Sl-ghi Choi (Morgan) is in the Well!

Bill Piche

2 hours ago, Chez said:

so 4 singles/attempts with your goal gripper once a week is all you do for grippers? wow, that is the lowest volume I have ever heard of. 

I wish I can do more sets but my hand just cannot bare the extra work. 

I feel after 3rd set I am not training my grip strength but only damaging my hands.

I usually get the best record at the first three sets. 

Edited by Morgan

3 hours ago, Chez said:

so 4 singles/attempts with your goal gripper once a week is all you do for grippers? wow, that is the lowest volume I have ever heard of. 

I'm really fascinated by this as well. I can't see the equivalent training style ever working for any of the powerlifting movements, so there must either be something really unique about the way crushing strength can be increased, or morgan just has god-tier genetics which allow crazy gains off no volume. 

4 hours ago, Chez said:

It really flies in the face of some of the more popular programs that advocate high volume. Makes me wonder how much of our potential is just genetically predetermined. Morgan, do you ever use filed grippers? How about overcrushes and negatives? Personally I got injured doing a lot of negatives. Curious if you utilize the overcrush in your programming.

• Like 1

Just to let you know guys that I am not hiding any secret method and making up some ridiculous method. :) 

This is the actual program that I have been using it.

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Boulderbrew said:

It really flies in the face of some of the more popular programs that advocate high volume. Makes me wonder how much of our potential is just genetically predetermined. Morgan, do you ever use filed grippers? How about overcrushes and negatives? Personally I got injured doing a lot of negatives. Curious if you utilize the overcrush in your programming.

I have tried couple of times with filed grippers and every time I had some elbow pain after using it. I never tried overcrushes but I do not think my elbow will like that either. I had some serious injury at my fingers and wrist after doing negatives so I never do that again.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Morgan said:

For each set, I try to do 1 rep with my goal gripper. I don't do 5X5 or 3X3 program. So basically I do 1 rep with goal gripper X 4 sets

Thanks for answering my questions. So genetic it is. And as for this^ Wow this is Nathan Holle approach almost (he does 5 sets). And it seemed much better than all the reps we do and training techniques. Btw how do you warm up for these grip? After your usual bodybuilding training? Ever thought to AW? Also, You have the best available dyno (some send that link to oldtimer as he records it) number ever. Did you train for it or just got those numbers? 

Edited by Alawadhi

Are you doing any specific training for strengthening your set? Have you found any exercises that carry over to this or are the four attempts you do each workout enough for you?

When you're training with chokers, do you think there's a specific distance that is most beneficial to train? What range do you work in?

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Thanks for answering my questions. So genetic it is. And as for this^ Wow this is Nathan Holle approach almost (he does 5 sets). And it seemed much better than all the reps we do and training techniques. Btw how do you warm up for these grip? After your usual bodybuilding training? Ever thought to AW? Also, You have the best available dyno (some send that link to oldtimer as he records it) number ever. Did you train for it or just got those numbers? 

I massage my hands with warm-hot water for couple of min. That is my warm up. My wrist is not very good. Always had some wrist injury even before start training for grip so most probably I will not join  the AW. You also have the baseline 300 so you know how it feels. Baseline 300 handles does not move that much when you squeeze it, not like the spring dyno. So if you adjust handle then you can find a position that is similar to choked gripper position. People usually can close little higher gripper with choked gripper and I train most of my time with choked gripper. I think that helped me a lot for Baseline 300 dyno.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Are you doing any specific training for strengthening your set? Have you found any exercises that carry over to this with this or are the four attempts you do each workout enough for you?

When you're training with chokers, do you think there's a specific distance that is most beneficial to train? What range do you work in?

Sometimes I train thumb pinch with flask but not that often. I actually try to train with choked gripper most of the time so that I don't have to use my left index finger. In the past, I have tried doing DS with heavy grippers and I have got injury on my left hand index finger. After that I try not to use my left index finger that much. 

I usually start with 15mm gap and then try to increase the gap until 20mm. If I can close with 20mm gap then I move on to slightly higher RGC gripper. I do not know which gap is the most beneficial but I prefer training with 15mm gap because it gives less pressure to my pinky and I can put most force on the gripper.

Edited by Morgan
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Sometimes I train thumb pinch with flask but not that often. I actually try to train with choked gripper most of the time so that I don't have to use my left index finger. In the past, I have tried doing DS with heavy grippers and I have got injury on my left hand index finger. After that I try not to use my left index finger that much. 

I usually start with 15mm gap and then try to increase the gap until 20mm. If I can close with 20mm gap then I move on to slightly higher RGC gripper. I do not which gap is the most beneficial but I prefer training with 15mm gap because it gives less pressure to my pinky and I can put the most force on the gripper.

Ok, I think it's quite extraordinary that you can even set those grippers without training it that much!

The way I train my 2HP is very similar to this.

28 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I massage my hands with warm-hot water for couple of min. That is my warm up. My wrist is not very good. Always had some wrist injury even before start training for grip so most probably I will not join  the AW. You also have the baseline 300 so you know how it feels. Baseline 300 handles does not move that much when you squeeze it, not like the spring dyno. So if you adjust handle then you can find a position that is similar to choked gripper position. People usually can close little higher gripper with choked gripper and I train most of my time with choked gripper. I think that helped me a lot for Baseline 300 dyno.

Wow you don't even use easier gripper close for warm up. Amazing. I can't do that will get injured. Again thanks for the info

Btw, how do you feelbeing able to get higher numbers on the dyno than people like Thor (around 120 he got) and other like Brian Shaw and Eddie Hall (I can only assume they will get around Thor numbers)

Edited by Alawadhi

1 hour ago, Alawadhi said:

Wow you don't even use easier gripper close for warm up. Amazing. I can't do that will get injured. Again thanks for the info

Btw, how do you feelbeing able to get higher numbers on the dyno than people like Thor (around 120 he got) and other like Brian Shaw and Eddie Hall (I can only assume they will get around Thor numbers)

I don't know who Thor is. Can you post a video of him doing hand dyno?

What type of adjustable choked grippers do you use? 

How often do you train in general during the week, not just grip?

What recovery methods do you use? Any dex balls, contrast baths, extensor bands, etc?

2 hours ago, avasatu said:

What type of adjustable choked grippers do you use? 

How often do you train in general during the week, not just grip?

What recovery methods do you use? Any dex balls, contrast baths, extensor bands, etc?

I usually use RBA for choked gripper.

I do weight lifting 5 times a week.

I do warm-hot water hand massage, eat high collagen food, sauna sometimes and hot bath with cold water shower(similar to contrast bath). I never tried dex ball but I am interested in trying those.

Did you have to lower your volume to this level? In other words, did you do higher volume and lowered it over time?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Did you have to lower your volume to this level? In other words, did you do higher volume and lowered it over time?

At first I tried high volume with 5 min break between sets. I can see my grip strength is going down very fast after first set and I cannot train with the same gripper. So I decided to take 30 min break between sets and now I cannot do high volume because of the break time.

But the main reason I do low volume is because I do not want to injure my hands.

Edited by Morgan

On 8/17/2017 at 9:03 PM, Morgan said:

I don't know who Thor is. Can you post a video of him doing hand dyno?

He is hafthor bjornsson a professional strongman who is also in Games of Thrones as The Mountain AKA Gregor Clegane. He is around 420 pounds and 6'9". In 2014 he became the second WSM beating Brian Shaw. Again became second in 2016 (first was Brian Shaw this time) and finally this year in 2017 became second again beating Brian Shaw and behind Eddie Hall (He was complaining they didn't count one of his viking rep which would've placed him first spot). He did attempt Juha's Inch but for some weird reason he couldn't lift it. My theory, either he was extremely tired, or his hands were too wide to have a proper grip (it happens).

Dale Harder loves to test people on his Baseline Dyno. And he did test it on Thor. There is no video. But there are pictures of his try online on Facebook. When I asked Dale how much did he get he said it is in one of his book/magazines issue and it was around 120KG but didn't break the WR he saw of around 123KG. Pictures are attached
No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Korean student.

I am now just able to close 250 18reps for deepset.

and currently I have just5minutes rest  between gripwork.

(Iam not able to close 300 yet)

and I saw other answers you wrote, and you are recommending 30 minutes rest between sets, but I think it's too long and I think I don't need that much rest because my grippers that Iam currently using for my gripwork is not that heavy as yours, 

so I am wondering how much rest and which routine is proper to me.

21 hours ago, KOREAN GRIP MONSTER said:

I'm a Korean student.

I am now just able to close 250 18reps for deepset.

and currently I have just5minutes rest  between gripwork.

(Iam not able to close 300 yet)

and I saw other answers you wrote, and you are recommending 30 minutes rest between sets, but I think it's too long and I think I don't need that much rest because my grippers that Iam currently using for my gripwork is not that heavy as yours, 

so I am wondering how much rest and which routine is proper to me.

It's up to you. Say if you can recover 90% of the power from the first set after taking 10min rest then 10 min is enough for you. If not, rest more. 

Edited by Morgan

The well is now closed. Thanks to Morgan (Sl-ghi Choi) for answering all the questions.  Thanks to everyone who submitted questions!