Sl-ghi Choi (Morgan) is in the Well!

Bill Piche

Arguably now one of the best documented crushes in history (if not the best?).  I asked Morgan (is GB name) to drop into the well and answer your questions. Remember, questions will only be open for 7 days but he has a couple weeks to respond as well and try and answer your questions.  

• Like 5

What does your gripper training look like? What exercises other then grippers do you feel carry over most to grippers?

• Like 1

What is your current routine and how has it changed since you first started training. 

How do you avoid getting injured given your crushing at super human levels?

What is the biggest lesson you have learned so far?

Do you have any unique training concepts that have helped you progress to this super high level?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

What does your gripper training look like? What exercises other then grippers do you feel carry over most to grippers?

I train once a week.

I use grippers, FBBC pro dumbbell and weight plates for pinching.

My primary grip tool is grippers because of mm and coc certificate.

pro dumbbell and pinching plates are more like finishing exercise.

* training program

1. 20~30 min light cardio, shoulder press 4~6 sets, incline press 4~6 sets, 5 min break (I usually use suicide grip so I can save some grip strength. If you feel dangerous, you can just use the machine with suicide grip.) During this 5 min break time I usually massage my hand with warm to hot water. This is my warm up thing before grip work out.

2. Choose a gripper that I can almost close(less then 5mm left) and I try to close it. Do only 1 rep and that is 1 set.(I usually use choked gripper or do mms.)

This is not a negative work out so after trying to close it for couple of seconds, I just let it go no matter I close it or not.

If you have closed the gripper at this time, move on to the next gripper(RGC +5 lbs) at next set or next grip work out.

3. bench press 4~6 sets, decline press or cable fly 4~6 sets, 5 min break (this should take about 20~30 min)

(again, easy on the grip when doing weight lifting)

4. Repeat 2. 

5. Squat 4~6 sets,  leg curl 4~6 sets, 5 min break 

6. Repeat 2.

7. Leg extension 4~6 sets, triceps cable extension 4~6 sets, 5 min break 

8. Repeat 2.

9. triceps dumbbell extension 4~6 sets, some ab work out that does not use grip strength, 5 min break

10. finish set with either pro dumbbell or plate pinch.

* There are a lot of weight lifting between sets but the main idea is not becoming exhausted but keep your body warm and having enough rest time for your hand.

* I highly recommend doing warm-hot water hand massage. To me this is the best warm up before grip work out.

* I never over train and I usually finish within 4 sets. 

* I usually do my back, biceps work out right after 10. or at the next day. This way I can have 6~7 days of recovering period.

* During one week of recovering period I try my best to avoid any possible weight lifting that envolves grip strength. So, basically I can not do back, biceps work out until next grip work out. 

I used to do heavy deadlift and heavy pull down with out strap and I think that gave me a good starting point for grippers.

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Wannagrip said:

What is your current routine and how has it changed since you first started training. 

How do you avoid getting injured given your crushing at super human levels?

What is the biggest lesson you have learned so far?

Do you have any unique training concepts that have helped you progress to this super high level?

At first I trained two or three times a week but after I moving on to a heavier gripper I notice I need more recovering period.

At least 1 week of resting time, warm-hot water massage before grip work out and always try to combine with chest, triceps, leg work out.

Never over train. Rest well.

Warm-hot water hand massage before grip work out, 30 min rest between grip work out sets.

Edited by Morgan

1 minute ago, WestSlope said:

How do you work your adjustable gripper with the choker into your training? Do you use it more or less than torsion spring grippers?

What does your nutrition look like? Anything you think helps your strength?

I use more with adjustable choked gripper then torsion spring gripper.

The only reason is that because I can increase the weight little by little.

I used to do crazy diet plan for bodybuilding but not any more. I eat the same as other people.

Having enough sleep at the right time is very important to me.

• Like 1

How did you start grip training?  When did you realize you were genetically gifted in crush and might be able to go very high?

Have you ever thought about branching out to other feats?  Make a list of high level feats and see what you can do in pinching, blobs, thick bar, etc.?

Or, even competing in gripsport?

How about crushing Beer Cans ala Joe Kinney?  

14 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

How did you start grip training?  When did you realize you were genetically gifted in crush and might be able to go very high?

I wanted improve my grip strength for my deadlift and pull down.

My initial ultimate goal was to certifying on coc3 but I was able to achieve that in couple of months so I plan to do little more.

16 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Have you ever thought about branching out to other feats?  Make a list of high level feats and see what you can do in pinching, blobs, thick bar, etc.?

Or, even competing in gripsport?

How about crushing Beer Cans ala Joe Kinney?  

It is very difficult to do all at once so I will try my best to get 3.5 certificate first and then move on to thick bar or pinching.

If time allows I will join grip competition.

I will definitly try crushing beers.

Nothing specifically for extensors? No light weight / high volume forearm stuff like wrist roller?

25 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Nothing specifically for extensors? No light weight / high volume forearm stuff like wrist roller?

No I don't do those. I think building for arm muscle is not related to crushing grip strength.

• Like 1

Where are you going to go now that you are the first guy to close the 8?

boxers or briefs? 

Chicken or beef?

heads or tails?

Seriously. Congrats dude you found the recipe for success. You going to cert the coc 4?  

16 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Where are you going to go now that you are the first guy to close the 8?

boxers or briefs? 

Chicken or beef?

heads or tails?

Seriously. Congrats dude you found the recipe for success. You going to cert the coc 4?  

I will start preparing 3.5 certification and after that probably I will stop or do less grip work out and go back to bodybuilding.

Its hard to do both at the same time.

Edited by Morgan

Hi Morgan, great to have you here in the grip well.

I'm interested to know how you trained your arms before you got in to grip. I know you've been doing bodybuilding for many years. How did your training routine look like, for the forearms and also bicep/tricep etc?

• Like 2

What about the MM9?  Any thoughts on putting the MM ladder top out of reach for quite awhile?

• Like 2

What is your most preferred brand of gripper?

Which gripper level is your most favorable for your range of exercises? 

How do you care for / toughen your hands?

Have you suffered with tendinitis/inflammation from closing grippers? 

So not to have you repeat your workout method... but you do one set to your goal gripper? Do you ever do rep schemes like 5x5,3x3..etc? Or is it simply work up to a 1rm every week?

Do you have a background in any kind of physical labor - or does your strength pretty much come from training and genetics?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I'm interested to know how you trained your arms before you got in to grip. I know you've been doing bodybuilding for many years. How did your training routine look like, for the forearms and also bicep/tricep etc?

28 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Do you have a background in any kind of physical labor - or does your strength pretty much come from training and genetics?

This two. Because you already came into grip very strong. Lifted the Inch, closed a #3, I mean you were just strong. What was your background? Yes I know you were bodybuilding but hey most bodybuilders have average grip. Maybe close a CoC #1? But you were different. Maybe a genetic freak? This is possible like Wes Peart who was 16 repped a 3 almost closed a 4 and also Cancrusher at 19 closed a new #4 normal way and upside down. Maybe your deit too? Lots of deadlifts before? Any thickbar deads? Then again, maybe a genetic freak :P 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I never train my forearm seriously. My favorite arm work routine was superset of Bicep/Tricep. I will choose 2~3 bicep and tricep workout and do it together as superset.

Some of my favorite bicep/tricep workouts are dumbbell curl, hammer curl, short range dumbbell curl, tricep cable extension, dumbbell tricep extension, tricep push down, dips.

• Thanks 1

Hi, so from your workout description it sounds like you do 1 to 4 set of 1rm attempts. Is there any other assistance work you do for crushing grip?

9 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

What about the MM9?  Any thoughts on putting the MM ladder top out of reach for quite awhile?

I will try mm9 just to check how much I can do but I do not expect to close mm9.

7 hours ago, Sam Radford said:

What is your most preferred brand of gripper?

Which gripper level is your most favorable for your range of exercises? 

How do you care for / toughen your hands?

Have you suffered with tendinitis/inflammation from closing grippers? 

I really like the knurling of ghp gripper. It gives you the 'bite' so that I can efficiently put force to gripper and make handles stable in your hand. 

choked RBA(RGC215~220),  COC 3.5(RGC183, RGC188), COC4(RGC204) and GHP9(RGC206) These are the main grippers that I use for my right hand training.

I take 1 week recover period and try not to use any grip strength during this period. I often do warm~hot water hand massage.

In the beginning of my training I used to do severe negative 3 times a week and that gave me some tendinitis issue.

I rest for 3 weeks and I got better and I switch to my current training program. 

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jvance said:

So not to have you repeat your workout method... but you do one set to your goal gripper? Do you ever do rep schemes like 5x5,3x3..etc? Or is it simply work up to a 1rm every week?

For each set, I try to do 1 rep with my goal gripper. I don't do 5X5 or 3X3 program. So basically I do 1 rep with goal gripper X 4 sets

5 hours ago, climber511 said:

I am doing office work so my work is not related grip strength. However, I always did dead-lift without straps. I had a very good starting point because of my  genetic + bodybuilding back ground and I improve from there threw my current program.

4 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

This two. Because you already came into grip very strong. Lifted the Inch, closed a #3, I mean you were just strong. What was your background? Yes I know you were bodybuilding but hey most bodybuilders have average grip. Maybe close a CoC #1? But you were different. Maybe a genetic freak? This is possible like Wes Peart who was 16 repped a 3 almost closed a 4 and also Cancrusher at 19 closed a new #4 normal way and upside down. Maybe your deit too? Lots of deadlifts before? Any thickbar deads? Then again, maybe a genetic freak :P 

Nothing else to add to my background.  I was a normal student(little big at my age 190cm/100kg) start doing serious bodybuilding from freshman year of my college and that is it. I was not even that good at dead-lift. I think my best record was around 500 lbs. I start training  with thick bar after training with grippers for awhile but did not care about it. 

2 hours ago, terryt3o3 said:

Hi, so from your workout description it sounds like you do 1 to 4 set of 1rm attempts. Is there any other assistance work you do for crushing grip?

I do 1 set of fbbc pro dumbbell or plate pinch but not that serious. A lot of time I just skip these.

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

For each set, I try to do 1 rep with my goal gripper. I don't do 5X5 or 3X3 program. So basically I do 1 rep with goal gripper X 4 sets

so 4 singles/attempts with your goal gripper once a week is all you do for grippers? wow, that is the lowest volume I have ever heard of. 

• Like 1