TerryTs' training time.

terryt3o3

19/08/2017

I thought I might as well start a training log in order to halt my screwarounditus. I started grippers about 1 year ago, was just managing to do 1 rep of the CoC Guide, and now I'm here.

Today's workout was using a RB adjustable. Rests between my working sets were 10 deep breaths (~30 seconds). MMS was used for all work.

Gripper warm up both hands:

Setting 4-4 X10

4-5X5

5-5X5

5-6X5

6-6X5

6-7X5

Took a hit on my CoC 2 to see where I was, I missed by about 3 mm today.

Working sets right hand: 4 sets of 10 at 7-7 setting. Sets 5 and 6 were 7 reps because I missed on the 8th rep, these were then forced shut and held until I couldn't.

Working sets left hand: 3 sets of 10 at 7-7 setting. Sets 4, 5, 6 I was failing at the 8th rep, so I again forced shut and held till failure.

Extensors: Rubber bands 5x20

Sledge hammer work was 3 days ago:

4kg sledge hammer held at 15 cm from head, 6 sets of 10 for protonation/supination rotations.

Hopefully keeping track of this will help me be more consistent. Thoughts after this training is that I should invest in some chalk, I could feel the grippers starting to slide in my hand towards the end of my last few sets.

Edited by terryt3o3

Good to keep a log, it keeps you motivated and keep better track of what you are doing and evaluating. Good luck.

You made some good progress still, from Guide tot IM#2 now so that shows you have enough potential in your hands. Grippers are a lot of technique and the advantage of training the RB is that you will get better at setting grippers, since the linear resistance makes for a more difficult set. I see you have enough strength left during the session for multiple sets, you could consider to add  1 or 3 at most MMS singles first at your goal gripper (IM#2) in the session when you are still fresh and then switch to your adjustable for the easier sets of multiple reps. Torsionspring grippers have a more nasty bite (ramping up) in the end  and since you are working on the last few mm of your goalgripper I would say to focus on that with the regular gripper(s) and to do the multiple rep sets with your adjustable. Only a suggestion of course. You could also consider for a change, choking your IM#2 with a hoseclamp to parallel and then explode into the close. After that, switch to the normal reps with the RB in the same session. Closing a gripper from choked position is a little bit different of course compared to closing it from MMS, but it gives you the satisfying feeling of feeling it actually closed which makes you feel it is doable.  

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation. I have done some heavy singles in the past, I tried training like chez describes in his video for a month. However I found the negatives were starting to hurt around my elbow, and I kept feeling like it should have more volume. I think I will try some heavy singles again before my normal volume work.

I agree with Geralt and don't do negatives. There's really no need for you to do them, at the level you're at now there's plenty of room for improvement just by doing normal rep work. Negatives are very risky and in my opinion is not worth it only after one year of gripper training.

Try high volume, low/medium intensity, that will give you a very solid base to work from.

20/08/2017

Thanks for the advice !

Sledge hammer work, 4kg, 2 min rest periods.

Right and left hand front levers, 6 sets of 10 reps, had to reduce distance on subsequent sets to complete reps, 24 cm, 21, 18, 18, 18,18 cm.

rear levers 6 sets of 10 at 18 cm

24/08/2017

Would have liked to do this sooner, but I got caught up with work.

Gripper warm up both hands:

RBA

Setting 4-4 X10

4-5X5

5-5X5

5-6X5

6-6X5

6-7X5

Working sets for both hands:

10 X 10 set at 7-7 Rest between sets was 10 breaths (~30 seconds).

1x 10 sec over crush at 8-8.

6X20 extensor bands. No real rest break, just switched right left right etc.

High volume at the moment as I am trying to do some hypotrophy work for a few weeks before doing a strength block. I'm hoping to get in the gym later today to do some pinch work and get back to doing some PL stuff.

Edited by terryt3o3
added rest periods.
  • Like 1

28/08/2017

Really was not feeling it today. It was my rest day between some powerlifting, and I just feel shot, probably not the best day to try increasing the setting on my RBA.

Working sets were:

right hand: setting 7-8 for 7 sets of 10.

left hand: 7-8 for 2 sets of 10, 7-7 for 1 set of 10. I couldn't get the first rep of the next set, so I called it for the day.

I tried to use chalk for the first time today. The gripper really dug into my hand (skin on fingers) and hurt much more than I have ever had from grippers before. I actually went and washed it off my hands half way through the session. I think the pain affected my enthusiasm today, and will try again tomorrow.

Other work this week/since last log post:

3 powerlifting sessions.

2HP 40kg 8X1 new volume PR

Sledge levering: Forward, rear and protonation/supination. To check where I was, I did some sledge  deadlifts (4kg, 36cm from head, to lockout), and face levers (3kg, 66cm from head).

29/08/2017

Came back at it hard after yesterday's "defeat".

Grippers using the RBA with a MM set and rest periods of 45-60 seconds

Right hand: setting 7-7, 9 sets of 10, 1 set of 11 (amrap). Followed by 8 sec hold on 8-8.

Left hand: setting 7-7, 10 sets of 10, couldn't hold the 8-8 shut.

Went for power lifting after:

Bench press: 6x3x 60kg,

Deadlift: 4x2x 85kg, 

OHP: 4x2x 30kg,

Squat:4x2x 55kg,

Lat pull downs: 2x25x25kg,

Calf raises: 2x25x 40kg,

Tricep extensions: 2x16x8kg.

Finished this off by trying out my moon top for the first time. I was able to hold 5kg for 8 seconds. The next jump i could make with my weights was 7.5kg which I couldn't break off the ground. This is my first attempt with a gip top, and I like the implement, but the holes in the top do not match up with the holes in the loading pin so I needed to jerry rig something with a carabiner and some nylon strapping I found. Over all it was a good day today.

On 2017-08-28 at 9:20 PM, terryt3o3 said:

28/08/2017

Really was not feeling it today. It was my rest day between some powerlifting, and I just feel shot, probably not the best day to try increasing the setting on my RBA.

Working sets were:

right hand: setting 7-8 for 7 sets of 10.

left hand: 7-8 for 2 sets of 10, 7-7 for 1 set of 10. I couldn't get the first rep of the next set, so I called it for the day.

I tried to use chalk for the first time today. The gripper really dug into my hand (skin on fingers) and hurt much more than I have ever had from grippers before. I actually went and washed it off my hands half way through the session. I think the pain affected my enthusiasm today, and will try again tomorrow.

Other work this week/since last log post:

3 powerlifting sessions.

2HP 40kg 8X1 new volume PR

Sledge levering: Forward, rear and protonation/supination. To check where I was, I did some sledge  deadlifts (4kg, 36cm from head, to lockout), and face levers (3kg, 66cm from head).

I think you should definitely train grippers at the same time as you train powerlifting.

Squats + Grippers = Win 

Good to see that you use chalk. Keep using it. One of the mistakes I did as a beginner was not to use chalk. Using it will ensure that your workouts will be consistent and that you're not missing reps because of slippage. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two sessions to report.

05/09/2017

I was short on time so I brought some grippers to the gym to do between sets.

Right hand sets to failure. I had 1 minute between gym sets, and I did these during those 1 minute rest periods.

COC 1.5 MMS for 8, 8, 8, 10, 13, 13, 10, 10, 13, 9 

Left, COC 1 MMS for 5, 5, 5, 5,

07/09/2017

Sledge levering 3 sets of 15-20 (wherever failure was) front and rear both sides. For the sake of it I tried a face lever, got it at 4kg holding at 45cm, Not the end of the handle, but I am getting there.

RBA Right hand MMS, setting 9-9 for 4, 5, 5, 4, 5, 5.

RBA left hand MMS, setting 8-8  for 4, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Right hand COC #2 attempts MMS 3 attempts, best one got to approximately 1 mm from close. I am hopeful for my attempts next month.

09/09/2017

Brought my grippers to the gym again. I did a simple warm up with the Coc guide, and then tried my CoC #2 between set of squats. I finally closed my #2 from a MMS. I hit my goal finally, next up will either be to CCS it, or to mms the 2.5, I haven't decided yet. I got 4 singles from a mms, with an over crush, and on the 5th to be sure I was wide enough, i used a different gripper handle as a setting block and got that too.

I have started to do timed holds on the Hornetop, at the moment I am at 25kg +implement for 15 seconds. I am also now ding some sledge levering every day.

• Like 1

Nice job, i would work on ccs/tns with it as you will see better general hand strength carryover than you would with mms.

1 hour ago, jvance said:

Nice job, i would work on ccs/tns with it as you will see better general hand strength carryover than you would with mms.

How would  you work that into a routine? So far I have been doing my warm ups, and then doing high (10x10) volume mms at 80%.

I would say it totally depends on your goals. I think you should keep doing what you're doing as long as it works for you, which it apparently does.

For general hand strength, keep doing the thick bar holds and add in some pinch as well. As for grippers you can try to train two times per week, one day with wide set and one with MMS or 20 mm block set. The wide set day will be the light day, but you can of course switch it up and make the wide set the hard day and the narrow set easier, (higer reps) as well.

If you're goal is the get certified as captains of crush, I'd say work yourself up to block setting the #3's and then work on wider set from there. You're not going to close a #3 from CCS if you can't close it with a MMS.

45 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

I would say it totally depends on your goals. I think you should keep doing what you're doing as long as it works for you, which it apparently does.

For general hand strength, keep doing the thick bar holds and add in some pinch as well. As for grippers you can try to train two times per week, one day with wide set and one with MMS or 20 mm block set. The wide set day will be the light day, but you can of course switch it up and make the wide set the hard day and the narrow set easier, (higer reps) as well.

If you're goal is the get certified as captains of crush, I'd say work yourself up to block setting the #3's and then work on wider set from there. You're not going to close a #3 from CCS if you can't close it with a MMS.

Thanks, I think i will do mainly mms or 20mm as i would like to go for the number 3 at some point, really I would just like to close my 3 before i even think of certing.

12/09/2017

I have been working my grippers into my PL for the sake of time, but I think that I will move them back to dedicated time slots as I am not doing as much as I would like.

RBA right hand MMS setting 8-9, 5 sets to failure, somewhere between 7-10 reps.

RBA left hand MMS setting 8-8, 4 set to failure 7-20 reps.

HorneTop: 22.5 kg 5 holds for time per side all in the 10 -12 second range.

Sledge levering: 3 sets 15-20 front and 3 sets of 15-20 rear lever per side.

2hp 40kg (just using the only two flat plates my gym has) 4 holds of ~7 sec.

I moved the RBA setting up this week, as I tried going to failure on the 7-7 setting I was using two weeks ago and it took 20 reps to hit failure. I am really liking the HorneTop, but I am not entirely sure of how to progress for the static work like the HorneTop, 2hp, or for my other griptopz, the moontop, stub and half penny. I am thinking take a weight I can hold for 10-15 sec and once I reach 20 sec increase weight. I might try to do each top once a week for 3 sets. This way I still have 2 thick bar tops and 2 pinch tops each week, but I am not carrying all 4 tops and the pin to the gym each day. 

14/09/2017

Went back to a dedicated high volume/intensity grip session before doing my PL.

Using the RBA again so that I can work at a high % of my 1rm.

Right hand MMS RBA setting 8-9, 8x10. I would have liked to go for more sets, but when I went for set 9 I couldn't close the first rep.

Left hand MMS RBA setting 8-8, 4x10. Same thing happened as with the right hand, just happened on the fifth set this time.

Sledge levering, left and right, 3x15 rear lever and 3x15 protonation/supination rotation.

16/09/2017

Did some grip stuff after my normal work out.

HorneTop: 5x15-20 second at 22.5 kg. I managed to break 30kg from the floor, but missed it about 3 inches from lockout.

Half penny griptop: 4x10seconds at 5kg. First time trying this and it is a mean implement. I have not tried pinching something that narrow before, but my thumb was definitely sore afterwards.

The workout today was:

Deadlift: 6x3x95kg

OHP: 4x2x40kg

squat:4x2x65kg

Bench: 4x2x65kg (yes I know it is odd that my bench and squat are the same)

Pec flys: 2x20

side delt rases 2x15

rear delt raises 2x15

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few to log in for the past week.

19/09/2017

Grip work was done at the end of my powerlifting.

Horne top: 22.5kg holds for 20s 5 sets.

half a penny coin top: 5kg holds for 15 sec

Farmers walks, 30kg per hand for distance.

Sledge hammer levers: 3x15 both directions, both sides.

21/09/2017

Horne top: 22.5kg x25 sec x 1, 25kg x 15 sec x 3, 27.5kg x 10 x 2. Lifted 30kg to lock out, did not do a timed hold though.

2HP: 40kg, 3 sets, for 6, 8, 4 seconds.

Vision started to fade out on the top sets of the Horne top. I think i should have not been holding my breath for these, but that is how I know to brace.

This was also my first work out after starting to load creatine.

23/09/2017

RBA MMS: right hand, setting 8-9, 8 sets of 8. Left hand 8-8 6 sets of 8.

Horne top: 25kg x 4 x 15 sec.

finger curls: 20kg x 2 x25, 25kg x 2 x 25.

24/09/2017

Horne top for reps: 1x 3x 20kg, 1x 5x 25, 3x 5x 27.5.

Farmers walks for distance 2x 35kg per hand

26/09/2017

RBA MMS right hand: setting 9-9 6 sets of 7. Left hand setting 8-9 6 sets of 9.

• 1 month later...

5-Nov-2017

Wow, I have not posted in awhile. I have still been training, but just not logging it.

Instead of writing everything, I will just log the most recent lifts.

RB adjustable gripper, right hand setting 8-9, 6 sets of 10, left hand setting 8-8 5X8. I think I am going to start reducing volume on grippers in order to start a strength block for them.

Sledge hammer 4kg face lever, right hand 5x3, left hand 5x1. I think for the left hand I will hold a bit higher up on the handle so that I can get some more volume in.

For the 2.5" trilobite handle, 2hp block, and HorneTop I have been doing periodized holds, start at a weight I can hold for 30seconds, and increase weight every week until it is a 5 second hold, then drop down in weight and start over.

2.5" rolling handle, 30kg right hand, 5x10 seconds, left hand 5x 5seconds.

2hp 35kg, 5x10 seconds

Hornetop 30kg right 5x 8-10 seconds, left 5x5-8 seconds.

Deadlifts 6x3x115kg

Benchpress 4xsx70kg

squat 4x2x75kg

Overhead press 4x2x45kg

• 2 weeks later...

14-11-2017

I keep forgetting to post.

Grip stuff:

Transitioning grippers to a strength block, increasing intensity and reducing reps.

RBA right hand, 5x5 on the 9-9 setting, left hand 5x5 on the 8-9 setting.

2.5" trilobite handle 30kg for holds right: 5x10 seconds, left 5x7 seconds.

2HP 37.5 kg holds 5x10 seconds.

Add in powerlifting work, I thought I would give 5/3/1 a try for powerlifting, but at the same time I kinda just want to change over to the stuff from "the scientific principals of strength training" from the guys at RP and juggernaut.

• 1 month later...

I did not get to do much over the new year as I have been traveling, all I could bring with me was my grippers.

I have missed a lot of logs, so here is the most recent training session.

Warm up:

Trainer 2x10 left and right

CoC 1.5 2x5 Left and right

Work out:

CoC #2 1*6, 2x5, 2x3 all with hold till fail on the last rep, Right hand. I think I should have paced it a bit more here on the first few sets so that I could get more reps on the last few sets.

CoC #1.5, 2x10, 2 x15, 1x10 all with hold till fail on the last rep, Left hand. I did the same thing with the Right hand I think. I should have set a number of reps and just gone for that.

Personally I am happy as that is the most closes I have gotten with my #2 ever, last month I could close it fully about once per set.

Looking to be back in the gym to do full body and grip training later this week as soon as I get past my jet lag and get work things all sorted out.