Bay State Bending Bash 1

KRC

Another big update: 

PRIZES have been finalized

The winner of each component (unbraced, braced, endurance) will receive a $50 FBBC Gift Card

The overall winner (best score of all three components combind) will receive a $150 FBBC Gift Card.  I also have an additional grand prize in the works that is still TBD.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KRC said:

Another big update: 

PRIZES have been finalized

The winner of each component (unbraced, braced, endurance) will receive a $50 FBBC Gift Card

The overall winner (best score of all three components combind) will receive a $150 FBBC Gift Card.  I also have an additional grand prize in the works that is still TBD.  

So sick! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin:

How will the flow of the comp go? Will multiple people be bending at once? One by one? How is the order set? I am just curious as I know how this stuff goes in a grip comp but not sure for this comp. thanks.

Don

• Like 1

I vote for all-same-time free-for-all format

• Like 2

Hey guys sorry for the delay. 

The details of the events were constructed with time/sequencing specifically in mind so that competitors could go one at a time.  I have discussed having a second acting judge but the plan has always  been one judge, one competitor at a time, with the similar queuing style we know from grip comps - up now, up next, in the hole.  Though I don't anticipate there to be any shenanigans, judging 8 people bending at once could be problematic.  Plus then I'd have to do my bends with 8 people watching!  

Having said that, reverting to a "group attempt" if we're short on time is definitely an option.  

• Like 1

Some other info: 

- Though there are limited extra's of the various bending supplies - pads, bands, etc. - I recommend acting as if there are none.  In other words, bring your own gear.  IM Pads, DHWOG pads (I have four sets of these as I know not everyone has them), towels for snapping/braced, duct tape, rubber bands, etc. etc. 

- Related to this and perhaps more importantly, I would bring "warm up" bars for the events.  Similar to the above, there will *likely* be enough to allow for a warm up or two, but I wouldn't assume there will be.  

- Post-comp food and drink will be provided on site. None of it is exactly performance fuel though, so bring gatorade, clif bars, etc. for snacks during the comp.  

- Start time is 10am.  I will be up early getting ready, and will head to the hotel around 9am for a final pick up for those of you staying there without a car.  

- For those coming, if you haven't already please contact me now for my address and phone number.  

Keep the questions coming!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KRC said:

None of it is exactly performance fuel though, so bring gatorade, clif bars, etc. for snacks during the comp.

I got this covered peeps.  I'm visiting the Land of Costcovia on the way up and I'd like to contribute to the day. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

I got this covered peeps.  I'm visiting the Land of Costcovia on the way up and I'd like to contribute to the day. :)

Very generous sir!!

4 hours ago, KRC said:

Hey guys sorry for the delay. 

The details of the events were constructed with time/sequencing specifically in mind so that competitors could go one at a time.  I have discussed having a second acting judge but the plan has always  been one judge, one competitor at a time, with the similar queuing style we know from grip comps - up now, up next, in the hole.  Though I don't anticipate there to be any shenanigans, judging 8 people bending at once could be problematic.  Plus then I'd have to do my bends with 8 people watching!  

Having said that, reverting to a "group attempt" if we're short on time is definitely an option.  

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. Do you know what the bars and calibrations to be used are yet? What hotel are people staying at? Thanks.

• Like 1

Yessir, I'll post the bars that will be used for the unbraced portion tonight, ratings are still coming in, and I'll post those as I get more.  

• Like 2

Hotel I recommend is Hampton Inn in Natick, but if you search for hotels near Sherborn, MA, there are a few options.  

• Like 1

Bars being used for unbraced portion (all 7" drill rod): 

15/64"
1/4"
G
17/64"
I
9/32"
L
19/64"
N
5/16"
O
P
21/64"
Q

• Like 1

Was there anything decided about weight classes?  The idea of letting everyone bend individually sounds pretty awesome!

This time around will be open weight.  Among other reasons for this are the fact that I don't even have a scale :)

2 hours ago, KRC said:

This time around will be open weight.  Among other reasons for this are the fact that I don't even have a scale :)

OK, cool.  Been hovering right around 200lbs.  Now I can eat a little more.  :D

• Like 2

Jacks Abbey Lager is in Framingham! I drank that vienna lager for like a month when I first had it - pairs well with steel bending and screaming too - Massachusetts! 

• Like 4

Kevin -

Is there a definite order of events yet?  And what will be the rule for using rubber bands?

Hey Carl - order of events are as posted in the OP, so unbraced (first DO, then DU, then Rev), then a brief break (10-15 min), then braced, then a break, then snaps.  Breaks will be played by ear.  

Rubber bands - not quite ironmind rules as you are allowed to keep them on, but otherwise the same.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tying up loose ends at this point. Braced and snap steel is all set, unbrsced is nearly done.  I radically underestimated the complexity involved in preparing all this steel by hand ;) but all should be squared away by tomorrow.  

Comp day details: reminder to bring whatever supplies you feel you may need, e.g. rubber bands, wraps, chalk, towel for snapping and braced, duct tape or ace bandage for snap, etc.  There will be minimal extras.  

Bill LePage @Sapper88 will graciously be providing food for the day, including venison steaks and burgers, brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken and various side options.  He has asked me to ask the group who wants what in an effort to ballpark how much to bring, so please reply here.  

Similarly, beer preferences are appreciated too so I know what to buy.  Types are best (ipa, porter, etc).

Lastly (for now) please let me know if you plan on driving.   I want to estimate number of cars as there is no street parking.  Those who need my address, please PM me.

6 days!!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, KRC said:

Tying up loose ends at this point. Braced and snap steel is all set, unbrsced is nearly done.  I radically underestimated the complexity involved in preparing all this steel by hand ;) but all should be squared away by tomorrow.  

Comp day details: reminder to bring whatever supplies you feel you may need, e.g. rubber bands, wraps, chalk, towel for snapping and braced, duct tape or ace bandage for snap, etc.  There will be minimal extras.  

Bill LePage @Sapper88 will graciously be providing food for the day, including venison steaks and burgers, brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken and various side options.  He has asked me to ask the group who wants what in an effort to ballpark how much to bring, so please reply here.  

Similarly, beer preferences are appreciated too so I know what to buy.  Types are best (ipa, porter, etc).

Lastly (for now) please let me know if you plan on driving.   I want to estimate number of cars as there is no street parking.  Those who need my address, please PM me.

6 days!!

I am so excited! I am easy with food and beer, no preference, whatever is better for you. I will be driving over. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KRC said:

6 days!!

Sounds like a rocking contest is gonna happen. Sadly im out. Good luck to all

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KRC said:

Sorry to hear that man; hopefully this is the first of many and you can make it up sometime.   

This is like the third contest I planned to go to and the universe road blocks me. I cant seem to win. Anyways. I hope to make it to the next one as well.  

On 4/22/2018 at 8:57 PM, KRC said:

6 days!!

This is awesome!  Major thanks!!  Stout/porter and hamburgers all the way.  :D   My wife and I will be driving, but she will probably be going shopping at some point, since this is our "vacation."  

• Like 4