My meeting with Jedd Johnson

Alawadhi

So finally I met with Jedd. East meets West. And man it was sooo fun and we learned a lot from each other grip wise and none grip wise. From the 6th (7th our time) to 13th of September. I like it and agree with Jedd's saying "Ooooh YEEEAAAAH" and "Misses are just Warm Ups". So I picked him up at the airport and then dropped him in the hotel to put his stuff then we went to eat and have a grip discussion (Jedd has amazing strong/firm handshake, nice first impression). Wonderful first night. Next day/night was was a grip training night. We did hit the grip gym. And dude this guy, Jedd, easily lifted my inch to deadlift and then did it with the left hand after warming up a bit. He then went ahead and tried the 98KG Inch from Heavygriptools. Boy my Inch isn't easy at all and Jedd lifted it and the bigger Inch, the 98KG, no one lifted it yet. Jedd came and attempted it and man one side came up!!! That is so freakin awesome! I am sure if he just kept doing it then he would gotten air under both sides. I would place Jedd top 15 to 20 worldwide in Inch handling. That was so amazing. My friend Razaq and Abdulrahman also liked it a lot. A second thick bar daddy? 

It is good to mention Jedd warm ups are so fast that I feel if I did it it will never warm me up enough. I then warmed up and then benched a bit to be able to do some grip with Jedd (that's my way to get the blood flowing to have better results and avoid injuries). We then did the blobs. Jedd wated the 30KG so bad and his best attempt was 2 to 3 inches off ground which is HUGE while knowing Jedd lifted the Fatman normally, using last three fingers, and first three fingers. We then did 10's pinch. Before doing I told Jedd those 10's became sooo hard that we can barely do 4 tens with it now (we as in me and Abdulrazaq, Abdulrahman doesn't train). Then we attempted it and we all three failed lol. Then Jedd started chalking it well with Razaq and in the end with some wrist strength thrown in the pinch we all could lift it. It was so hard that I think more than the blob50 from the easy side. But still I feel we were in warmping up process. And misses are just warm ups. Right Jedd ;) ? Then amazingly lifted 5 tens after few misses but with the blob on the other hand too. That was amazing. Once up those SOB's just broke and fell eveyrwhere. Those 5 tens were much harder than the Fatman blob I got from Paul Knight. It was like a stepping stone to the big 30KG blob from heavygriptools. I did lift it few times in the past the five tens but by time they get harder and harder dunno why the heck?! the paint is just horrible. Generally things in my gym are harder due to the paint. Maybe our weather doesn't help much? After that we did the fbbc hub I believe. Jedd was surprised also slick (becoming harder by time too). 17KG wasn't easy but he did lift it. Me and Razaq could do it as we are more used to it too and our hands are smaller it will fit more in that small hub (Jedd got an inch bigger hands than mine and way bigger thumb and a little wider palms so this affects the hub). I think my IM hub is also same lol. Very slick. Jedd then taught me how to lift my old york 45's hub which I did. He said it was the easy way though. This was/is the first time doing it. Don't remember if Jedd did this but fresh surely he'll do it too. And my friend Razaq couldn't. Then we did few dyno's. the 300LB baseline dyno (because the 200LB wouldn't be enough for us, even with our weaker hands. oooh yeeeaaah) and the rare (only around 7 to 9 made ever) 150KG Robert Baraban hand dyno. My friend abdulrahman who doesn't train and for his age (above 40) and a banker he did an average 50kg/49kg. Razaq did best 87Kg. Me and Jedd were the same. I got all 4 attempts between 99 to 101KG. Jedd all 4 attempts between 92KG then maxing at 105 and then 99 and 100KG. For those interested we did do it on the second setting for the baseline dyno. We did first setting and just like I assumed Jedd didn't like it. Dunno why and how many people prefer the first setting. It hurts my wrist even before having my last year wrist injury. Then we did on Baraban first Dyno and Abdulrahman was again at around 50Kg (this dyno is spring so dynamic; unlike the baseline dyno it's static,moves like half mm or so) and Razaq around 75kg and me/Jedd both around 93KG for few attempts. I am sure me and Jedd would've gotten over 100KG if fresh or little better than end of workout. Then we did few of those big spring crushers and oh boy we arm-wrestled later. I never lost a match before but hey I have one training partner :D and sometimes I do with my Leader Sports staff but that's it. Jedd is different and he is not even an AWer. We didn't do real matches but fun matches/drills. Me and Jedd both beat Razaq. then it was me and Jedd. Lefty I got it but righty we were same. But to my surprise Jedd wrist was better (yeah I know but still was surprised because it was my first time haha) it broke my hook and I couldn't top roll him. Jedd says I have a hard hands upper and bottom part. Razaq used to say it too but getting a confirmation from Jedd that nice knowing. And yes for the whinners I know he has much bigger hands but that strength wasn't size, it was pure power!!! Oh yeeaaah Jedd!

Finished the day with dinner outside and cruising around Dubai. Then next day took Jedd to my Majles in my home. We had Gahwa (Arabic Coffee) and Tea. We then with my friends went sightseeing and IMG. For next few days we were enjoying Dubai. @Jedd Johnson there wasn't enough time to even look for half of Dubai. Next time I will take you to different places! And yes the other "farm" too and this time time was tight. In Dubai Mall he showed me thumb wrestling which ended in a draw and I showed him handshake wrestling which also ended in a draw in Dubai Mall. Luckily it was night so few people watched lol. Next day we met with a body builder called Abdulhameed. Jedd was listening to a nice and fun conversation between Abdulhameed and Razaq. Few more days have passed and then before the day he left we gripped again.

So we gymed again (man this is long post I'll write the briefs). Jedd did an amazing bench press with two 70KG dumbbells! My almost 3 years old son Mohammad joined us :cool (Jedd when he see's your picture he says gym man haha), Jedd did the Inches again and the fat blob attempts. Same but more air under. Razaq did easy 60d nails barehanded. I did blob50 clean and fatman lift. Jedd too did a fatman lift but with three fingers instead of four. Then we did plate pinch Jedd says it is slick and sharp. Jedd couldn't do the 35's as it was slick and tearing his webs. I did left and right and Razaq did right and left it also tore his webs. I always thought they are suppose like this. Jedd said my 45's are the same as the 35's but much bigger and sharper. Damn! We did thumb wrestling again and a tie. Jedd with Razaq Jedd won. Jedd said my two old york 45's fit well so yeah something to train for. Did some potato crushes. They were from the fridge man that is much harder than the normal ones outside. My attempt I pushed my thumb once and the second one it digged right into it and the other half flew across the room lol I didn't expect it. Razaq then did and I finished his as he couldn't. Jedd then did and I finished his also as it was his first time doing and was cold. I do potato crush maybe once every two year (last time with Juha) but my crush and my previous Iron Hands training helped/helps. Jedd then did rows 10 reps each hand with 70KG dumbbells! That was so strong. I did only two righty then felt pain on my wrist were was the injury so stopped. Jedd did around 83KG the Russian blue rolling handles to lockout and with FBBC a little less. Those are pretty hard. Also the FBBC handle has some small weight to it. Razaq was having a bad wrist day so he didn't attempt. I did up to 50 or 55 KG left but no right to avoid my previous wrist pain. I think I was good for 65KG lefty. Right if fresh and no pain maybe then 70KG on that handle. Oh yeah on the second day of gym we also closed grippers. We did TNS on my very hard very wide CoC #2. Jedd did 3 mms reps on my easy #3 (which he said isn't easy) and I did two wider reps (and of course this was end of the workout we were finished by that time). Did  few closes on my little harder than average #3 and Jedd missed it only by a hair. And we both got a GE to quarter of an inch. Jedd attempt was better a bit than mine. Hmmm then on the way out we also did handshake wrestling. This time we tied left hand and I won right hand. With Razaq I beat him left and right and he and Jedd was a tie. Then it was over with grip. 

We then left, ate, enjoyed the night, Jedd taught me that root beers are not even beers and non alcoholic. I liked them. Then we enjoyed rest of the night and he went back to hotel so next day early morning he left back to the US.

All in all I loved meeting with Jedd. My friends loved it too. Jedd loved it too. Our schedual was so busy from morning. I wake up around 6.45 and go to my office. Lots of work. Jedd visited me twice or thrice there. Razaq also has  few shops to take care of. Abdulrahman works in a bank so also from morning till around 4PM he was in work. Razaq qas with Jedd from 1.30 to 2. Then we used to hang around till waaay late 2.30AM to twice even 4AM lol. But hey we enjoyed the talks, the food, the training, the grip talks, the cruising, meeting new people and old friends, and so on. I might be missing something so sorry for that guys. What's funny though I think Jedd added anywhere between 6 to 10 pounds. Man this was a long post! Hope to see you again soon Jedd and keep on training buddy!!!

Edited by Alawadhi
Added info
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kashtan said:

Awesome grip rendez-vous!

Yeah it was awesome. I edited the writing above adding some gym parts I forgot to mention.

Edited by Alawadhi

Sounds very cool. Especially the potatoe crushes. Haven't seen or heard someone doing them for a long time. Thats quite a feat to do, especially when they are cold. Is anyone on the gripboard who can pop them like Tommy Heslep could?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hellraiser92x said:

Sounds very cool. Especially the potatoe crushes. Haven't seen or heard someone doing them for a long time. Thats quite a feat to do, especially when they are cold. Is anyone on the gripboard who can pop them like Tommy Heslep could?

I don't know. Tommy uses his fingers usually. I use my thumb usually. My first one it just popped few feet in front of me by thumb digging. Jedd told me where it was as I lost it. On the other hand, I saw a video of Tim Butler crushing bigger sized one. Dunno if it was in a fridge or not but I can assume not. He did it like Tommy but bigger ones.

2 hours ago, Hellraiser92x said:

Christian Loewe crushes of potatoe. #5 rating of GHP.

2 hours ago, king crusher said:

Nice write up. You guys had a great time it looks like. But I was expecting pictures!!!

Oh yeah there are TONS of pictures on Jedd's FB. I can upload some here but Jedd practically have everything

23 hours ago, Kashtan said:

Christian Loewe crushes of potatoe. #5 rating of GHP.

I didn't understand. He crushes potato? The Mr. Baseline man? And what about the GHP?

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I didn't understand. He crushes potato? The Mr. Baseline man? And what about the GHP?

Pretty sure he meant he's ranked #5 in the GHP challenge

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Yes - he crushes potato, just from market bag. 

Yes - Mr. Baseline.

Yes - #5 in rating of GHP challenge - 3  reps closes of GHP8.

Edited by Kashtan
  • Like 1

@Alawadhi, I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing me to Dubai for such an amazing experience.  From the plane ride over, to the training, eating, riding around, relaxing at the Majles, the meals, the IMG amusement park, the animals, all your friends, the amazing food, hanging out, enjoying scenery and skylines, the club, the mall, thumb wrestling, get a corunda, watching fish in the aquarium, ALL of it was just plain INCREDIBLE.

I've never taken so many pictures of a trip.  With all of the spectacles on this one though, I had to try and capture as much of it as I could.

Bader, You, Abdulrazaq and Abdulrahman are my brothers now.  You're all great dudes, and I look forward to seeing you all again.

Also thank you for introducing me to your other good friends, they were all a joy to hang out with, and always joking and smiling.  What a pleasure to be around all of them.

Gripboard Members:  Bader and I share many of the same hopes and dreams for Grip Sport, and we've now laid the initial frame work for some very big steps.  More on that, when it is necessary.  I assure you, it's some very exciting stuff.

Thank you once again, Bader, Razaq and Abdulrahman for all of the hospitality.

• Like 4

If anyone is interested in looking at site-seeing pictures and videos from the trip, feel free to go to my Facebook.

As far as training, I'll post them here, as I get them uploaded.  I am SO far behind...

• Like 2

On 9/22/2017 at 8:15 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

@Alawadhi, I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing me to Dubai for such an amazing experience.  From the plane ride over, to the training, eating, riding around, relaxing at the Majles, the meals, the IMG amusement park, the animals, all your friends, the amazing food, hanging out, enjoying scenery and skylines, the club, the mall, thumb wrestling, get a corunda, watching fish in the aquarium, ALL of it was just plain INCREDIBLE.

I've never taken so many pictures of a trip.  With all of the spectacles on this one though, I had to try and capture as much of it as I could.

Bader, You, Abdulrazaq and Abdulrahman are my brothers now.  You're all great dudes, and I look forward to seeing you all again.

Also thank you for introducing me to your other good friends, they were all a joy to hang out with, and always joking and smiling.  What a pleasure to be around all of them.

Gripboard Members:  Bader and I share many of the same hopes and dreams for Grip Sport, and we've now laid the initial frame work for some very big steps.  More on that, when it is necessary.  I assure you, it's some very exciting stuff.

Thank you once again, Bader, Razaq and Abdulrahman for all of the hospitality.

You are welcome brotherrrrrrr! And yes we laid some initials. It will be big. We are working on it. When the time is right, people will know, everyone will know. It will be EPIC!

And for the videos Jedd posted, he did better attempts on the near 100KG inch. And man that five TENS are super slippery!!! It is in between the Fatman and my 30Kg blob. Way too hard. But Jedd managed to easily lift it. In the video with the blob thats a fatman blob by Paul Knight. I got from Paul two fatmans brother and sister. One 100 side and one york side.

Can't wait for our next meeting. Hopefully sooner than later.

5 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

You are welcome brotherrrrrrr! And yes we laid some initials. It will be big. We are working on it. When the time is right, people will know, everyone will know. It will be EPIC!

And for the videos Jedd posted, he did better attempts on the near 100KG inch. And man that five TENS are super slippery!!! It is in between the Fatman and my 30Kg blob. Way too hard. But Jedd managed to easily lift it. In the video with the blob thats a fatman blob by Paul Knight. I got from Paul two fatmans brother and sister. One 100 side and one york side.

Can't wait for our next meeting. Hopefully sooner than later.

No doubt about that, brotherrrrr!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
35 minutes ago, Speezy101 said:

Great story on the trip!! ,   thanks for sharing it

There is another story I shared again in Feb this year. Me, Jedd, and Laine Snook. Read it its fun