Bending Goliath

Andrew Dube

Great bend brother...  superb!!  💪🏻💪🏻💯

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Did you buy the Goliath bar you bought from online metals? You bend any yet? What would you think is the difference in difficulty between it and 3/4” round at the same length? Any difference in technique between the round and flat? Thanks.

I bought a .5x1.25x48 and a goliath, .5x1.5x48 both from onlinemetals.  I was unable to kink the smaller bar.

For comparison I bent a 3/4" round my second time ever braced bending.  To me there was a big difference with flat vs round.  The leverage weaknesses of my kink were exacerbated and I couldn't apply force in any meaningful way.  I think this has to do more with my leverages and lack of flexibility at the moment more than anything else, but grip and angles were changed with the flat.    

I'm going to come back to it in a few weeks and I'm confident i can bend it.  Seeing Andrew bend the bigger bar - BAREHANDED - is even more impressive after my failure.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KRC said:

I bought a .5x1.25x48 and a goliath, .5x1.5x48 both from onlinemetals.  I was unable to kink the smaller bar.

For comparison I bent a 3/4" round my second time ever braced bending.  To me there was a big difference with flat vs round.  The leverage weaknesses of my kink were exacerbated and I couldn't apply force in any meaningful way.  I think this has to do more with my leverages and lack of flexibility at the moment more than anything else, but grip and angles were changed with the flat.    

I'm going to come back to it in a few weeks and I'm confident i can bend it.  Seeing Andrew bend the bigger bar - BAREHANDED - is even more impressive after my failure.  

Keep us posted on your progress. 

• Like 1

Im buying one and trying it out. I may suck at short bars but i have a feeling ill do fine in the long bars.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KRC said:

Thank you Kevin! I did use some swede wraps and a small towel, however. I don't find wraps that important bending this style but the bar is very wide and feels awkward in the hand. Goliath is much harder than 3/4" round. IMO 1/2"x1" and 3/4" round are comparable. Maybe the flat is a little easier. And Goliath is 50% more material than that.

I usually buy my metal from work but also frequent https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ for more odd sizes. I'm lucky to have one in town maybe there's one near you too!

I'm now thinking about taking another crack at his bar. I'm confident I can cut my time in half!

• Like 3

Yes, prior to bending I calculated volume and area for both bars and they were both significantly higher than the 3/4" round.  I didn't have high hopes :)

Post the video when you have it Andrew!

Find a local Iron and Metal place or Salvage yard that sells new metal. This stuff is about under $2/ft where I get my material, so much cheaper than the online price

35 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Thank you Kevin! I did use some swede wraps and a small towel, however. I don't find wraps that important bending this style but the bar is very wide and feels awkward in the hand. Goliath is much harder than 3/4" round. IMO 1/2"x1" and 3/4" round are comparable. Maybe the flat is a little easier. And Goliath is 50% more material than that.

I usually buy my metal from work but also frequent https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ for more odd sizes. I'm lucky to have one in town maybe there's one near you too!

I'm now thinking about taking another crack at his bar. I'm confident I can cut my time in half!

I have one near me. They didnt have 1/4 and 9/32 crs hex anywhere in 1018 or 1045. They said theyd call when they found some. 3 weeks later lol still nothing. They did try to give me the softer crs grade

Going to try getting HRS stuff from them. 

Second time, better than before but still not where I'd like it to be. Fumbled too much in the beginning but the last time I bent this style was Goliath 2-3 months ago. Documentation skills need some work too. I spent the day visualizing the bend while playing stranglehold  in my head so I knew when I heard it it was go time!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Second time, better than before but still not where I'd like it to be. Fumbled too much in the beginning but the last time I bent this style was Goliath 2-3 months ago. Documentation skills need some work too. I spent the day visualizing the bend while playing stranglehold  in my head so I knew when I heard it it was go time!

You mention yoh believed the size was 49” in length. Did you measure it? 

David whitely bent a goliath that was 48”

i thought the size was supposed to be 40 

33 minutes ago, KapMan said:

You mention yoh believed the size was 49” in length. Did you measure it? 

David whitely bent a goliath that was 48”

i thought the size was supposed to be 40 

48" is the correct size. The last one I bought was 49 already at the steel shop and I didn't want to bother them with cutting off that last inch.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, acromegaman said:

Phenomenal bend Andrew! Makes me want to try it even more 😀

I feel like we can do this. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

48" is the correct size. The last one I bought was 49 already at the steel shop and I didn't want to bother them with cutting off that last inch.

Word. Nice job regardless. The goliath is a bench mark bend im sure

1 hour ago, acromegaman said:

Phenomenal bend Andrew! Makes me want to try it even more 😀

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Word. Nice job regardless. The goliath is a bench mark bend im sure

34 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Great job Andrew! This is on my list to do this year.

Thank you guys! I would not have done this without all your encouragement.