Contrast baths?

AbsuM-

What do you guys think the best way to do this for hands and forearms? It’s hard to lean over the bath tub. Today I put bio freeze on my lower arms and hands for an hour then afterwards used the shower head to run hot water over my hands and arms when switched to cold then hot again but by that point I was almost out of hot water. I’m hoping to get opinions on a better way to approach this or am I doing it right? Should hot or cold be first (does order mater)? Is bio freeze not a good idea? I’m going to stick to gripping every other day no matter what for 6 months and see what happens. I just feel like contrast baths will help me be ready every time. Who has a good way of doing it? I wish I could just do my hands but my forearms always burn too so I need to get those in there somewhere...I also have a hot tub but doubt that gets nearly hot enough. Thanks guys hope everyone is doing well on their goals. One day we will all be able to swing and hang from trees and ropes like apes. Yup that’s the goal

I use a large cooking pot with lots of ice cubes. Have been going for 5 minutes submersion, usually three rounds. I use hot water sometimes and other times just the cold.

I think it was Kody Burns who gets into a lot of detail on his use of contrast baths in his Grip Well Q&A.

I use two very large buckets. Then I make ice in the freezer using small buckets. 

I go cold first since it's not possible to do any long times in the hot water in the beginning so it's kind of pointless to start there.

I like to get two small bowls or large cups that you can fit your hand in, one with ice water and one with warm water. 

Submerge, open/close hands 30 times, switch cups, open/close 25 times, switch, 20 times, etc. 

Sometimes I skip the warm water and just open/close in the air while the other hand is in ice water.

Quick, easy, don't need a ton of prep time or space or ice.

I tried using bowls but it was difficult to keep the water cold/hot and it was messy so I just hold my hands under hot and cold water from the sink. It works for me and its easy. I don't use the contrast baths much though. Only if I'm really beat up and need to recover quickly for a comp or certification. 

I use two 6pack sized coolers, set them on the floor and put a towel between them. The towel is crucial because drying the hands during transition minimizes thermal transfer between each container. I move my hands often and spend about a minute in each temperature, usually going for about 20 minutes total. I do this while watching some tv to pass the time. I found it very helpful with recovery especially as a climber trying to add in gripsport training.

• Like 1

I bought two cat litter trays at the local dollar store and use those for soaks when I get back from climbing or after working grip. They are long enough to get elbow down. Like @Climber028 I put a towel in between for a quick dry and to help keep down the mess. I boil water and keep it warming. Then add that to tap water to get warm side to temp. When it starts cooling I add a bit more from the pot. The ice bath usually holds temp better.

I am not too precise on times for cold/hot. I hold in cold until I wimp out and then move to hot. Usually about 15 minutes or so switching back and forth.

It may be mental, but I have found that this helps when training general strength, climbing and grip. Recovery seems to be faster. The tendonitis I have experienced in the past seems to be less frequent/severe as well.