2017 August - Anaheim FIT EXPO - Riccardo Magni

riccardomagni

The Anaheim FIT EXPO.   The 9th Odd Haugen FIT EXPO contest that I have done could not have gone much better.  The field was VERY strong.  Put it this way: 2 WSM competitors, one Olympian, and one DI college lineman.  That doesn't even count the most impressive guy in the contest, Eric Roussin, who lifted with us in between winning the Arm wrestling contest.

Here’s the rundown on my experience.

First event: Rolling Thunder

I did the opening weight of 65kg,  passed 70kg, and then made 75, 80, and 85kg easily. Somehow 90kg was glued to the floor.  The handle was brand new and was of the new design with the end caps.  I got 8th place.  It was a 2kg PR with the new handle.  Still, more work is needed here...

Second event: Apollon’s Axle Deadlift

I deadlifted quite frequently during this training cycle and it showed.  I made 170kg very easily.   Unfortunately, 175kg was not a choice and we had to go to 180kg.  I gave it two good tries, but I was not quite ready for it.  Still, the last time I made this in a contest I was 15# heavier so it was a PR.  Even better, I was 3rd place!!

Third event: Silver Bullet

I tried the #4 gripper but it proved to be too much.   Even though I had done it before in training, the grippers vary too much.  This one was a brick, probably 220#.  The next day after the contest,  Matt Cannon posted that he rated 4 #4 grippers that ranged from 213#-221#.  I quickly abandoned the idea of setting it and moved on to the #3.  I had about a 15-20 second break.  I held on for my second best contest time ever, 21.50 seconds.  Good finish here.  5th place.   It was a calculated gamble.  If I had done the #4, I would have won the event.  Only one other athlete tried the #4 and he couldn't set it either.

END OF DAY 1: 5th place.

This was decent as I knew I had prepared well for Day 2. I also knew that I would have to PR in both events in order to make the podium Sunday afternoon.

Day 2: First event: The Hub

Most people that follow this sport know that I have some level of proficiency with the Hub.  I didn't disappoint here, hitting a PR of 69# and actually winning the event!!  It was the first time at one of these “pro” shows that I have won an event.  Very exciting for me.  Super close finish as two other guys also made 69# and bodyweight was the tiebreaker. Good thing that I haven't had dessert in a long time...

Second event: Blockbuster Pinch Block

Like so many contests, it always comes down to the last event.  Before the 7 weeks I had to train for this contest, my BBPB PR was 65#.  Luckily I was able to make 72# and 77# in the contest.   Amazingly, that was only good for 7th place!  Four guys did 87# or better!!

After running the finals numbers through what seemed like a computer mainframe, it was discovered that I got third place in the 200#+ class.  This is the second time that I have gotten third place in one of these contests, but the field was SO strong.  I am well aware that with a different combination of events, I could have been fifth or sixth.  And I also realize that withslightly more forgiving #4, I could have won the contest!

More importantly than the result was the time spent with Bryan, Eric, and Carl.  These guys are ridiculously good and very fun to hang out with.  I learned a lot from them and had fun.  I got to meet Michael Thomas from Oregon and he did a great job in his first big contest.   Of course, I have competed against Martins, John Machnik, and Jon Eklund several times since we all live in California. These guys are all very strong and very talented.  And of course,  how do I leave out everybody's favorite Viking, Odd Haugen?  He literally limped over from the scorer ’s table and won the Rolling Thunder and then limped back over there with a very bad hip.  At age 67.  

I would like to thank all of the people that have taken the time to help me prepare for the contest.   Be it a training tip, a quick message of encouragement,  or by posting a fantastic lift, many people helped me get ready for this contest. 

In the end, I am so glad that I followed the training program that I did and that my nutrition and conditioning have improved so much.  That made the difference for me this time.

Here's a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/5_c_PhXiFX4

Here's a link to This Week in Grip where I was a guest on the show for about 30 minutes.   I had fun.  Thanks Jedd and Allen!

https://youtu.be/zIi64M-DI8w

• Like 3

Riccardo, it was great to finally meet you and learned a lot by watching you! For you to finish top 3 overall and win the Hub was just incredible as that field was truly elite. Great job again on all of your contest PR's and keep it going!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riccardomagni said:

Thanks, Michael! That's the plan.  What's next for you?  King Kong?

You are welcome big guy. My immediate plan is to get everybody in the family 90% healthy, start new school year and then enter King Kong 👍