Round vs Hex Stock. Which Is More Harder?

Danny Young

So recently Andrew from FBBC sent me a duke of all bastard along with some hexabastards. For which I was only able to move to 5 degrees in single imps but when I attempted a duke I easily destroyed it imps only. I know for sure I can bend a hexabastard but for some weird reason I am greatly struggling with it. Any thoughts on why?

Non-round stock is generally harder than round on the kink, for me anyway.  Maybe your kink is weaker than your sweep and/or crush.  

Easily destroyed a duke in IMPs?! You beast! - Yea I do almost all my training in IMPs and have had similar experience that I was able to further kink a DOAB than a hexabastard - the hexabastards feel alot more painful on my fingers during the kink - I may also just be geometrically challenged haha - I'm terrible in doubles but when I tried a hexabastard in two pairs of IMPs the pain was significantly less and I was able to get more movement - do you feel yourself getting stopped by the pain too or just an inability to bear down on it for the kink?

7 hours ago, KRC said:

Non-round stock is generally harder than round on the kink, for me anyway.  Maybe your kink is weaker than your sweep and/or crush.  

I've bent a 6" FBBC square in 10" by 4" single suede and in single imps I've done them at 5". So I know I don't have any weakness in my kink. I've even bent a 5.5 by 1/4" 1018 cold rolled steel square from METALSDEPOT.com without any problem. Last night I took a another hit at it moved it 6.18mms just above 5 degrees. So I finally cheat kinked them to 30 degrees and got it no problem although now I just got to finish crushing it as of right now.

4 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Easily destroyed a duke in IMPs?! You beast! - Yea I do almost all my training in IMPs and have had similar experience that I was able to further kink a DOAB than a hexabastard - the hexabastards feel alot more painful on my fingers during the kink - I may also just be geometrically challenged haha - I'm terrible in doubles but when I tried a hexabastard in two pairs of IMPs the pain was significantly less and I was able to get more movement - do you feel yourself getting stopped by the pain too or just an inability to bear down on it for the kink?

I already placed an order for 10 dukes of all bastards just waiting on Andrew to send me an invoice although I do have 2 dukes left to finish up. Maybe for the hexabastard I have very well rested. I will just continue cheat kinking them along with cutting the dukes down in time. As you can see in the photo below I bent it off center too.

received_1657096097699039.jpeg

received_1657095967699052.jpeg

Edited by Danny Young

38 minutes ago, Danny Young said:

I've bent a 6" FBBC square in 10" by 4" single suede and in single imps I've done them at 5". So I know I don't have any weakness in my kink. I've even bent a 5.5 by 1/4" 1018 cold rolled steel square from METALSDEPOT.com without any problem. Last night I took a another hit at it moved it 6.18mms just above 5 degrees. So I finally cheat kinked them to 30 degrees and got it no problem although now I just got to finish crushing it as of right now.

I don't think being able to bend cut 1/4" squares means you don't have a problem with your kink but whatever works.  

I can melt hexabastards any day of the week but can't crush dukes, hence my comment about kink.  Key point: YMMV

54 minutes ago, KRC said:

I don't think being able to bend cut 1/4" squares means you don't have a problem with your kink but whatever works.  

I can melt hexabastards any day of the week but can't crush dukes, hence my comment about kink.  Key point: YMMV

If I had a problem with my kink I doubt I'd be able to bend square stock since its geometrically more difficulty (correct me if I am incorrect) than hex stock. Anyways my very first hit on a hexabastard I got 5 degrees on it then last night I moved it past that to where I was able to place 3 US quarters & 1 US penny underneath it and notice I could possibly fit another US penny underneath. Although I've notice these 5/16 hex have very strong characteristics even stronger than square now when I thinking about it. However I recently fully bent a golden hexabastard and notice they're characteristics is sufficiently more difficult than the golden bastard.

Edited by Danny Young

15 hours ago, KRC said:

Why did you flag my video as inappropriate of myself bending a 7" by 1/4" CRS square?!!!! I know it's a viewer from the grip board because I was just on that video earlier this morning. I don't appreciate you or anyone else flagging any content on my channel. I've poured my heart and soul into especially the fact it could result in my account getting permanently deleted. 

Danny, I'm going to say this and you or others can take from it what you like..... You come across as an arrogant, ignorant person with little regard for the expertise or feedback of people far stronger or experienced than yourself. 

I may be wrong but I doubt it. Your previous posts and the responses (or lack of) others back this up. Talk less and listen more. And by the way I can bend tougher stock than you and still consider myself a newbie. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Briso said:

Danny, I'm going to say this and you or others can take from it what you like..... You come across as an arrogant, ignorant person with little regard for the expertise or feedback of people far stronger or experienced than yourself. 

I may be wrong but I doubt it. Your previous posts and the responses (or lack of) others back this up. Talk less and listen more. And by the way I can bend tougher stock than you and still consider myself a newbie. 

For someone who claims to bend tougher stock while most of your bends are doubles I'd say it's safe to say you're coming as arrogant and ignorant not me. What you've bent in doubles I've bent in either single ironmind pads or 10" by 4" suede. For someone whose made a lot of progress in such a short time of bending I've earned the right to talk more and listen less. For someone to flag someone else's video just solely base off someone not taking their advice is damn immature childish and very very disrespectful.

6 hours ago, Danny Young said:

Why did you flag my video as inappropriate of myself bending a 7" by 1/4" CRS square?!!!! I know it's a viewer from the grip board because I was just on that video earlier this morning. I don't appreciate you or anyone else flagging any content on my channel. I've poured my heart and soul into especially the fact it could result in my account getting permanently deleted. 

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.  

At the same diameter square is harder than hex, and hex is harder than round.  A Hexabastard is a much, much easier bend than a Duke even though a Duke is round. The diameter is quite a bit bigger on the Duke hence the increased difficulty.  The only reason I could think of you are having trouble is perhaps pain tolerance on the hex, but if you easily killed a Duke in IMP's then pain tolerance doesn't sound like an issue.  (a very impressive feat)

I agree with Kevin, even now that I don't bend I can melt hexabastards...did one for fun not long ago, but my strength has slid enough that a Duke is very difficult for me and likely will result in a failed attempt.

I can't really think of any other reasons, unless maybe the Hex is a freaky strong batch of steel and the Duke is not.  Or maybe you were just really, really tired from a tough workout or something.

Either way I'm sure you will figure it out, good luck.

Danny honestly that is the 1st time I've ever heard of a hexabastard being harder than a Duke. The progression should go round then Hex than square. 

Based only on geometry, same nominal size, hex should be 15% harder than round, square should be 50% harder than round. Of course steel varies, so it's never going to stack up exactly like that.

Good luck with whatever else is going on in this thread.

20171017_094639.jpg

10 hours ago, Frank Pizzo said:

At the same diameter square is harder than hex, and hex is harder than round.  A Hexabastard is a much, much easier bend than a Duke even though a Duke is round. The diameter is quite a bit bigger on the Duke hence the increased difficulty.  The only reason I could think of you are having trouble is perhaps pain tolerance on the hex, but if you easily killed a Duke in IMP's then pain tolerance doesn't sound like an issue.  (a very impressive feat)

I agree with Kevin, even now that I don't bend I can melt hexabastards...did one for fun not long ago, but my strength has slid enough that a Duke is very difficult for me and likely will result in a failed attempt.

I can't really think of any other reasons, unless maybe the Hex is a freaky strong batch of steel and the Duke is not.  Or maybe you were just really, really tired from a tough workout or something.

Either way I'm sure you will figure it out, good luck.

Well I did move a hexabastard to 5 degrees on my first hit then I took 2 days off and moved it past that. I'm just going to focusing on the duke for now along with cheat kinking the 5/16 hex.

8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Danny honestly that is the 1st time I've ever heard of a hexabastard being harder than a Duke. The progression should go round then Hex than square. 

I'm just as confused as you Andrew. I know I can bend a hexabastard just have to take some time off which is something I really don't do.

Edited by Danny Young