My first contest experience King Kong 2017

Good morning fellow grip fanatics! This is the morning after my first ever contest experience and I would like to share it with you all. I must admit I did not know what to expect and had no expectations for performing well as we all know gym lifts might not equate into contest lifts...it appeared to be a chess game with choosing the right weight so that was definitely new to me. I competed in one powerlifting competition back in 05 and pulled 630 in the deadlift.... but that was the extent of my contest experience. I was pleasantly surprised with the camaraderie and  motivation we all gave each other! That is what I am looking to give others in this interesting sport. I was very conservative in my attempts on the flask as this is a new lift.... well they all are pretty new lifts to me no longer than this year. I topped out at 80 on the flask and that's about what I was expecting.i bought a flask from Gil Goodman at the beginning of this month. The 2.5 inch crusher was next and I was happy with my pull of 170.01. I felt like I had more in the tank but ran out of attempts. Now for my sad news.... at least for me....was the 2 inch VBAR. I was aiming for over 300 as I have easily done this in training. I got to 282 and pulled that with ease very high. My final attempt was 302.... I am not into chalk very much on Vbar.... I like it on the dry side. I went for my attempt and made my best effort to dust it all off... I set myself up for the pull and it started going up.... and then.... it slipped out! I was very unhappy but did not show it so much. On the bright side it was the top Vbar pull at my venue in my weight class and the same weight as veteran grip monster Lucas Raymond.... so I will gladly take that for my first time! And then there was everyone's favorite .... the stub! Not much experience with this and I topped out with a measly 30 pounds! Ha oh well! All in all I had an AWESOME time and can't wait for more! After the event some of us went back to Jedds for a little feats of strength ala Seinfeld! Ha! I attempted the inch dumbbell and just missed lockout for 3 attempts! I'll take that considering it was post a 5 hour competition! We then had some pizza provided by Jedds lovely wife Delraine and just reflected on the days event! My thanks to my good friend Jedd Johnson for encouraging me to get involved competitively in this great sport! He has become a welcome part of my life! I give all my thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ for everything I have and without Him I can do nothing! I hope you all had a great experience and look forward to hearing about  yours! It was also awesome to meet guys I've followed on the net such as big Mike  Rinderle, Chris Tank Andrade, and many others that I have now come in contact with including a few great guys local to me! Thank you to all for welcoming his newbie in to the family of grip!

Joe Sullivan

Edited by Guest
Spelling

Thanks for the write up mate! And good attempt on the inch after the long contest. Good numbers on the v-bar and amazing lift on the flask. Congrast! Btw how big are your hands?

This brings up a question I've always had.  Does grip training increase hand thickness? 

49 minutes ago, IvankoGripper said:

This brings up a question I've always had.  Does grip training increase hand thickness? 

I think it does.  I do not even train like i would like to.. or I should, but even with a few “recreational grip training years” under my belt, my wedding ring has never been tighter.

i now need to use some soap every time I take it off.

7 hours ago, IvankoGripper said:

For me it has in my thumb pad and I have to use soap to take off my wedding ring..

On 10/29/2017 at 10:43 PM, IvankoGripper said:

I can barely use the baseball gloves I used in high school and collge these days, due to the increase in thickness in my hands.

Great job, Saturday, Joe, and excellent write-up.  The Inch will come up all the way soon.  I rarely see anybody that can break it 4 inches or so, like you did, over and over with no rest in between.  As I say on the Inch Dumbbell DVD, if you break it you bought it, meaning if you can break it off the ground, you can probably lift it with the right conditions.

6 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Great job, Saturday, Joe, and excellent write-up.  The Inch will come up all the way soon.  I rarely see anybody that can break it 4 inches or so, like you did, over and over with no rest in between.  As I say on the Inch Dumbbell DVD, if you break it you bought it, meaning if you can break it off the ground, you can probably lift it with the right conditions.

Thanks big man! You and Luke are my inspiration brother! If it wasn't for you guys I would have never gotten into this! Thanks brother and God bless!

On 10/29/2017 at 9:43 PM, IvankoGripper said:

For sure it does.

Thanks WannaG.  Grip training is by far the most enjoyable thing I've ever done since becoming interested in weightlifting almost 35yrs ago.

2 minutes ago, IvankoGripper said:

Thanks WannaG.  Grip training is by far the most enjoyable thing I've ever done since becoming interested in weightlifting almost 35yrs ago.

Same here brother! Surpasses everything else in my book!