Heavy Friggin' Sandbags!

Sybersnott

I built a 150 pound sandbag over the weekend, and today, I gave it a test spin for the first time.

I immediately noticed that this is great for your grip! ;) Attack the bag, grip it hard, pull it off the ground to chest high, then drop it. I did this a few times and now my grip is SINGING!! :blink:yikes:yikes

If you've never tried sandbag lifting, ya gotta do it. The materials are cheap, readily available, PLUS you get one hell of a workout! :tongue:D

A friend of mine made some sand bags by duct taping 3 70lb sand tubes together(about 215lbs) and also has a 4 'tuber'(about 285lbs).Used a couple of rolls of duct tape per 'bag'but they ARE very sturdy...sort of like carrying a Husafelt stone.

I suspect the sand tubes PLUS lots of duct tape makes them more rigid than a conventional sand bag though....thus creating a different 'feel' when lifting them.

Sounds like you are having fun.

Well, it looks like 150 pounds is just child's play for me. Today, I shouldered the bag three times. So I might haffta up the weight to 200 pounds. Back to Home Depot again. :(

Snott,

goodjob on manhandling the 150lb bag! I have a question for you: How do you actually grip the bag in your training? Grasping the bag or getting your hands under the sand?

It's been a while since I tried any sandbag lifting the most I ever got overhead was 120lbs of sand and it was a pretty ugly looking lift :laugh

Jon@han

Jonathan,

I grab the bag in a variety of ways. Sometimes on the bottom, sometimes on the side. Then when I pull up, I get my hands under and continue to pull up.

You really need to work at sandbag lifting to get good at it. ALSO - VERY IMPORTANT... warm up your back before doing any serious sandbag lifting. DL's, bent over rows, high cleans... that sort of thing.

So you're stymied with a 120 pounder, huh? So what... just keep working at it! As I've said before.... Work In Progress!! ;):happy

Haven't touched them in over a year...probably collecting some exotic mold spores in my garage.

Along the same lines as this training was Apwlder's Glob. I've yet to give it a try though. Walmart has the physio balls on pretty cheap last time I checked so maybe I'll give it a try in the near future...for some fun lifting outdoors, at the very least it'll be a good excuse for a water fight :)

Jon@han

Ive done this.. except with the bladder from a waterbed all folded up, it weighed a lot on its own and I think it wasnt all the way empty either. Must have weighed at least 150-175 lbs. Picked it up against my chest husafel stone style, through a hallway and down some stairs and outside to the moving van. It definately affected my entire body pretty much... including forearms. I would love to get some sandbags or something but right now I'm in an apartment so there is really no room for it. Fun stuff! :cool

Interesting tale about moving the waterbed bladder Jett! I should think it'd flop around like crazy and would have been quite a handful!

Jon@han