2017 July - SJ4 (part 2) - Geralt

Geralt

Allright July 15th, judgement day.  Now, by the time I am writing this, a lot of time has passed already but everytime I wanted to sit down and write some more I missed the right inspiration.

It is hard to describe everything, since I met so freakin’ many people that day. Everyone I spoke with was very friendly, I got a friendly hug and the sense/vibe of the whole comp was that of a very big comradery that was going on. When I woke up that morning, Nate was already gone with Delmar. I decided the night before to stay a bit in the back, and just try to do my thing, since I also wanted to do, you know, some decent lifts and closes that day. In the kitchen Nate and Maureen already had set up some breakfast goodies to get the engine going, which again showed how much work these people have put in everything. Krista, my wife, drove me to the hotel, while the kids were still sleeping. They would be attending the competition later on in the morning when it all really began.

So, after arriving at the hotel, already people were coming in and this was the first time I talked to Jedd and Lucas. So there I was in that hotel room and Jedd, practically one of the first guys I saw doing grip around 2010 or so on the internet, and here was this man for real. Very cool. A friendly hug, talked shortly and I also felt he was already amping up a bit for the comp, so I didn’t want to take a lot of his time. After the competition we talked also for some time during lunch and there I felt how big sense of pride he takes in what he is doing and how serious he is in the sport of grip. There is more behind the brotherrrrrrr then meets the eye. Anyway, back to the competition focus. At one point you really have to focus a bit, thinking about the opening weights, concentrating a bit etc. Not the best time to catch up with people. I really needed to focus on actually trying to do some decent lifting. 

I noticed how not used to competitions I am. Now, like so many other people already wrote, it is so hard to mention everybody, since I talked to so many people. Like Anthony wrote, you know who you are, thanks so much for taking your time and chat a bit. You are awesome.

Then there was Gustav Bush who approached me. A 68 year old former armwrestler from the Canadian delegation. He talked with a very clear voice, very easy going and asked me where Krista was. So I never met this man before and there he was asking so friendly where my wife was, I was so amazed. Felt like ‘uncle Bush’ immediately. He mentioned he was from Europe also and that he had Estonian roots. We talked some more and later on he met Krista and my girls. I still have to write him an email since he has no social media, but this man was so friendly. Strong also! Later on he was sweating for dear life during the competition and afterwards he told me that the competition took a lot of his energy. But the way he lifted, that didn’t show. He is very strong. One of those guys you will never hear a lot from online, but a true pleasure to meet in real life. Gus = cool and I have the utmost respect for his positive attitude. Same for the other Canadian contestants. Good people. 

So at a certain point somewhere during the weigh-ins, I was standing in line and I turned around and there was this guy, who is in realilty much taller than I expect, Kody Burns! I know I am probably in a repetitive mode, but again this guy was very friendly. Soft voice, he was honored to meet me, as I was honored to meet him too. I know Kody is going to a rough period in his life now but that didn’t show at that moment. I got the feeling he felt some pressure though that day, as he is one of the top pinchers, and people expect big pinch stuff from him. But that is not always realistic, he has to work for his achievements also. Not that he didn’t lift well, he was right there with the top with every implement imo. Meaning to say if you read this, dude, hope you get everything going a bit again and then focus on the gripstuff. Kody wasn’t there after the comp, but his presence was very much appreciated by everyone and specially for Nathaniel.

CHEEEEZZZZZZ lol we finally met, haha Chez was trying to warm up but clearly was missing his squatcage so he brought his PPUS (Portable Push Up System) and shortly after the water was flowing. I mean wet. I had a lot of fun meeting you dude. You’re great. And wet.

Ok so in order to not make this story unreadable I need to step up the speed here lol.

Dan Fleming, we met also. Dan is chill, focused and easy going. Great gripman, very enthusiastic, feeling comfortable in doing his thing before a crowd. He didn’t feel on top of his game because of a slippery Flask, which most top guys experienced on their platform, but nonetheless he performed very well.

John McCarter and his wife, who I guided back to Nate’s house in their car, I mean what are the odds, seeing this man on the internet and then finding yourself in his car that day haha just unreal.
I was there when he kinda like ‘zombied’ in after a 17 hour drive, greeted everyone very friendly and just started closing 170 ish grippers like it was nothing. No warming up. And there I was massaging my lowerarm with the lacrosse ball lol I felt girly at that moment. 

Of course, shaking hands with Richard Sorin. What can I say. He’s a legend. Should have talked to the man more. But also guys like Shawn Kapusta, Adam Juncker and his wife, Tim Butler, Michael Rabich, oh man I am forgetting so many people here. Again, you know who you are. Enjoyed talking to every single one of you. 

It was amazing to see the guys certing the CTD challenge with the RT implements lifted like a bag of groceries and the Red Nail cert of Kevin. Very impressive. During the comp, I got this crazy irritating pump in my lowerarm. He saw this and he lent me his lacrosse ball which I could use to massage my arms a bit. Thnx brother.

I met so many more, Chris Rider, Chris Schoeck, and of course I mingled so much more with the guys I mentioned already in part one of this write up. Chris Schoeck send me, after we got back in the Netherland, signed photos for my girls and also bent two horseshoes for my girls and sent them over so that we didn’t have to take them with our luggage. Is that cool or what. That night I saw the crowd getting smaller and smaller till we were left with just a few people, Maria and Gil, the NY guys, our hosts of course, the two Matts and Moonshine. We had a lot of fun but at some point I just collapsed. So freakin tired of all impressions and all. Went upstairs and the lights went out.

How did I do during the comp? Not very great for myself, but also not bad. Gripperwise I really had to dig in and just couldn’t warm up the right way, like most guys probably. Got a 150lbs gripper but had to work for it, tried the 155, missed it by a hair, and already blew to much gas for getting the 153 which  I kept missing in the following 2 attempts by just that tiny fraction. Should have had that one. Oh well. 35kg Flask while I had hoped for 40 while I was training at home, ff-ed up one attempt and the 38kg slipped, argh.  Crusher 68kg I think, If I remember correct. So that was 4th of the 11 in my weightclass and 11th allometric of all contenders I believe. I probably could have neglected the last two implements more in my training, concentrate more on grippers and still could have gotten the same numbers on Flask and Crusher I think, in general my gripperstrength, till today, feels down. I need to focus on my goal again. I want it and I need to kick myself back to where I came from otherwise it will never be a done deal. Anyway, changing subject here. I had fun however! lol

The next day we had a great breakfast with the Brous family, and the NY guys. After we said goodbye to those last mentioned good people, it was also time for us to go to Washington and continue our journey. And I can say a lot of stuff here now but don’t want to get to emotional with all kinds of words and phrases. Nate, Maureen, Abby and Pops gave us such a great stay and they made memories for life for us. It was pretty emotional leaving them and it still feels that way. Thank you so, so much for making us feel so welcome. Marjolein my youngest is wearing Abby’s swimming necklace everyday, we love the presents and memories we got, and we cherish our memories and time together with this great family. Thank you.

• Like 11

Great part 2 - again I'm really glad you made it and that you had such a positive experience - gotta take those crazy trips while you can!