2017 October - King Kong - Iisalmi, Finland - Jesse Pynnönen

Mywor

King Kong 2017, Iisalmi, Finland

(I did not use calculator to convert from kilos to pounds, so they may be a bit off)

This has been my first year competing in grip sport and even though I didn´t expect too much from King Kong 2017 some people placed me quite high in overall positions. I have done well in the past in pinch and rolling handle events against best guys in the world, but for me the strength did not transfer that well to Crusher or to the Flask.  Anyway, I wanted to get all the experience I could so I traveled 8 hours in a bus to Iisalmi King Kong 2017 Iisalmi venue.

There were 11 competitors with age ranging from 10yo to 53yo and weight classes from -59 to +120kg.

Event 1 – Flask

I had a game plan set for the Flask with starting around 42kg/93lbs and hopefully finishing around 47-49kg/ 104-109lbs. I´m a 100% believer in specific training at least three months away from competition and this is something I did not take in to account for King Kong (arrogance I guess).  Anyway, I got my ass kicked by Jouni Mähönen with a 49.15kg/109lbs lift and Henri Sonninen 47.10kg/104lbs while I only lifted my first attempt 41.9kg/93lbs.  Fenne Muhonen and Niko Junnilainen also managed to lift 40.9kg/90lbs with much lower bodyweight and hand size compared to me.

Event 2 – 2.5 Crusher

This is the event that people expected me to do very well, but I must say Jouni Mähönen really nailed this one pulling 86.3kg/190lbs which means he improved 5kg from last years King Kong. I finished at 86.3kg/190lbs and missed 89kg/196lbs. In my opinion 2.5 Crusher is a lot more about thumb strength compared to Rolling Thunder/Axle lifts, and this is something I will be working on. Pekka Lähderinne, Niko Junnilainen , Miika Lappalainen all pulled over 150lbs at -83kg/182lbs BW.

Event 3 –  The Stub

The Stub... While most guys have been focusing on how much it sucks these guys at Iisalmi have been working on it since the dawn of time…. Everyone absolutely crushed me, out of 11 competitors I was 9:th with 17.5kg/ 38.5lbs and ripping the skin of with a 20kg/44lbs attempt. Lauri Mähönen pulled 8.5kg at the age of ten. Eight guys pulled over 20kg/44lbs in Stub, six over 22.5kg/49lbs with Jouni Mähönen, Henri Sonninen and Tuomo Kärkkäinen pulling 24.5kg/54lbs.  

It´s ridiculous how good these guys are at any key pinch device, but it just shows how much they have been working on them. I´m still absolutely amazed by their performance in the Stub

Event 4 – V-Bar

Finally, something that I’m quite confident at and after finishing under my own expectations in the first three events I had to crush it. My last warm up was 130kg/286lbs, but I decided to take 130kg as my first attempt as well, because I was warming up with a 2 V-Bar replica. My second attempt 140kg/308lbs flew up easily as well. I took the risk to attempt 150.55kg / 331lbs as my third attempt which was worth it and it was a good lift. My last attempt was 151.75/ 333lbs, but it was a no lift.

Overall the competition was well organized and the atmosphere was amazing. Everyone wanted to win, but at the same time we had tons of humor and support in the air. King Kong 2017 was best learning experience I could have at this point of grip “career”, and I can´t wait for King Kong 2018 where my goal is to be #1 overall.

Thanks to organizer Jouni Mähönen and his wife, and referee Juha Remes

Jesse Pynnönen

• Like 8

Awesome job Jesse - you guys all beasted it over there and I'm looking forward to coming to Finland next year in June to lift with you guys!! @riccardomagni

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

Awesome job Jesse - you guys all beasted it over there and I'm looking forward to coming to Finland next year in June to lift with you guys!! @riccardomagni

5 hours ago, riccardomagni said:

That makes two of us!

We are all super hyped that you guys are coming! The competition is going to be awesome for sure, I can´t wait :) It´s definitely something everyone is aiming to win, since there is so many top level gripsters. Winning means nothing without the top level competitors.

• Like 1