SJ4 Bending Contest

anwnate

11 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Thanks @Squeezus and @Donc101 - as Nate said, I did 1 piece of 5/16" followed by 7 pieces of 9/32" for the win - got the 8th piece of 9/32" down to about 2 1/2" inches but was timed out at 3 minutes - Before the comp started I was talking with @KRC and we were like yea lets just do as many 5/16s as we can but then @Andrew Dube went first and knocked out 6 pieces of 9/32" and I realized I'd have to do atleast 5 pieces of 5/16" to beat his 6 pieces of 9/32" and I thought damn I may not be able to do that haha - so then Kevin knocked out 2 or 3 pieces of 5/16" then switched down to 9/32" to run the clock out and I figured if I started with just 1 piece of 5/16" followed by 5 pieces of 9/32" I may be able to win on points - then on my go I remember getting to that 5th piece of 9/32" and screaming for time and there was still like 30 something seconds on the clock and I'm like AAAHH KEEP GOING! - So intense! Haha - then @acromegaman went last and his first bend wasn't quite 2" so he had to pick it up after his second piece and finish it, then his wraps came loose causing him more time and struggle, then he kept pounding through 9/32" and even grabbed up atleast 1 piece of 1/4" to just bend with practically open wraps til the clock ran out - at that time I added up Delmar's points for his bend and came to a total of 2910 - which beat me by 10 points! I was like NOOOOOOOOO haha - I even told a couple guys who asked me at that moment that he won by 10 points - but then Delmar, being the official judge, counted the totals and informed me that I had him marked for bending more 5/16" pieces than he actually did and some of them were in fact 9/32" which he switched to when his wraps came loose and that he forgot to call out the switch and I did not catch it - and his bent pieces were still laying on the floor for inspection since he went last - what an honest guy! Which meant I won - I was stunned! - and thats my account of the most intense action packed session of competitive timed steel bending I've ever encountered - cant wait for the next one! I also remember thinkin it was great that both Rich and Jose jumped into the comp at the last minute after they were saying they haven't bent forever and weren't gonna compete and ended up placing right in the meat of the pack - always worth giving it a try! Wish more guys woulda competed in fact - yea it was late in the night but everyone knows bending gets better after a belly of meat and beer right?

Thank you @Anton.Torrella My wraps both collapsed when I put that first bar back in and that was my screw up by only wrapping one bar diameter. Looking back I should have wrapped up an 11/32 to fall back on in case this happened even though I was positive that it wouldn't because it rarely does during training. I really hope to see more bending in contests because it brings the fun aspect (my opinion) of the sport out of hiding and for the public to see. Anton's pinch and bending is crazy!

• Like 2

I had an amazing time bending with everyone and I would be interested in another trip south for a bending contest!

• Like 3

IMG_2535.JPG

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

IMG_2535.JPG

Should be noted (again) that Delmar didn't bend the number of 5/16" shown.  He switched to lighter and Anton wasn't aware.

• Like 1

To Anyone that participated in the bending contest, PM me your address and I will be sending out free samples of the new bending material coming to the market soon by United Bending and strength supplies. In your message send the two free bar sizes (stainless) you would like to try. Any standard diameter, fraction or drill size is available. 

Big congrats to @Andrew P as he was the first to crush one. He hit a very tough stainless steel letter N (.302" diameter)

Also, huge props to @acromegaman on the first ever completion of the United Bending challenge bar. As I'm sure he will confirm, it is a deceptively hard 5/16" × 7" special alloy steel bar. Please send your address to collect your prize.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sapper88 said:

To Anyone that participated in the bending contest, PM me your address and I will be sending out free samples of the new bending material coming to the market soon by United Bending and strength supplies. In your message send the two free bar sizes (stainless) you would like to try. Any standard diameter, fraction or drill size is available. 

Big congrats to @Andrew P as he was the first to crush one. He hit a very tough stainless steel letter N (.302" diameter)

Also, huge props to @acromegaman on the first ever completion of the United Bending challenge bar. As I'm sure he will confirm, it is a deceptively hard 5/16" × 7" special alloy steel bar. Please send your address to collect your prize.

PM sent, I can't wait to try the bars. 

15 minutes ago, Sapper88 said:

@anwnate you are included in this.

• Like 1

I started a trip report and the first focus of my post was on the bending comp at SJ4.

it is a long read, but if you skim down to the bottom part you can see what I thought about for Bending Strategy for this contest...

• Like 2

Trying to piece together how the contest played out.  Its a little hard to jog the memory after only a week...
Also, I never met 1/2 of you guys before so:

Who was it who grabbed that 3/16" bar and did a fast barehanded bend at the end of their 3 min window?
If it was a successful bend, then it would have been Neil, or Shawn i think.
Or someone tried it but did not finish it in time.

Either way, that was a very cool moment.
Now that I think about it, the SJ$ Bending Contest was like a keg party in the back corner.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

Who was it who grabbed that 3/16" bar and did a fast barehanded bend at the end of their 3 min window?

the SJ$ Bending Contest was like a keg party in the back corner

Shawn.  That was a badass move.

And yeah I agree with the vibe.  Good times!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, KRC said:

Shawn.  That was a badass move.

And yeah I agree with the vibe.  Good times!

Thanks dude! 

I had more in the tank i think. The wraps messed me up. Should of did it all barehanded. Next time.:cool

• Like 3

@acromegaman your pinch is crazy! And yea @KRC @NealB @Sapper88 @Andrew Dube @Buccos1 @richcottrell lets get a date this bending comps going down, figure where and what we're doing, and move that keg party in the corner up to MA! Patriot bending - get sam adams to sponsor it and donate beer - and does everyone currently train DO, DU, reverse, long bars, and horseshoes? Cuz I don't haha

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

@acromegaman your pinch is crazy! And yea @KRC @NealB @Sapper88 @Andrew Dube @Buccos1 @richcottrell lets get a date this bending comps going down, figure where and what we're doing, and move that keg party in the corner up to MA! Patriot bending - get sam adams to sponsor it and donate beer - and does everyone currently train DO, DU, reverse, long bars, and horseshoes? Cuz I don't haha

Next year i plan to go for the red DU. 

"Doesnt train to melt steel"

but Melts steel anyways

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Haha, love it!  Info coming soon.  And you'll need to train more than those styles for the comp ;)

• Like 4

I wonder if an online bending comp would work? That would be great for someone that is not able to travel at the moment (me). Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

I wonder if an online bending comp would work? That would be great for someone that is not able to travel at the moment (me). Anyone have any ideas?

David has been doing it with the steel shredders. Dont see why we couldnt do something similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acromegaman said:

Maybe a competition bundle could be made available from FBBC or the New England guys as in x number of bars in specific sizes bent on video in 2 minutes. Most bars/fastest time wins.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

Maybe a competition bundle could be made available from FBBC or the New England guys as in x number of bars in specific sizes bent on video in 2 minutes. Most bars/fastest time wins.

I like this idea. Maybe this could be another cert for FBBC @Andrew P

• Like 1

I had a on-line bending contest drafted up but never got it off the drawing board with all the other things going down and I didn't have an answer for the amount of "Cert" video's that would be coming in to pull it off. Here it is if you want to use it for ideas or want to see it happen. 

Seriously if we get a way that I'm not watching a hundred bending video's in a month I'm game for helping put this together. 

HAHA date set to Jan 2016 gives you an idea how old this is. 

Short Bending Champs.docx

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

As someone new to bending, personally I like the group effort of a physical contest.  It is more exciting to be part of something and considering bending is a niche  within the niche of Grip it is nice to be able to meet people and share stories of steel.  

Maybe a multi market competition could be an option?  

• Like 3

I think it's a great idea with an online short steel bending contest, so that we here in europe can participate.

Carl and I would definitly jump in the contest and I also think of Juha, Zsolt, Mattia and some russian and english guys, so that can be a big contest.

A little suggestion could be: amrap bastards or red nails in IMP's or BB Wraps in 3 or 5  minutes!?

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Horrido said:

Carl and I would definitly jump in the contest and I also think of Juha, Zsolt, Mattia and some russian and english guys, so that can be a big contest.

What about having a community judge the events? I'm sorry but how did David Horne handle the steel shredder judging? 

Would there be any incentive to be dishonest?

We could be on the honor system For bar dimensions and wrapping, and have the video be "just the hits". A 2 inch bar(drop) could be supplied with the bars and used to demonstrate a full bend. The same selection of bars could be supplied to everyone, the stronger you are the faster you try to bend them all.

• Like 1

Clearly that SJ4 bending contest left us all feeling great.  And it sounds like many of us want to see another bending contest someday.  

Maybe we should  start a new topic.  This post was supposed to be about our SJ4 experience.  No offense meant by that, but maybe we can also cast a broader net   

• Like 1

To those interesting in the bending only contest, I'm cooking up something I think many will like as one option and will post about it soon.  

• Like 4