Captains of Crush #3 Certification Video

MurrayStrongman

At the request/recommendation of @WestSlope here is the link to the video of my CoC #3 cert. Next goal is to cert on the #3.5. Thanks again to Mark Lacina (I'd tag you but I'm not sure what your handle is, sorry) for making the trip out and reffing and for telling me about Grip Board. 

• Like 11

Thanks @Cannon. Very excited for my 3.5 to come in and see how close I am and to get on the Mash Monster pyramid once I'm  eligible. 

• Like 1

Congrats dude. Destroyed. I'm also training for the 3.5 cert. good luck in your training 

• Thanks 1

That was straight beastmode. Well done to you sir!

• Thanks 1

Crazy easy.  You are now eligible after being certified by IronMind.   Here the total requirements for the MM ladder:

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Crazy easy.  You are now eligible after being certified by IronMind.   Here the total requirements for the MM ladder:

@WannagripJust to clarify on the "10 post" rule, is that 10 new threads or is that threads+replies?

11 hours ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

@Chez you as well. How long have you been training?

Too long. I started training July 2011 and certed the #3 back in April 2012 I believe. I was close to certing the #3.5 years ago (closing average 3.5s under cert conditions in training) but I got side tracked with other goals (steel bending, certing other grippers, grip competitions etc.) I have also had injuries which set me back. I'm just back to peak strength now after my most recent injury (bicep tear). Now that I am finally healthy, I'm pushing big time for the COC #3.5 and MM7 certs.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

Too long. I started training July 2011 and certed the #3 back in April 2012 I believe. I was close to certing the #3.5 years ago (closing average 3.5s under cert conditions in training) but I got side tracked with other goals (steel bending, certing other grippers, grip competitions etc.) I have also had injuries which set me back. I'm just back to peak strength now after my most recent injury (bicep tear). Now that I am finally healthy, I'm pushing big time for the COC #3.5 and MM7 certs.  

Well best of luck and good health! I'd certainly be interested in seeing a video when you do cert. I'd be interested to hear about your training methods as you've been at it much longer then me. 

15 minutes ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

Well best of luck and good health! I'd certainly be interested in seeing a video when you do cert. I'd be interested to hear about your training methods as you've been at it much longer then me. 

Thanks bud. 

This is my log that I have kept since 2 weeks into training: 

I also recently made a video detailing how I train grippers which is embedded in this topic as the 6th post by Westslope: 

Edited by Chez
  • Thanks 1

Duuuude you did it as if it didn't matter to you. WTF!? Very strong :rock 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on the cert you made it look too easy. Due to your Achilles injury are you able to do any pulling such as pinch lifts or thickbar lifts? I imagine your thickbar and pinch is pretty strong also with your strength background. Good luck with your goals and I hope to see you competing in grip you have some serious potential not many are able to cert the #3 that quickly and easily. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Congratulations on the cert you made it look too easy. Due to your Achilles injury are you able to do any pulling such as pinch lifts or thickbar lifts? I imagine your thickbar and pinch is pretty strong also with your strength background. Good luck with your goals and I hope to see you competing in grip you have some serious potential not many are able to cert the #3 that quickly and easily. 

I'm on the mend now. Able to do everything except for running and jumping. Keeping the weights a little lower on my squat and deadlift for now. As I was wirking on the 3 I was also working on CTD. I can hit 45-50 on the hub and 200-220 on RT fairly consistently. 

10 total. So, you have 12 which is fine. 

13 hours ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

@WannagripJust to clarify on the "10 post" rule, is that 10 new threads or is that threads+replies?

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats again dude, I reacted on FB already. Thumbs up! What did your training routine looked like, as in frequency and sets/reps? 

Thnx! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

Congrats again dude, I reacted on FB already. Thumbs up! What did your training routine looked like, as in frequency and sets/reps? 

Thnx! 

Thanks,

I typically train 6 days a week with the occasional deload week. The bulk of my training is 

(sets x reps)

Warm up:

#1x2x1

#2x2x1

#3x1x1

Working sets (3x through, rest 1-2 min in between closes):

#4 Negative 1x1

#2 Overcrush (10-15 sec) 1x1

#4 Negative 1x1

#2 Strap Hold (8-10 lbs, 10 sec hold) 1x1

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Basically low volume KTA, interesting!

Ya took many cues from KTA. Lowered the volume based on my abilities at the time and it seemed to work for me. The efficacy of the program seems to have run its corse though so I'm now looking at other options to train for the 3.5. Not sure if I'll simply add more volume or try to find a different program entirely. Right now I'm leaning towards a new program as I've been following this in different variations for over a year and I'd like to change it up. 

2 hours ago, MurrayStrongnan said:

Thanks,

I typically train 6 days a week with the occasional deload week. The bulk of my training is 

(sets x reps)

Warm up:

#1x2x1

#2x2x1

#3x1x1

Working sets (3x through, rest 1-2 min in between closes):

#4 Negative 1x1

#2 Overcrush (10-15 sec) 1x1

#4 Negative 1x1

#2 Strap Hold (8-10 lbs, 10 sec hold) 1x1

Thanks for taking time to explain. 
That is a pretty much balls to the wall approach for me ha! Specially with the #4 negative in it. I do like the pretty straight forward approach. 
What kind of sets do you do for the warm ups? I saw you didn't set the gripper that much for your certification, you just the pushed to handles a bit in place without squeezing it deeper down first, like most do. Do you do parallel sets for instance? Or just the width that feels easiest. 

Last question, what do you see as a negative? Asking this because they can be executed in many ways, like resisting opening and trying to fight it closed, which is different than just let it open in a controlled way for 2 seconds or so. 

Yeah...it can be hard to find a new approach when you are stalling. For ideas, Carlos Rivera Pagan, a very strong guy over here (not active atm) certed the 3.5 pretty easy and he trained with a gripmachine, as in plateloader. Maybe that can give you a complete different approach for gripper training? If you want I can give you his training approach for that. He also used grippers btw in that approach. 

Edited by Geralt