2017 September- Cross-Canada Grip Sport Challenge- Waterloo - Mike Murray

MurrayStrongman

This was my first ever grip contest and my first competition of any kind since tearing  my Achilles' tendon in May. In many ways my torn Achilles was a blessing in disguise, without it I never would have focused my training on grip, probably would not have yet certified on the CoC #3 and never would have discovered Grip Board and by extension grip sport. 

I wasn't sure what to expect coming into my first grip competition but Rob welcomed me into his home and introduced me to several of the competiors who had made it to his house before me. We weighed in and chatted as the other competitors trickled in until every one had arrived and it was time to get down to business. 

First up was the Gold Bar, I had never touched this implement before Friday evening but quickly got a feel for it. I took my first attempt in the 40lbs range and lifted it easily, my second (and best) attempt came at 50.5lbs and I again lifted it with little difficulty. At this point I decided to stay out for a few jumps, a decision which would come back to haunt me. I missed my next 2 attempts to finish with a lift of 50.5lbs for a tie for 14th place. was told

Next up was the 2.5" crusher. I was told by Rob that typically people lift about 30lbs less then they do on Rolling Thunder, being able to lift around 200-205lbs I decided to take my first attempt around 160. My first and 2nd lifts were both successful in the 160-170 range. My next attempt came at 175.9lbs, which ended up being my best lift on the event for a 5th place overall finish. I tried for a lift in the 180s but missed. Highlight of this event was seeing Rick set a new Canadian record at 205.35lbs. 

Third event was he IronMind Hub. My previous best on this was 45lbs so to hear the numbers being talked about in the room was a little intimidating but in warm ups I easily hit 45lbs. Little did I know when I hit my 45lbs PR, I hadn't used nearly enough chalk.  I think I still ended up taking 45lbs as an opener just to be safe. My 2nd attempt was in the 50-55lbs range and was successful. My 3rd attempt came at 60.5lbs and was a near miss. I took 5 mins to shake my hand out and stretch my wrist and hit it for my final attempt for a 5th place overall finish. Another highlight was seeing Mark Lacina (my ref for CoC cert) hit a Canadian record 69.2lbs. 

Final event was my bread and butter, the silver bullet, although I have never touched a silver bullet anyone who has seen any of my post over the last few months knows I love my grippers. I do 10lbs strap holds almost daily on the #2 so i was exited to see what I could do on the silver bullet. I was the last one up so I knew I needed to beat the :35 mark set by Rick. I set up and held, around the :30 mark the bullet slipped on me a bit and I had to squeeze hard before it fell. I managed to crank out another 6 seconds before I lost the hold for real. I was a little disappointed because I felt like I could have held it for another 10sec+ but it just wasn't in the cards that night. I managed to hold the #3 for 36.21sec for first place overall. 

I was very happy to learn the next day that I had taken 2nd in my weight class and 4th overall. Big thanks go out to Eric for organizing and Rob for hosting. I had an awesome time, met some great people and will definitely be out for another contest soon. 

Videos of all my lifts:

post event medley:

Edited by MurrayStrongnan
  • Like 6