Bay State Bending Bash 1

KRC

Super cool and innovative bending devices are definitely on the way! Bill is absolutely full of great ideas. 

• Thanks 1

Just tried long bar for the first time in ??? (at least a few years).  Man I feel old!  Gonna be bruised and sore tomorrow.  :laugh

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Just tried long bar for the first time in ??? (at least a few years).  Man I feel old!  Gonna be bruised and sore tomorrow.  :laugh

I need to get into gear myself. Been buying things other than steel. Partly because im an idiot and would end up getting the wrong stuff.

23 hours ago, KapMan said:

I need to get into gear myself. Been buying things other than steel. Partly because im an idiot and would end up getting the wrong stuff.

Here is a link that will take you directly to the order page:  https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=10238&step=4&showunits=inches&id=843&top_cat=849

Order some 3-foot sections, which will probably save you on shipping.  But will be wasting unusable portions of the bar if you cut them down at all.  I used to order 6-7 feet lengths and cut them into multiple sections, which was more cost-effective in the long run, when factoring in shipping costs.  Some places will cut to size, but usually at a way higher cost.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks to everyone who's given feedback to date and to all for your patience.  

We FINALLY have a date - Saturday, April 28th 2018 at my home in Sherborn MA.  I will add an entry form and liability waiver for competitors to complete and when I receive that back, I'll provide the address.  

To answer some of the FAQ's that I've been getting: 

- The drill rod for the unbraced portion likely will be rated.  I expect to have this confirmed by late January/early February
- I am working on an online component to augment the in person comp based on demand.  There will be costs associated with the steel for remote competitors, only to cover costs.
- The Hampton Inn in Natick is probably the closest / easiest hotel in the area.  It's 5 miles away.  
- The lengths of bars to be used in the braced portion have changed, but the dimensions offered will still allow for rank novices to compete. 

More details to come - for now check out the attendee list ... reply here or PM me!!

• Like 4

Awesome!  I'm pretty close to 100%. :rock

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First update: Thanks to the extremely generous efforts of @Adam Juncker, I'm happy to say that the short steel for the unbraced components of the competition WILL BE RATED. Adam and I have both done our own independent testing, and believe the apparatus to generate ratings that are within historically acceptable tolerances.  

The steel to be used for the comp will be purchased, rated, and prepared for the event shortly.  

Second update: This years event will be in-person only.  I will consider online portions for future events, but it's not in the cards for me this time around.  I hope to see a good turn out.  

Third update: This comp will have NO entry fee, and entry form will be posted to the comp thread shortly.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, KRC said:

First update: Thanks to the extremely generous efforts of @Adam Juncker, I'm happy to say that the short steel for the unbraced components of the competition WILL BE RATED. Adam and I have both done our own independent testing, and believe the apparatus to generate ratings that are within historically acceptable tolerances.  

The steel to be used for the comp will be purchased, rated, and prepared for the event shortly.  

Second update: This years event will be in-person only.  I will consider online portions for future events, but it's not in the cards for me this time around.  I hope to see a good turn out.  

Third update: This comp will have NO entry fee, and entry form will be posted to the comp thread shortly.  

I am as close to 100% as I can be. Which means baring something crazy coming up, I will be there. Very excited!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

I am as close to 100% as I can be. Which means baring something crazy coming up, I will be there. Very excited!

Great to hear; added!!

• 1 month later...

Folks, one of many updates below as we approach the comp.  We're now less than 5 weeks out!!

First, many new attendees to add.  At least probable are: 

- @Anton.Torrella Anton Torrella
- Chris Schoeck (not sure if he's on here)
- @Sapper88 Bill LePage
- Derek Smith 
- @windoughboywin Andrew

With @Donc101 and @Buccos1 this brings the competitor list to 8.  

There are a few others I'm working on as well (*cough* @anwnate @FrankD *cough*)

Second, prizes are nearly finalized.  We will have awards for each component winner (i.e. unbraced, braced, and snap) as well as a healthy grand prize for the overall winner.  Plus bragging rights to whoever can stop Don, lol.  

Lastly, the rating device is finally tuned up enough to complete rating.  The final order for steel is placed, and as the bars are completed, I will post pics as I can.  

I've had a lot of questions by PM - keep them coming, here or in PM are both fine.  

• Like 4

Just now, KRC said:

Folks, one of many updates below as we approach the comp.  We're now less than 5 weeks out!!

First, many new attendees to add.  At least probable are: 

- @Anton.Torrella Anton Torrella
- Chris Schoeck (not sure if he's on here)
- @Sapper88 Bill LePage
- Derek Smith 
- @windoughboywin Andrew

With @Donc101 and @Buccos1 this brings the competitor list to 8.  

There are a few others I'm working on as well (*cough* @anwnate @FrankD *cough*)

Second, prizes are nearly finalized.  We will have awards for each component winner (i.e. unbraced, braced, and snap) as well as a healthy grand prize for the overall winner.  Plus bragging rights to whoever can stop Don, lol.  

Lastly, the rating device is finally tuned up enough to complete rating.  The final order for steel is placed, and as the bars are completed, I will post pics as I can.  

I've had a lot of questions by PM - keep them coming, here or in PM are both fine.  

Hmmmm...you aint working hard on getting me (unless you sent your minion @Anton.Torrella).

That said...I will be there...and there shall be joy! 

Not as a competitor of course...but to help, cheer, enjoy the camaraderie and provide libations.

Additionally...rumor has it (cause he told me) that @FrankD will be arriving after his son's communion is over.  Woot!  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, KRC said:

Boom!!  This is shaping up quite well.  Check you FB PM's from this morning for desperate plea's Nate :)

Haha Nice!  Yup...hadn't seen that message.

I know it'll be a blast. 

I should be able to rummage about and find something appropriate to donate to the comp.  ;) 

• Like 2

Wooooooo Massachusetts bending party!

• Like 2

I had thought about taking a crack at it remotely,  but yeah that might be too much work to roll into the contest results. Any chance you'll order extra steel and maybe put together some kits to mail out later, just for fun?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wobbler said:

I had thought about taking a crack at it remotely,  but yeah that might be too much work to roll into the contest results. Any chance you'll order extra steel and maybe put together some kits to mail out later, just for fun?

Hard to say definitively what it will look like at this point, but yes I expect to have leftover steel and it will be posted for sale (on the cheap) post-comp.  

• Like 2

I'm definitely in! :rock

• Like 3

Man. You the wonder going. Might as well not show up!:ohmy

Im still trying to work this out..its a long way for me. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Can't express how valuable it would be to your bending game to have this kind of exposure.  I understand logistics and other constraints can make it hard, but if it's doable at all, you won't regret it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KRC said:

Hard to say definitively what it will look like at this point, but yes I expect to have leftover steel and it will be posted for sale (on the cheap) post-comp.  

HMU!  💪😁

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

My best bending days are way behind me (2011-13).  :(  Will still give it whatever I have left, but I'd position Don as a favorite, as he's been destroying some big steel and is all-around strong.  Like Kevin says, if you (or anyone) has a chance to attend something like this, do it.  You will not regret it.  Speaking from experience, the last real bending comp was the Beast in the East 2 in 2012, and I remember us talking about the next one in '13, but it never ended up happening.  And now it's 6 years later.  When something like this comes around, jump at it!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KRC said:

Can't express how valuable it would be to your bending game to have this kind of exposure.  I understand logistics and other constraints can make it hard, but if it's doable at all, you won't regret it.  

Barring injury or my wife’s issues ill be there. 

Can I bring family?

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, acromegaman said:

HMU!  💪😁

You need the hard metals.  I know a russian guy who knows about hard metals. You might of heard of him:

C1384B55-CE2B-4404-9D7E-28656A01B0D6.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

My best bending days are way behind me (2011-13).  :(  Will still give it whatever I have left, but I'd position Don as a favorite, as he's been destroying some big steel and is all-around strong.  Like Kevin says, if you (or anyone) has a chance to attend something like this, do it.  You will not regret it.  Speaking from experience, the last real bending comp was the Beast in the East 2 in 2012, and I remember us talking about the next one in '13, but it never ended up happening.  And now it's 6 years later.  When something like this comes around, jump at it!

It's a damn shame that I'm going to miss this. Hopefully Kevin will have one next year... ;-) hint hint...

• Like 2