Dumbest Things You Have Done in Grip That You Do NOT Recommend

Bill Piche

What are the stupidest things you have done in grip that you DO NOT recommend?  If this thread gets long enough we can pin it.

I will start.  Single digit type training is probably my stupidest thing I have done.  It can be very dangerous.  Luckily I was able to not get seriously injured.

Not performing extension work was probably another one for me.  

• Like 1

1- Not taking grippers seriously. Get close it whenever I feel like it without warming up or gyming. That screwed my middle finger knuckle well lol

2- Thinking grippers were everything in grip when in fact thick bar and pinch is better and more functional.

3- Don't have schedule time for grip or not dedicating time for it.

4- Should be overall strong to have good grip so don't focus on grip alone.

5- Trying to mimic others who achieved good results without experimenting.

6- EDIT: Oh yeah over doing things which got my hands in a cast last year. 

7- EDIT: Testing your strength more than training it.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 4

Drinking too much beer and trying to bend nails without any wraps...

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1. Not training after a written plan to start with.
  2. Training grippers right after thick bar.
  3. Training thick bar with too heavy weights too often.
  4. Not using chalk.
  5. Neglecting skin care when training grippers.
  6. Not training pinch enough.
  7. Not trying to set a PR when I should have.
  8. Not training to set grippers.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

Drinking to much beer and trying to bend nails without any wraps...

This definetly relates to mine. There is no question the dumbest thing I have done is having some friends over, drinking way too much, talking about the steel I have been bending and then going full bore on a max effort type bend with no warm up. I didn't get the Bend and my wrist was tore up and in pain for a couple weeks.

• Like 1

• Single biggest thing that might have changed my grip career.  Not starting until I was 55 years old.  Not really my fault - the GB wasn't really that well known before then - I like to think I could have done a bit better when younger - I know my whole body strength was much higher then.
  • Taking long periods of time off grip to do my climbing - I don't regret this at all - but it did hamper specific grip event progress
  • Taking periods off climbing to do my grip sport - I probably could have benefited with an intelligent combining of both but climbing requires a very large time commitment
  • I think I might have done better in competitions if I hadn't hated grippers so much - learning to set them might have let me do closer to my choked numbers (which were fairly good)
  • Taking so long to figure out what worked and what didn't for me - trying others training ideas wasted a lot of time - I think mostly due to my age - it's just so difficult for a young man to understand what age changes as regards to the entire workout process.  Figuring out my personal best training method was key for me.  These guys (trainers/coaches) are very smart but simply lack the frame of reference that being 60 brings with it.  This has changed some now as they have learned from having clients that age to work with.
  • Injuries - some were being dumb - some just happened - but they set things back each time.

• Like 3

Test bending bolts and nails in the Home Depot parking lot, no warm-up.

Just so if the difficulty was right, I could go back in and buy more of the same batch.

It worked until the day it didn't.

Lack of patience and discipline cost me years of elbow pain.

• Like 1

1) Trying to max out on the 2 inch v bar a week prior to a comp without really training it and getting the technique down. I was also crazy tired that day and not really focused on technique. 

2) Touching the V bar at all

3) Not properly taking care of my skin during my first gripper run. 

• Like 2

1. Trying to get strong on everything at the same time and doing way too much.

2. Not training my wrists from the very beginning.

3. Not doing more preventive maintenance such as extensor work and ice baths.

• Like 2

1. Jumping into grip training without doing enough research. The result was replicating problems that others have found in their training.

2. Too much volume too soon. See #4.

3. Not warming up at all before grip training.

4. Carrying my shiny new grippers around the office and showing how strong I was during the first week. This interfered with combing my hair and wiping my nether regions for 10 days or so.

JayC

• Like 1

Not training wrist a lot and skipping thumb work

Biggest mistake was training in pain, continually pushing when backing off would only have helped.  When your arms are buried to your shoulders in ice buckets 3x a week for 30mins a day it might be time to hit the stop button. 

Rest ain't a bad thing

• Like 1

Grippers only (elbow problems)

Grippers and extensor bands only (slow/no progress, lingering knuckle pain)

High reps instead of holds or "clicker" reps, knuckle pain again.

Basically focusing on grippers too much is a problem. Branch out.

• Like 1

Frequently training and testing TNS gripper strength. I ended up hurting my middle knuckle tendon and it didn't get better for over a YEAR. 

• Like 1

1) Not creating a specific plan in accordance to any single goal I have.

2) Not learning how to recover properly after training hard.

3) Not resting enough and allow my body to be ready for another session.

4) Not focusing on building up my body properly with basic movements.

• Like 2

Getting too enthusiastic when taking up an new implement or (more recently) bending. This has led to bending when I have no business doing so (supposed to be letting injuries clear up).

Also, getting caught up in the excitement when other people are doing hard efforts and then testing my strength instead of building it (often without a proper warmup).

• Like 2

Take 10 years off from serious bending and then pretend you still have the strength to bend a horseshoe.  The mind remembers while the body is woefully unprepared.   Going in to get an MRI soon to find out what I did to my rotator cuff. 

One of my patients was a ferrier.  I mentioned I never really got to get into horseshoe bending, adding that the biggest barrier was not knowing a ferrier.  He brought in a bag of horseshoes on the next visit.  The excitement got the best of me.  Just dumb.  Let my emotions override logic and reason.  Didn't so much as kink the horseshoe.  Turns out I had no idea how strong the shoe was, and should have both done some research first as well as a thorough warm-up.

The other mistake is trying max-effort work while significantly fatigued.  Again, emotions bypassing smart training. 

edit:  ferrier, not farrier 

• Like 1

Get anxious for the opportunity to eat with Brian Shaw and lift a 45lb Hub plus 15lbs after doing almost no plate hub work in months.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bending a horseshoe over my head.  Wasn’t a hard feat but the insanely loud ringing in my ears as I crushed it down was probably my bodies warning system screaming stop you freakin idiot. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not specializing when trying to reach a grip goal was a mistake. 

If you want to perform a grip feat, specialize to do it.  Unless you are very gifted from a grip stand point, I believe most will need to specialize.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Not specializing when trying to reach a grip goal was a mistake. 

If you want to perform a grip feat, specialize to do it.  Unless you are very gifted from a grip stand point, I believe most will need to specialize.

This.

i made the mistake of trying to do 50 different things when I shouldnt have.

which probably lead to the problem that made me quit. I tried to do contest lifts and feats and evidently I wasn’t tuned like many others who can just do whatever the hell they want.

1.) Not warming up before anything. I have hurt myself numerous times.

2.) Trying to max out every session.

3.) Not remaining on a consistent workout schedule.

• Like 1