Bay State Bending Bash 1

KRC

Bay State Bending Bash 1 - RESULTS

Date: April 28, 2018, 10am start time. 
Venue: Sherborn, MA

Events

Unbraced 

DO, DU, Reverse - 1:00 time limit, IMP's, 3 attempts. All bars 7" long.

Steel: rated O1 Drill Rod

Braced

Long bar - 2:00 time limit, unlimited wraps, towel for knee/leg, 1 attempt

Steel: A36 Hot Rolled Round
Beginner/Intermediate Bars: 1/2" x 30", 26", 22"
Intermediate/Advanced Bars: 5/8" x 34", 30", 26"

Endurance 

Braced Snap - 5:00 time limit, DHWOG Suede wraps, towels for legs, 1 attempt

Steel: A36 Hot Rolled Round
Beginner/Intermediate Bars: 5/16" x 20", 16", 12"
Intermediate/Advanced Bars: 3/8" x 22", 18", 14"

Scoring

Strongman scoring will be used for all events.  

Unbraced - Highest rated poundage bar bent to spec wins.  Faster bend of same bar wins.  
Braced - Thicker bar beats shorter, bend of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster bend of same diameter and length wins.  
Endurance - Thicker bar beats shorter, snap of shorter bar at same diameter beats longer bar, faster snap of same diameter and length wins.

Prizes

Prizes for each segment winner (i.e. unbraced, braced, and snap) will be a $50 FBBC Gif Card and the overall winner will receive a $150 FBBC Gift Card.  

Attendee List

Confirmed
Kevin Collen
Don Cummings
Carl Donati
Anton Torrella
Chris Schoeck
Bill LePage
Derek Smith
Nate Brous
Jose Cabrera

Probable
Andrew

Sponsors
Adam Juncker
Nate Brous
Bill LePage 

• Like 7

Very excited about this!

Will all the unbraced bars be of the same length? Is each unbraced style contested as a separate event?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Very excited about this!

Will all the unbraced bars be of the same length? Is each unbraced style contested as a separate event?

Unbraced bars are all 7" - post edited.

For segment prizes, total points for all three bends will determine the winner of the unbraced segment.  We will contest all DO bends, then all DU bends, then all reverse bends.

Kevin,

This looks great! This will be a great comp! Thanks for putting this together.

• Like 1

@KRC

Its a bit far out in distance and time for me to confirm, but I will try my hardest to be there!

• Like 1

Awesome!  Any thought of a 5/8 bar under 30"?  Who would be doing the O-1 calibrations?  I'd love to do this if I can ... especially getting a chance to go head-to-head with some like-minded benders before I hang things up for good.  

• Like 2

I love the idea of a bending only competition.... and I would like to attend.

My hands hurt just thinking about it, but the sooner the possible dates are available the better...

• Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 6:24 PM, Buccos1 said:

Awesome!  Any thought of a 5/8 bar under 30"?  Who would be doing the O-1 calibrations?  I'd love to do this if I can ... especially getting a chance to go head-to-head with some like-minded benders before I hang things up for good.  

Hey, sorry for the delay.  

Yes I agonized over diameter and length and am sure for more experienced braced benders that 30" at 5/8" wouldn't be much of a challenge, but decided to bind the event by time.  To me, 30" seems doable by most strong guys with some specific training and whoever can do it fastest wins.  Also helps with moving the comp along :)  What did you have in mind?

Bill Lepage @Sapper88 has said he would be willing to do it.  Exact details have yet to be worked out, but likely will be soon.  

I'd love to have you man, the more experienced guys we get the better for newbs who show up looking to learn.  

On 8/26/2017 at 0:44 AM, richcottrell said:

I love the idea of a bending only competition.... and I would like to attend.

My hands hurt just thinking about it, but the sooner the possible dates are available the better...

I have an exact date in mind, just need to finish logistics and talk to the co-promoters.  This is the busy time at my work, but I'm trying to move it along :) 

3 hours ago, KRC said:

Hey, sorry for the delay.  

Yes I agonized over diameter and length and am sure for more experienced braced benders that 30" at 5/8" wouldn't be much of a challenge, but decided to bind the event by time.  To me, 30" seems doable by most strong guys with some specific training and whoever can do it fastest wins.  Also helps with moving the comp along :)  What did you have in mind?

Bill Lepage @Sapper88 has said he would be willing to do it.  Exact details have yet to be worked out, but likely will be soon.  

I'd love to have you man, the more experienced guys we get the better for newbs who show up looking to learn.  

I haven't touched a 5/8" bar in years, but from memory, a 5/8 x 30" bar is a decent bend.  Getting down to around 25-26" is where most guys progressing good get stopped.  Keep in mind though, HRS varies wildly and a 5/8 x 30" bar from one source might be comparable to a 5/8 x 24" from another source in difficulty.  There were a few times when I ordered HRS and got CRS and just about killed myself trying to bend it (at the length I was at with hot-rolled).  And some HRS is a mess and doesn't bend anything like its counterparts.  I'd just say get it from a reputable place, that's known for consistency.  Fastenal used to be great, but I don't think they sell it anymore.

How long has Bill been calibrating? 

20 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

I haven't touched a 5/8" bar in years, but from memory, a 5/8 x 30" bar is a decent bend.  Getting down to around 25-26" is where most guys progressing good get stopped.  Keep in mind though, HRS varies wildly and a 5/8 x 30" bar from one source might be comparable to a 5/8 x 24" from another source in difficulty.  There were a few times when I ordered HRS and got CRS and just about killed myself trying to bend it (at the length I was at with hot-rolled).  And some HRS is a mess and doesn't bend anything like its counterparts.  I'd just say get it from a reputable place, that's known for consistency.  Fastenal used to be great, but I don't think they sell it anymore.

How long has Bill been calibrating? 

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.  I've been lucky enough to not encounter any substantial variation yet in the almost $1,000 of HRS I've purchased in the last year, but significant testing will be done on this front, as well as on the short bar rating.  

Bill can better answer about his experience, but I know from conversations we've had and other bending products he's produced and shown me that he understands process, quality, etc.  Updates about all comp information including products will be made in this thread as time goes on.  Thanks again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KRC said:

Onlinemetals.com 

I've found them to be pretty good as well. In price, quick delivery and quality. 

• Like 2

I bought a lot of steel from onlinemetals.com too.  It's been a long time, but I don't think I had any issues with them.  Fastenal was the best.  Looking through some old orders, it seems like most of my purchases were from Fastenal and onlinemetals.  Got some stuff from Home Depot and Lowes and it seemed like it was always different, usually harder when compared to something comparable.  For my first year, I bought a lot of HRS from metalsdepot.  This was where I experienced a lot of mixups, getting CRS instead of HRS a few times.  Also some funky bars which were hot-rolled, but seemed mutant-like.  One of the Tractor Supply stores had some HRS I would get every once-in-a-while.

• Like 2

What size bars did you bring to SJ4 @KRC? I bent a 3/4" long bar I think. It was one of the biggest bars. I might end up ordering whatever that size was as well. Also, what lengths were they?

On 9/2/2017 at 4:25 PM, acromegaman said:

What size bars did you bring to SJ4 @KRC? I bent a 3/4" long bar I think. It was one of the biggest bars. I might end up ordering whatever that size was as well. Also, what lengths were they?

I'm 99% sure all the 3/4" bars I brought were 48".  If they were cut at all it was no more than an inch or two.  

I also had 5/8" and 1/2" bars of various lengths.  I didn't write any of the details down but from memory, I think the range of 1/2" bar was 16" to 24" and the range for 5/8" was 24" to 36".  Real guess on the shortest lengths.  

I'm sure you already know this, but be sure when you order to get A36 :)

• Like 1

A lot of new and exciting developments coming out in the lead up to and at this competition.

For those on the fence about coming, try to do anything you can to get there. If you enjoy bending as a hobby, competitive bending or want to learn more about it, this is the place to be.

There will be red nail and FBBC Bastard certified benders there (like @NealB and @KRC) to give tips in a no pressure atmosphere for those beginners or people that just want to take their skills to the next level (myself included). 

I am especially looking forward to learning more from Kevin and hopefully @Andrew Dube about braced bending. Those guys are animals and good at teaching the skills.

And lots of new top secret products to try out in the grip and bending world, as @KRC, @Squeezus and @acromegaman can attest to. This will be the place to put your hands on them and test them out.

Huge props to Kevin on his attention to detail and massive effort in pre-planning. Any donations can go through him to help make this as epic as possible. There will be plenty of good food as well. Steak, brats, dogs, venison,  chicken, etc.

Don't miss out on the bending event of a lifetime. 

Edited by Sapper88
Typo
  • Like 6