm glad someone liked it. My wife told me I look like a nerd. LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing y'all again. I had an absolute blast last time:-)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, acromegaman said:

I'm glad someone liked it. My wife told me I look like a nerd. LOL. I'm looking forward to seeing y'all again. I had an absolute blast last time:-)

Your wifes just jealous she doesn't have her own picture holding a gripper with background explosions - more good times to come!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be able to be at this comp but at the request of the promoter I will be sending some stuff to Jersey. Y'all better bring your A games to the competition. Now where did I put that hose clamp...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

I will be able to be at this comp and at the request of the promoter I will be bringing some stuff to Jersey. Y'all better bring your A games to the competition. Now where did I put that hose clamp...

@JHenze646  I fixed your post for you. :rock

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey guys! Nate mentioned the idea of having another bending contest this year after the main portion of SJ4 for February, so we brainstormed a bit and came up with the following. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

The 60d/ G5 Bend-Off 2018!

Rules

·         This is a timed contest so whoever racks up the most points during their attempt wins!

·         Only one set of pads can be used to bend. No doubles.

o    Ironmind pads or FBBC/ Horne Suedes are acceptable. Bring your own or use the house IM pads.

o   2 set of wraps can be pre-rolled before attempts, but no bars should be in either set of wraps before time starts.

·         Time limit will be 3 minutes. (This will depend on how many participate).

·         Time will start when first bend is initiated. Time will not stop once started.

·         DO, DU, Reverse acceptable, but all finished bends shall be 2” or less between stock ends to count.

o   Extra points awarded for starting bend with DU or Reverse style. The judge must conclude if the initial bend was substantial enough to count for extra points.

·         No bracing. Hands and arms must not contact any part of the body below the waist. If this occurs, it is up to the judge’s discretion if the bend will be counted.

·         One rubber band per wrap at any one time allowed. A fresh band can replace damaged if needed, but time will not stop. Bands will be provided.

·         Highest total poundage wins contest.

Bar Stock Size

DO Points

Started DU Points

Started Reverse Points

60d (Headless)

¼”x 6” G5 (Headless)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, acromegaman said:

Hey guys! Nate mentioned the idea of having another bending contest this year after the main portion of SJ4 for February, so we brainstormed a bit and came up with the following. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

The 60d/ G5 Bend-Off 2018!

Rules

·         This is a timed contest so whoever racks up the most points during their attempt wins!

·         Only one set of pads can be used to bend. No doubles.

o    Ironmind pads or FBBC/ Horne Suedes are acceptable. Bring your own or use the house IM pads.

o   2 set of wraps can be pre-rolled before attempts, but no bars should be in either set of wraps before time starts.

·         Time limit will be 3 minutes. (This will depend on how many participate).

·         Time will start when first bend is initiated. Time will not stop once started.

·         DO, DU, Reverse acceptable, but all finished bends shall be 2” or less between stock ends to count.

o   Extra points awarded for starting bend with DU or Reverse style. The judge must conclude if the initial bend was substantial enough to count for extra points.

·         No bracing. Hands and arms must not contact any part of the body below the waist. If this occurs, it is up to the judge’s discretion if the bend will be counted.

·         One rubber band per wrap at any one time allowed. A fresh band can replace damaged if needed, but time will not stop. Bands will be provided.

·         Highest total poundage wins contest.

Bar Stock Size

DO Points

Started DU Points

Started Reverse Points

60d (Headless)

¼”x 6” G5 (Headless)

6 pounds for barehanded🧐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KapMan said:

6 pounds for barehanded🧐

Did you mean points?

17 hours ago, KapMan said:

Yeah that too

Starting it in your teeth gets you 7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frank and I were talking about a swap/sell to go on after the comp.  I'm all for it.  Feel free to bring anything you'd like to SJ's 4ForFeb.

Additionally, any used or new equipment you'd like to donate to the prize pool...feel free.  Its a great community...because of those people in it! I'm going to donate some lighter duplicate blobs...and just made 9 "interim" hubs to donate20180125_153146.jpg.  I call them interim because they will work till you pull the trigger on an IM hub or dubhub what have you.  They are also great loaners for peeps you are introducing to grip.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Frank and I were talking about a swap/sell to go on after the comp.

i was actually going to ask about this. Pretty cool. I think I got at least a couple items I can sell. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Frank and I were talking about a swap/sell to go on after the comp.  I'm all for it.  Feel free to bring anything you'd like to SJ's 4ForFeb.

Additionally, any used or new equipment you'd like to donate to the prize pool...feel free.  Its a great community...because of those people in it! I'm going to donate some lighter duplicate blobs...and just made 9 "interim" hubs to donate20180125_153146.jpg.  I call them interim because they will work till you pull the trigger on an IM hub or dubhub what have you.  They are also great loaners for peeps you are introducing to grip.

Killer idea for hubs to get people into it.

21 hours ago, Chez said:

i was actually going to ask about this. Pretty cool. I think I got at least a couple items I can sell. 

I would like all items you have for sale but I am not willing to pay for them - is that negotiable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got word from two gripsters they are sending sponsorship packages...simply because they are cool cats.

Much appreciated.  I'll share the contents when they arrive.

Divided basement into three sections...warm up area, milling area and comp area. 

Set up the 37" screen in milling area/ran wire to the comp laptop.  Also printed out/hung current NAGS and World Records in each event for general comparison and attempts.

Also took Maria's advice and (besides the 3'x7' banner) printed out/hung several single paper lb/kg conversion charts so you could make jump decisions from anywhere in the gym.

Bit by bit...comp is coming together.

• Like 5

I'll switch my maybe to definite -- I think it has sunk in enough that my wife knows it's gonna happen.  Only thing in the back of my mind is that her dad's health issues do sometimes spoil our plans, even vacations, but that can be true for anyone at any time and would be forgiven if it did.

I don't know if I will have my wife and son along to watch -- that may be a last minute decision on her part.  But that you probably don't really need to know.

• Like 3

Nate - change my "Maybe" to "Solid."  I should be going, barring any last-minute emergencies.How many people do you think will be doing the bending part?  Any idea on numbers yet?  Never really tried something like that, but it seems interesting.  

• Like 6