Wannagrip

How Did You Get Started Lifting Weights?

Wannagrip

Here is how I got started lifting weights and training.  How did you start?

• Like 5

Kluv#0

I went out for the 8th grade football team and it was mandatory to lift weights. It was 8th thru 12th High school so there was big guys in the weight room especially being a 13yr old. My al Bundy story is that the very first football game I played I was voted player of the week for the entire High school- 8th grade, JV and varsity. Weightlifting has been instrumental in my life and always viewed it is what you put in is what you get out. Extremely proud to have withstood the test of time 37 years of lifting weights and always being drug-free.

• Like 1

paul valpreda

I was skinny and used to be bullied, so I began my weightlifting journey. This was after I'd seen a muscle magazine cover featuring Serge Nubret and from that moment on, that's what I wanted to look like.

• Like 2

John McCarter

I was informed by doctors that my back was so bad that anything beyond 50lbs would crush my spine and I wanted to prove them wrong.

• Like 3

IROC-Z

I started lifting weights in 9th grade because I wanted to get stronger for wrestling.  In 9th grade, I wrestled in the 119# weight class and my max bench press was 120.  By the time I was a senior, I was wrestling in the 205# weight class and my max bench press was 360.  Needless to say, lifting weights completely changed my life.

• Like 1

Andrew P

Birth defect with 3 miss-shaped vertebra's. Physical therapy at 15  then kept going. The stronger the back got the less pain I'm in. Granted now other joints hurt but that was fun getting there. :)

• Like 2

Durrs

I was 11 years old I watched one of my first movies it was "Fire In The Sky" about a supposedly true alien abduction and I was so scared I was going to be abducted by Aliens I started doing a couple hundred push-ups, situps, and DB curls every day so I'd be strong enough fight them off. 

• Like 5

Jörg Keilbach

I lost an armwrestling match in school. I started training with an chest expander and a twister at first. A few weeks later I got a weight set. I soon was the strongest armwrestler in school. That was about 35 years ago.

• Like 2

Fist of Fury

I was around 7 years old when I first tried to lift weights. My older bother bought a dumbbell, which he ended up never using. I think I used it more than him actually, despite he's seven years older than me. 

Back then I obviously didn't know anything about training, the only thing I knew was that Arnold had big muscles in the movie "Commando" :D

I also used the spring collars to train my grip, this was pretty clever of me as a 7 year old because I had never seen anyone do this, I just came up with it. This made me the strongest armwrestler in school, I doubt other kids in my school trained like I did :)

I did some training in my teens as well mainly because everyone did it so I just followed my buddies to the gym. Because of physical limitations I never really did it seriously. I was very small back then, around 60 kg. So the only thing I was better at back then was pull ups and push ups hehe :D

I started lifting consistently around five years ago, I just felt that my health was shit and wanted to do something about it. Picked up grippers in early 2014.

• Like 2

jvance

Saw Terminator

Enough said 

I remember lifting my Dads toolbox bc his dumbbells were all too heavy (80lb and up)

I was so skinny back then heh

• Like 1

Chez

I was skinny growing up but always wanted to strength train. I ran into a football player in my dorm when I went away to college who went to the gym at night. I asked him to take me with him so I could learn since no one in family had experience with it. I was hooked from the start and began researching more and more to get better. 

• Like 1

patrickmeniru
On 8/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, Jörg Keilbach said:

I lost an armwrestling match in school. I started training with an chest expander and a twister at first. A few weeks later I got a weight set. I soon was the strongest armwrestler in school. That was about 35 years ago.

My story is very similar to this one! I lost an armwrestle at school aged 12 and decided that should never happen again. Went home and found a pair of 5kg golds dumbbells that my dad had lying around and started doing curls every night before bed. I refused to let myself do fewer reps than the night before and after a couple of months I was doing 1500 reps (750 per arm in an alternating style). I stopped when my forearms started cramping uncontrollably during the day, but safe to say when the next armwrestling season came around (the following summer) I got my revenge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fist of Fury
16 minutes ago, patrickmeniru said:

My story is very similar to this one! I lost an armwrestle at school aged 12 and decided that should never happen again. Went home and found a pair of 5kg golds dumbbells that my dad had lying around and started doing curls every night before bed. I refused to let myself do fewer reps than the night before and after a couple of months I was doing 1500 reps (750 per arm in an alternating style). I stopped when my forearms started cramping uncontrollably during the day, but safe to say when the next armwrestling season came around (the following summer) I got my revenge!

Wow, thats a lot of reps!

patrickmeniru
21 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Wow, thats a lot of reps!

Yeah, I used to do them all in one long set, took ages by the end. Definitely not an optimal way to train, but I didn't know any better!

Jörg Keilbach

I did similar training with the Twister. Later I bought a book from Arnold and did his 6 day a week pre contest training. 20-30 sets each body part twice a week. 

JasonL

My older brother got me into it when I was 13.  He got me dumbbells and use to write workouts for me. I was hooked from then on.  Dam..a good 28 years ago..wow, time goes by...

Joseph Sullivan

I got started lifting weights because my dad was a bodybuilder and he grew up with Lou Ferrigno… I had quite a bit of exposure to Ferrigno in person  when I was a child and this was during the days of the incredible hulk television series. Being  exposed to my dad and Lou Ferrigno Had me bitten  with the bug From a very young age! I was always more interested in the strength aspect of it then the cosmetic side.