2017 October - King Kong -- South Jersey - Rich Cottrell

richcottrell

Going to start this topic right now so I am forced to write a trip report before them memory fades...

I forget when Nate Brous decided to host his leg of the King Kong, but that personally saved me a few hours drive from the original venue I would have gone to.  That also allowed me to see my children the night of the competition, and go to a Halloween party with my wife as well.
[Thank you Mr. Ambassador]

For those who did not make it to the SJ4 after party; Nate Brous' basement gym is a grip valhalla!
His space is a full gym with ample seating for rest and spectators.  The walls are covered with photos of Grip Athletes from across the world, so when your killing time, you have stuff to look at.  Sure it is a basement, but it has become more of a grip community training center as Nate has hosed weekly group training cessions.  In the weeks leading up to King Kong, people had a chance to use the actual Flask, Crusher, V-Bar and Stub that Nate would contest the competition with.

He has all the challenge items one could dream of like the Inch Replica, the 36K circus bell, and infamous Mann-a-nuff; as well as a full flight of blobs from sub 20lbs to the Blob and Blobzilla sized block weights.

We had a small group for the King Kong, but it was a fun group....

Before I can say anything about the actual competition, I need to fast forward to the end of the day for me.  A few weeks before the competition at one of Nate's group training sessions, inspired by Gill's York Hub transfer with a clap, I decided to do Stub Transfers.  After pulling it off with 7 or 8lbs I bragged jokingly that I now had a world record.
[Notteriety through Obscurity].
Anyway, after the King Kong and after pizza and beer we returned to the basement.  I decided I should try the Stub transfer again.  After a few catches and a few misses, I tried to take it to over 10lbs.  After a few more drops I sadly broke the base off Nate's WOG loading pin.  In dropping it even with the low weight, the height was enough to break the welds.
Sorry big fella.

I now owe Nate not only for hosting another great competition, but he gets my World of Grip loading pin next time I see him.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Going to start this topic right now so I am forced to write a trip report before them memory fades...

I forget when Nate Brous decided to host his leg of the King Kong, but that personally saved me a few hours drive from the original venue I would have gone to.  That also allowed me to see my children the night of the competition, and go to a Halloween party with my wife as well.
[Thank you Mr. Ambassador]

For those who did not make it to the SJ4 after party; Nate Brous' basement gym is a grip valhalla!
His space is a full gym with ample seating for rest and spectators.  The walls are covered with photos of Grip Athletes from across the world, so when your killing time, you have stuff to look at.  Sure it is a basement, but it has become more of a grip community training center as Nate has hosed weekly group training cessions.  In the weeks leading up to King Kong, people had a chance to use the actual Flask, Crusher, V-Bar and Stub that Nate would contest the competition with.

He has all the challenge items one could dream of like the Inch Replica, the 36K circus bell, and infamous Mann-a-nuff; as well as a full flight of blobs from sub 20lbs to the Blob and Blobzilla sized block weights.

We had a small group for the King Kong, but it was a fun group....

Before I can say anything about the actual competition, I need to fast forward to the end of the day for me.  A few weeks before the competition at one of Nate's group training sessions, inspired by Gill's York Hub transfer with a clap, I decided to do Stub Transfers.  After pulling it off with 7 or 8lbs I bragged jokingly that I now had a world record.
[Notteriety through Obscurity].
Anyway, after the King Kong and after pizza and beer we returned to the basement.  I decided I should try the Stub transfer again.  After a few catches and a few misses, I tried to take it to over 10lbs.  After a few more drops I sadly broke the base off Nate's WOG loading pin.  In dropping it even with the low weight, the height was enough to break the welds.
Sorry big fella.

I now owe Nate not only for hosting another great competition, but he gets my World of Grip loading pin next time I see him.

Please video a stub transfer for me (slow motion please). That sounds like a ridiculous feat of dexterity and grip strength.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Gil, 

sorry but no one got video of the one successfully did.

the weight was low so it was not as impressive as you might think, but next time I do try it I will get a video for you

rich