GHP vs CoC

MurrayStrongman

This may have been asked before, if so, sorry. I couldn't find anything on google or skimming through older posts. Just learned about GHP grippers through joining Grip Board and I was wondering how they stacked up to CoC. I know that the MM0 cert is a CoC #3 or a GHP #7 so I'm guessing this means that the two are comparable. How do the GHP 8-10 stack up against the CoC 3.5 and 4?

If you don't already know you should learn about RGC, which is the method used in grip sport to calibrate grippers. You can find rating data on cannonpowerworks.com, he's rated thousands of grippers, so there you can see how many different brands stack up against each other in terms of resistance. Then there's other things that factors in how difficult a gripper is to close, two grippers with the exact same rating can feel very different.

It depends on the spread of the handles, type of knurling. thickness of the handles etc.

GHP and Tetting have sharper knurling than COC. GHP is usually harder through the whole ROM than COC and Tetting but this varies from gripper to gripper so it's not always true.

Some people think that GHP are harder because of the usually tougher sweep but some people think they are easier because they have sharper knurling, so they sit better in the hand.

Another good thing with GHP (except from the high quality) is that the edges of the handles have a slight bevel, so they are not as sharp on your hands like most other grippers are. This can make them a little bit harder to judge though, if it's a close call.

• Like 1

Ghp8-3.5 Ghp9-coc4, Ghp seem to vary more and from what i have seen and read the Ghp9 is harder than the 4. I have closed a few ghp8's and one 3.5. I think the Ghp's are stiffer threw the hole close but smooth.

I have a couple GHPs in Waterloo if you  ever want to make the drive down to train.  I have a 7 rated at 150, also have the MM at 152 and an MM2 at 164

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you don't already know you should learn about RGC, which is the method used in grip sport to calibrate grippers. You can find rating data on cannonpowerworks.com, he's rated thousands of grippers, so there you can see how many different brands stack up against each other in terms of resistance. Then there's other things that factors in how difficult a gripper is to close, two grippers with the exact same rating can feel very different.

It depends on the spread of the handles, type of knurling. thickness of the handles etc.

GHP and Tetting have sharper knurling than COC. GHP is usually harder through the whole ROM than COC and Tetting but this varies from gripper to gripper so it's not always true.

Some people think that GHP are harder because of the usually tougher sweep but some people think they are easier because they have sharper knurling, so they sit better in the hand.

Another good thing with GHP (except from the high quality) is that the edges of the handles have a slight bevel, so they are not as sharp on your hands like most other grippers are. This can make them a little bit harder to judge though, if it's a close call.

I meant to say that the edges are rounded off, so they are smoother. GHP grippers are really nice, as for the GHP challenge you can get on there easy if you want since COC cert are more difficult.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with either. 

1 hour ago, Justin Matney said:

Can't go wrong with either. 

Agreed. To me the biggest reason to get either is to fill the appropriate gap in your gripper progression. For example, good luck finding a 160s IM gripper. But GHP8s will go in the 160s. 

• Like 3

On 8/9/2017 at 7:23 PM, Cannon said:

Agreed. To me the biggest reason to get either is to fill the appropriate gap in your gripper progression. For example, good luck finding a 160s IM gripper. But GHP8s will go in the 160s. 

which is why I'm ordering a GHP 5 from you to help bridge the gap to close the CoC 2.5 since I'm so close. just trying to decide what else to order while I'm at it lol. LOVE Cannon power works 

• Like 2

Ghp5 may not be much harder than a coc2, look at the baraban spectrums around 120 rgc

I really like GHP's! For me the close on a GHP feels smoother than the coc's . The coc's seem to ramp up a bit more towards the end of the close.

• Like 1