Pulling for 2nd Place at Raw Nationals

EricMilfeld

This was my second attempt effort of 617 to secure second place in the 50-59 age group Saturday. We had thirteen guys battling it out in the 105k class. I squatted 529 and benched 319, with a couple of missed efforts for bigger squats and deadlifts, but I’m very happy with my performance. 

https://www.facebook.com/eric.milfeld/posts/1879483892066472

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Once again, killer work man!

Thanks, buddy!

8 hours ago, bencrush said:

Excellent work, Eric!!! 

Appreciate you, Ben!

Way to go Eric!  Kristy and I watched a ton of the live feeds over Fri-Sat-Sun.  At one point, we clicked on the wrong video and for a split second I saw your name.  I was like "I KNOW HIM!"  But then after that we could not find your flight to watch.  But I looked up your scores and saw that you did really well.  I'm glad you posted the video because I couldn't find that either.  Amazing that you took 2nd!  Sounds like the competition was stacked.  Also, side note, I would not have recognized you in a million years!  Bearded and all.  Looking strong!  Congratulations on finishing on the podium!!!

• Like 1

That’s really cool that you happened to hear my name while watching the live-feed! And yes, the competition was tough. I took second by only 2.5 kilos. I remember one guy who was in second after squats and benches who didn’t even make top 5 after deadlifts. I won’t hold it against you for not recognizing me. I’m only 70 pounds heavier than I was at 2013 Grip Nationals...😆 Hey, thanks for checking it out, Matt! Great to hear from you again. 😊

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

As always, badazzery!  That was a smoke show!  You're my inspiration as I head into my 50s next month brother!  :bow

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

As always, badazzery!  That was a smoke show!  You're my inspiration as I head into my 50s next month brother!  :bow

Thanks a bunch, Mike! 

I’ll actually be 50 December 5th (you enter the 50-59 age group in the USAPL in the calendar year you turn 50). 

Here’s to stronger with age!

Eric,

Very impressed by you for being strong in so many ways and contributing to the development of these endeavours (grip, bending, strength).

Keep leading the way.

And, need I mention that to be be considered strong amongst Texans is something special in itself.

Al

• Like 1

@Tommy J. may have just won the interwebs for Sunday, October 22.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  I know I would never have bent the steel I did or deadlifted 600 without Eric's motivation.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Dang man.. i keep thinking about this. Such an inspiration Eric! 

Lemme break this down for anyone that might not be hitting on all cylinders as they look this post over..

Eric has been, and still is a legend in strength sports.

Eric was first to cert the red nail in Imps

Eric made one of the most legendary gripper and bending guys ever by taking him under his wing and showing him the way- PK

Eric has held multiple world records in gripsport, and a few that i honestly dont ever see getting bested.

Eric set and held a Texas state deadlift record in his weight class like a boss in previous years.

Eric during his time of heavy horse shoe bending was so far ahead of everyone else, that he literally got bored doing it.. seriously. Before there were Wiggy, Mike R., and Jason B., there was Eric. Imo, and as de-facto, Eric invented the bending of impossible horse shoes. Because before him, i think the best (heaviest) shoes getting bent were low level stuff like polos, DCs, lite rims, and ultralites.

I remember being in somewhat disbelief seeing Erics determination as he cut all that weight for Nats simply because thats the challenge he chose to take on. For me that kind of thing seemed so impossible, but for his level if fortitude, it was no biggie.

lets not forget were talking about a guy who STILL shows up to PL comps and finishes 2nd only to the #1 guy in the world  in his class.. and he trains old school in his garage with no fancy equipment, no fancy diet, no fancy traning regime, and no need for attention while he does it via constant vids of his training. Nor does he try to get online and be an ego maniac in an attempt to berate or coach anyone not doing things his way. But at the same time will gladly help anyone out who shows a true interest.

i could literally go on with fact here for some time. 

Such a no excuses making, humble, determined, giant in multiple sports!

for anyone new around here that has all these stubborn ideas of "change" to this sport that likes to cite bullshit lines of "spirit of grip" as you bash any of the big 3 grip lifts,  id like to point out that you also are in direct insult of guys like Eric. Eric damn near single handedly INVENTED spirit of grip in this sport. But being as Eric is such a humble guy and doesnt get in here saying these things, you would either have to actually take time and do your homework, or read a rude awaking post from Tommy J. to know these things. 

So keep the change. Consider it a tip. Because as long as guys like Eric are around, this thing stays real.

so, Eric, thank you for being a bad mf'er!

heres a short list of just Texas guys that Eric at some point in time has led us all to some form of very eliteness in some aspect of strength or another.

Paul Knight- grip- world class

Yori Skutt- grip- world class

Michael Hann- (already an elite puller) but grip- world class

Tommy Jennings Jr. Okay in grip, but mostly overhand bending- world class

And this is just the Texas guys that i know of.. not to mention others from other states that he may have nonchalantly led or helped into doing awesome things

and yes, i said led us. In some way or another Eric helped or coached each and every one of us into some form of world classness. 

No homo with this post Eric.. i just sort of found myself disgusted that this thread is sitting off to the side with seemingly no traffic jam. I guess these punks these days really have no interest in true strength. But thats okay.. because regardless of how many of these self alleged "purists" come along and do some decent grip stunts, they will never go in the same category as Eric Milfeld. Not if i have anything to do with it.

I appreciate the heartfelt post, Tommy, and am very humbled by it. Of course the inconvenient truth is you have way more natural ability than I do. Any time you start focusing on a feat you pretty much become untouchable for me: grippers, overhand bending, arm wrestling, overhead pressing (didn’t even have to focus much on that one haha!), etc. And much of what you said can be applied to yourself; I’ve never known you to not enthusiastically help anyone with a question about any type of strength endeavor, for example. You’re a crazy-strong Texas original! Emphasis on crazy (break cleaner-hand toughening guru for bare-handed can tearing type crazy!).

17 hours ago, terminal said:

Eric,

Very impressed by you for being strong in so many ways and contributing to the development of these endeavours (grip, bending, strength).

Keep leading the way.

And, need I mention that to be be considered strong amongst Texans is something special in itself.

Al

Thank you, Al. I do appreciate the kind words. 

17 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

@Tommy J. may have just won the interwebs for Sunday, October 22.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  I know I would never have bent the steel I did or deadlifted 600 without Eric's motivation.  

Mike, I’m thrilled to hear I may have helped you in some way to perform your crazy feats of strength!

2 hours ago, 3Crusher said:

Great work Eric! AARP power!!

Haha! Indeed. Thanks, Steve!

On 18.10.2017 at 12:02 AM, EricMilfeld said:

This was my second attempt effort of 617 to secure second place in the 50-59 age group Saturday. We had thirteen guys battling it out in the 105k class. I squatted 529 and benched 319, with a couple of missed efforts for bigger squats and deadlifts, but I’m very happy with my performance. 

https://www.facebook.com/eric.milfeld/posts/1879483892066472

:rock

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Eric is the man, no question. First guy I ever met on here. Taught me to bend, was nothing but a first rate gentleman!

I am honored to have been witness for his Red Nail Cert

• Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 10:49 AM, dubthewonderscot said:

Eric is the man, no question. First guy I ever met on here. Taught me to bend, was nothing but a first rate gentleman!

I am honored to have been witness for his Red Nail Cert

Well, from one gentleman to another - thank you, Weldon!

And good to hear from you. 😊