My journey to the #4

Hellraiser92x

Hi this in the link to my left hand #3 closes from yesterday 

https://youtu.be/M3my5jcjVtQ

@Royz

Thank you man. I hope that too, but even when not, there is no thing that is more important than health. And griptraining can be done with full force even when being lighter or feeling sick. Thats the cool thing with griptraining.

I am from germany.

Depending on where you live in holland, it's pretty near to where i live.

Who knows maybe one day we do a grip session together :D i would love to visit holland.

Edited by Hellraiser92x

Couldn't resist and trained again today:rolleyes. Gave my grippers to a friend now so i really have an off time of at least a week. I am now training almost every 2-3 days which is too much.

But here it is :

Right hand :

Old Hg350 x almost 5 (5th was very very close)

Choked extremely hard Hg350(it's definately in the #4 territory) x 2 singles

#3.5 x 1

I am very happy and suprised that i got the choked new Hg350. Never thought i could move it as it is extremely hard. Tried it a couple of weeks ago and couldn't even move it in a choker. At that time i could already close a #3.5. The thing with the choked gripper is, that if i can close a gripper safely and convincing in a choker, it isn't far off without a choker, as i don't have any issues with setting hard grippers. I am not one of those guys who can close considerably harder grippers in a choker then without.

Left hand :

I went heavy today and attempted bigger grippers, knowing i won't close them

Old hg350 got pretty close ~5mm and hold it as long as i could.

#3.5 to a little bit under parallel.

Very happy with that. Not long ago i couldn't even dream about setting such a hard gripper with the left hand.

Training 28.09.17 right hand

Coc 3 x 19

Old Hg350 choked x 6

#3.5 x 1 for 3 sets 

Tr2aining 29.09.17 right&left

Old Hg350 choked x 11 big PR

New hard Hg350 choked for 2 singles, widened it up by 2mm afterwards aand tried it for a 3rd single. It was so damn close..maybe a hair would fit inbetween the handles, but it could be closed for a brief moment after reviewing the video-> goal for next week 3 singles at that width. Will continue to widen it until i can close it with at least parallel choker and then try without. After that i will do the same thing with the RB330 or #4. All 3 grippers are pretty comparable in strength and at this time i can't say which is the hardest.

Then at the end of the training i messed around with wide set closes with the #3. It was pretty easy so i did 3 sets. Video of the 3rd close is on my youtube. I still think ccs will never be something i am good at because my hand just wouldn't allow it. The set in the video is the widest i can close. A millimeter more and i have no chance to close it fully.

Left hand a couple sets of wider than parallel singles.

The next couple of weeks i will train only with choked grippers because the setting of the hard grippers hurt my setting hand index finger.

Edited by Hellraiser92x

You do you just need to change your technique. Sam (think coc3 on here) was the same as you, could do deep set reps for days on #3 but couldn't ccs it. I spent about 10 minutes on his technique and he could do it / he certified soon after.

What you have to do is sort of do it in two half's and only put the last finger on when its in position for what's essentially an MMS close. I'll put a video up explaining it next week, think this is a problem for a lot of people.

• Like 3

I tried it that way paul. I have seen morgan choi do it that way. Now way at the moment. But i am very curious to watch your video. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/bEqVLCvHRX8

This is the video. The setting is pretty wide in my opinion. Is my technique such a shit? 

Edited by Hellraiser92x

I don't think I've seen Morgan using the same technique I mean but would have to check his videos again. Your technique doesn't look bad, main thing you need to do different is not start with 3 fingers on. The problem is if the fingers are shorter it's impossible to get all the fingers on the right position to have power so you have to start with one or two fingers on and kind of walk them with the pinky getting on at par and then you crush it. This way when you do get there (will take a bit of practice and strengthening the top fingers for optimal results) you end up in an MMS position so of course the close is then straight forward. You can easily ccs it judging from that video by the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

I don't think I've seen Morgan using the same technique I mean but would have to check his videos again. Your technique doesn't look bad, main thing you need to do different is not start with 3 fingers on. The problem is if the fingers are shorter it's impossible to get all the fingers on the right position to have power so you have to start with one or two fingers on and kind of walk them with the pinky getting on at par and then you crush it. This way when you do get there (will take a bit of practice and strengthening the top fingers for optimal results) you end up in an MMS position so of course the close is then straight forward. You can easily ccs it judging from that video by the way.

But...isn't so that with CCS the dogleg is further behind then with MMS? What you tell is very interesting. I always have my 3 fingers stretched to the limit for CCS. Love to see your explanation for this! 

Edited by Geralt

5 hours ago, Hellraiser92x said:

Alright thank you Paul. Will definately practice that after my heavy training.

Do it with a light gripper slowly please, don't want you hurting yourself when I haven't shown a video of what I mean yet. Your already crazy strong quick, very easy to pick up injuries when getting strong quick but wrong position and you can do some damage with heavy grippers.

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

But...isn't so that with CCS the dogleg is further behind then with MMS? What you tell is very interesting. I always have my 3 fingers stretched to the limit for CCS. Love to see your explanation for this! 

It depends on hand size as to where it is exactly but the idea with this is to go as close to MMS position as possible. I will do a video next Wednesday. 

Thank you for your concerns. You are so right, i have to keep an eye on my hand health. Today i already felt pain in my left hand from setting those hard grippers like #3.5 in the right hand. Thats alarming enough for me to change something at once. Next week i'll only do choked work with the right hand. When everythings fine again, i'll work on technique with the #1 after watching your video. But a reminder like that from you, to keep safe is really good from time to time. I am getting stronger and stronger everytime and that in a very short period of time. I'll gladly take one or two steps back if necessary.

Hi Paul thank you very much:rock

My training from today:

New HG350 choked for 3 singles, then widened it and hit a 4th single. After that i decided to get it out of the choker to give it a try (knowing that i won't close it because those singles killed my strength pretty good). I was extremely suprised how close it was. I have two pictures from 17th of september where i attempted it without a choker and i have a pic of today. It's safe to say i have gotten a lot stronger. On 17th of september i was already a #3.5 closer for 2 weeks. So this HG350 is a real monster. Next week i will go for it again and see if i can close it while fresh and i will put my #4 in the choker to work on it. But i really can't tell if the #4 is actually harder or not, if so it will be good as i can work my way up with #4 and widen it in the choker continually till i get it to about parallel. I have no rgc to measure them 2, unfortunately. 

After the Hg350 chokerless attempt my strength was completely down. Couldn't even hit a wideset #3 single so i did #2 for 21 mms reps.

My left hand kinda pisses me off, because i have plenty of strength in it but even the slightest mistake at setting and i can't close a gripper. But i will keep working. The best i got today was a measly #3 for 5 reps with the left. 

Screenshot_2017-10-06-22-05-32.png

Screenshot_2017-10-07-12-02-55.png

Screenshot_2017-10-07-14-12-47.png

Screenshot_2017-10-07-14-15-15.png

Edited by Hellraiser92x

Training today :

I won't train my left hand again. I just can't get it right with the setting so fck it.

Right hand :

Very frustrated. I tried my hard HG350 today as my 1st serious attempt. It felt very good when setting and i could squeeze that thing very close, but my pinky finger slid off the handle and i couldn't give it all i had. After that i tried it again after a break and all the power was gone. Then trained with my coc #4 choked. It felt exact the same as the hard hg350 i am currently training with. I still managed 3 extremely close singles with it. Next week i will definately close the #4 for at least 4 singles as i won't attempt the hard hg350 or #4 without a choker in the next 4 weeks. I will widen the clamp week after week and i am confident i can close the hg350 and #4 without a choker by that time. At the end of the training i did coc #3 x 16 reps.

This was my last attempt with the #4.

https://youtu.be/QZnhreZkink

This was the Hg350 attempt where my pink was sliding off.

https://youtu.be/77j4-oteX2k

I am frustrated but it's still ok. Next week will be much better.

Edited by Hellraiser92x

Don't quit with the left hand. It takes lots of practice and it is frustrating but eventually it will feel more natural. Also, I feel like the body doesn't like to be too far out of balance so improving the left might help your right. At least that is what I have experienced.  

The problem isn't the strength. On dynamometer my strength is similar in both hands(as far as i can measure because my dyno only goes to 90.6kg). I can rep a #3 with the left without really training it. IF i can set it right. Today i only ccould get singles as it felt so weird. Maybe i have to ppractice more than once a week with the left- i don't know. With the right hand, more than once a week is not possible anymore. That was only possible when training with grippers between #3 and #3.5 level. With those hard grippers i really need a whole week of rest.

I know its not a strength issue. Its a coordination issue. It feels awkward for everyone. Several people have asked me what I do to get better its really just persistence until it feels more natural. You don't have to practice several times a week. Just keep at it and it will come. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was not a good day.

Even failed my #3.5....

I don't know if it is the weightloss or just a bad day. But i have the feeling that training grippers once a week doesn't do any good for me. So i will start training 3 times a week again.

Alright my crushgrip strength is declining week after week.

I have a cold right now so i am probably a bit worse than normally, but i still getting weaker. I think it's my calorie deficit and weightloss. But i am not getting weaker at the normal weightlifting movements. I am getting stronger on them.

I would appreciate any advice or input on how i can deal with that. I am thinking i maybe have to accept my crushgrip declining until a point where i stop the diet and have to work from there on?

Thank you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little sloppy with my log. But last saturday i hit a choked #3.5 for 3-4 reps for 2 sets. After that my callouses were hurting so bad that i couldn't do heavy grippers that day, so i backed down and did high reps with #2.

I found out that on some days i just can't train very well with grippers, i am weak or feel a little battered. But i thought i might as well go and try my adjustable spring gripper with knurled handles (like a super gripper). And what can i say it was absolutely amazing! I could train quite heavy and hard with it. It was good to set(unless you set the springs at 12,6 or something, then it gets a pain in the a$$ to set) and i could really squeeze those reps. I personally think this is a really good way to train the sweep. I do a little wider set with this gripper and really squeeze through the sweep. It's weird but a normal torsion spring gripper that day didn't feel good, but this super gripper felt good that day and i could train. But i guess they are two different movements thats why.

So now i will train once a week with my heavy torsion spring grippers and once a week with the super gripper with high volume, little bit wider set and more reps.

I think this will definately help me with my quest to close the #4. I want to close that thing with a choker before this year ends. I got very very close already, but sometimes one has to do a step backwards to get better and stay safe.