Question about IMTUG

Booze

Hey guys, 

I am pretty new to grippers (just started 5 months ago) so apologies if this is a dumb question. I was looking at the IMTUGs, which apparently are for specific fingers, and found myself wondering what's the difference if I just use one of my existing COC grippers to do the same thing that these are supposed to be for? For instance, I inverted my easiest gripper (trainer) and used only my pinky and ring finger and was able to close it with my dominant hand. Same deal with the index and middle as I was able to close the 1 (not inverted, just put those fingers at the bottom). I feel like I have to be missing something here, what is the need for these? Are they more effective than the methods with the regular grippers that I described?

I have closed a couple of lighter coc #4s and I think the IMTUGs are useless. I sold the couple IMTUGs I had early on in my training. 

Edited by Chez

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

I have closed a couple of lighter coc #4s and I think the IMTUGs are useless. I sold the couple IMTUGs I had early on in my training. 

Thanks for the input Chez. I'm familiar with your work, I've talked to you recently  on YouTube in one of your videos!  Do you see any value in using regular grippers in the manner I described? I could see the inverted gripper for pinky/ring being of some use at least, since it's the weaker of the fingers?

• Like 1

Working the last two fingers is a good idea in my opinion. But be carefull! Only use limited range of motion. The Frankenstein gripper from Silvis is the best option. It is much saver.http://tiptopwebsite.com/websites/index2.php?username=silvis&page= The IMTUG's are a waste of time and money.

I never got anywhere with "separate" finger isolation focus.   This includes all aspects of finger isolation.  

If you want to get really good at grippers, specialize on the grippers and that means closing grippers.  Technique is huge as well for proper leverage based on your own particular hands. 

Also, using the Tugs for thumb work as discribed on their packaging is not very helpful as the final "closed" position is not far at all, so there is a lot of waisted range of motion (meaning a range of motion you can not train with the imTugs.

1 hour ago, richcottrell said:

Also, using the Tugs for thumb work as discribed on their packaging is not very helpful as the final "closed" position is not far at all, so there is a lot of waisted range of motion (meaning a range of motion you can not train with the imTugs.

It could be beneficial for stuff like the penny and stub lifts.

Although you can get pinch adapters instead, which you can use with any gripper. Gives you a much better range to work with.

10 hours ago, Booze said:

Thanks for the input Chez. I'm familiar with your work, I've talked to you recently  on YouTube in one of your videos!  Do you see any value in using regular grippers in the manner I described? I could see the inverted gripper for pinky/ring being of some use at least, since it's the weaker of the fingers?

oh ya. Good to see you on here. I believe there could be some value. I have only messed around with inverted closes a little though so I can't speak from experience. I had a couple videos on my old youtube of inverted pinky closes of which one was a COC trainer. You can definitely try adding them to your routine and since if it helps. I wouldn't waste the money on the IMTUGs since you are right that you can use lighter regular grippers for it. 

Those grippers never did anything for me. Personally had better strength gains when I used a loadable dumbbell for two finger movements. Please be careful as it can screw things up if you're not careful.

The pinching movement sucks as well. Get a pony clam as that does more than the IMTUG could ever hope to achieve.

I like them for thumb stuff but you really only need a 2 and 3 for that. 1 is so easy it's not worth getting, and 4 gets pretty hard. Either pinch it with index/middle and thumb, or just close it against your palm using your thumb.