Cube for Grippers - The Road to CoC 3.5 Certification

MurrayStrongman

Wrote up a program based around the idea of the cube. I will be following the program starting Monday Sept 18 2017 and I will try to keep the log updated although, it seems like something I may forget to do frequently.  Any and all feedback on the program is much appreciated as I have never done any programming for grippers before and up until this point have followed KTA which is much lower volume and higher frequency for this. The end goal of this program is to cert on the CoC 3.5, Mondays I will check progress towards this goal during my warm up with a MMS or, as I progress a CCS attempt on the 3.5. I will try to remember to take a video which will be posted on IG and linked here (again assuming I remember)

Definitions:

#2F=Filed #2

Gripper x sets x reps

Monday - Heavy Day:

W/up - CCS singles 1-3.5

#4 Negative Crush

#2.5 Overcrush

#3.5 Negative Crush

#2F: 10lbs Strap hold

#4 Negative Crush

#2F Overcrush

#3.5 Negative Crush

#2.5 10lbs strap hold 

#4 Negative crush 

#2.5 Overcrush 

#3.5 Negative crush

#2F Strap hold

#4 Negative Crush

#2F Overcrush 

Wednesday- Speed day

All reps done with maximum speed and power

W/up - Green egg

#1x5x2

#1.5x5x3

#2x5x4

#2Fx5x3

Friday - Reps day:

W/up: green egg

#1x10

#1.5x10

#2x10x2

#2Fx10x2

#2.5x10x until failure to reach 10 reps

#2x10x until 100 total reps are reached for the day

• Like 1

Interesting - rubs his chin - I'm following sir. 

How much rest between sets do you take and how do you build other training around this? Do you train arms for instance?  

Edited by Geralt

5 hours ago, Geralt said:

Interesting - rubs his chin - I'm following sir. 

How much rest between sets do you take and how do you build other training around this? Do you train arms for instance?  

Rest depends on the day, I typically don't time rest intervals but just go when I feel ready. In the original cube you only rest :45 between sets so I may try to do this depending on how my hand and wrist feel during the workout. 

Typically I do my gym training first thing in the morning then grippers at night after work. Right now my training is geared towards a return to strongman next spring so I do work arms but it is only 1 arm exercise per day with primary focus being on compound movements especially overhead press, deadlift and squat. 

Holy....that's pretty intense, training so much and also doing the grippers. Well, curious how your program goes. meanwhile I have added some of your strapholds to my regimen. I was familiar with them but you sparked my interest again, specially in combi with the CCS close. Nice that you share you workouts man. 

100 reps for the day with the #2....oh lord lol

Edited by Geralt

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

Holy....that's pretty intense, training so much and also doing the grippers. Well, curious how your program goes. meanwhile I have added some of your strapholds to my regimen. I was familiar with them but you sparked my interest again, specially in combi with the CCS close. Nice that you share you workouts man. 

100 reps for the day with the #2....oh lord lol

Total reps for the day, is what I meant by that. So I'll have accumulated 60reps by the time I get to the 2.5, I'll then hit as many sets of 10 as I can on the 2.5, as an example let's say I do 2 sets bringing my daily total up to 80. I would do 2 sets of 10 on the #2, I'm not doing that whole workout then hitting another 100 reps, I know I don't have that in me yet

3 hours ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

Total reps for the day, is what I meant by that. So I'll have accumulated 60reps by the time I get to the 2.5, I'll then hit as many sets of 10 as I can on the 2.5, as an example let's say I do 2 sets bringing my daily total up to 80. I would do 2 sets of 10 on the #2, I'm not doing that whole workout then hitting another 100 reps, I know I don't have that in me yet

Ah, check. Still, hefty dot on the horizon. 

• Like 1

Ah, check. Still, hefty dot on the horizon. 

Ya, may be reaching a bit with the volume. It'll take some messing around to get it dialed in. May have to build to that volume, just not sure yet. First time writing myself a gripper program and first time doing a such high volume. 

You'll be fine with that volume, #2 is an easy gripper for you.

I'm curious to know what your #4 rates at? In my opinion it's unnecessary to do negatives with too heavy grippers. They only need to be a little bit harder than your goal gripper.

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

You'll be fine with that volume, #2 is an easy gripper for you.

I'm curious to know what your #4 rates at? In my opinion it's unnecessary to do negatives with too heavy grippers. They only need to be a little bit harder than your goal gripper.

I haven't had it rated. It's the only gripper I have that's heavier then the 3.5 atm. I plan on getting a GHP 7, 8 & 9 soon. 

8 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Ok, yes definitely get some rated grippers, makes training so much easier. You could also get a filed #3.5.

I'd like to get mine rated and buy some that are rated. 

Wouldnt it make more sense to get a filed 3 as 3.5 is the goal?

How wide are the reps you do? For the 2.5 reps for instance? 

It'll depend on the day. On the heavy day for instance I'll be doing CCS closes (especially in warm up) as the goal for that day is developing strength through the whole ROM. Reps day will be somewhere between CCS and MMS as goal for the day is hypertrophy I don't want to be cutting the ROM to short as to miss out on that. Speed day will be from MMS as the idea is to generate as much power as possible. These will be changed up and played with as I work though the program and will depend on how my hand feels that day. 

12 minutes ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

I'd like to get mine rated and buy some that are rated. 

Wouldnt it make more sense to get a filed 3 as 3.5 is the goal?

I was thinking you can do negatives and cheat closes with a filed #3.5 if you're goal is to close the #3.5. A filed #3 will of course also be useful for overcrush/beyond the range training.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I was thinking you can do negatives and cheat closes with a filed #3.5 if you're goal is to close the #3.5. A filed #3 will of course also be useful for overcrush/beyond the range training.

Ahh gotcha. Makes sense. 

Gripnbend will have a gripper rating service soon if you're interested in getting yours rated.

• Like 3

@Andrew Dube That's awesome news about the gripper rating service. I was going to suggest to you or Tyson that you start doing that.

Murray, none of my grippers are rated either. I think it will make a huge difference in training for your big goals to have rated grippers.

Al

11 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

Gripnbend will have a gripper rating service soon if you're interested in getting yours rated.

Good to know! I figured that was coming down the pipe sooner or later. Will gripper filing be available soon as well?

12 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

That is great to hear.

4 hours ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

Good to know! I figured that was coming down the pipe sooner or later. Will gripper filing be available soon as well?

No plans as of yet for filing. But definitely something I'm interested in down the road. I want to play with filing some of my own grippers for a while first. 

W1D1 - Monday - Heavy day

Initially I was disappointed with my attempt on the 3.5 as it felt like it was quite wide but after watching the video I'm quite happy with my starting point from CCS.

I feel like I nailed the programming for this day, after taking 3 days off I had just enough strength in my to get the last 2 reps in without serious performance degradation. After doing this workout I think @Fist of Fury is right by saying I would be well served with a filed 3.5 for negatives. 

Interested to see how I will respond with lower frequency but higher accumulated volume throughout the week.

IMG_4326.PNG

• Like 1

Great attempt. Try and get a little quicker with the set and swipe. The longer you take the more energy you waste 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Great attempt. Try and get a little quicker with the set and swipe. The longer you take the more energy you waste 

Ya definitely a skill that needs practice. I used a different technique for my #3 cert so having to learn this for the first time. 

Ah this is one of those 'Hey guys, this is my log for trying to cert the 3.5 and I...ah no wait, got it already, nevermind' logs :laugh

Anyway, you got some serious strong hands brother. This is only a short matter of time when you get some more training. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

Ah this is one of those 'Hey guys, this is my log for trying to cert the 3.5 and I...ah no wait, got it already, nevermind' logs :laugh

Anyway, you got some serious strong hands brother. This is only a short matter of time when you get some more training. 

It'll turn into the quest for #4 once the 3.5 is done. ;)

Thanks though man.