SJ4 Bending Contest

anwnate

SJ4 Bending Results  ( @acromegaman can let us know the exact bars bent per person)

1.     Anton Torrella       2,900 lbs

2.     Delmar Carter       2,160 lbs

3.     Andrew Dube        2,100 lbs

4.     Jose Cabrera        2,030 lbs

5.     Rich Cottrell          1,970 lbs

6.     Kevin Collen          1,850 lbs

7.     Shawn Kapusta     1,550 lbs

8.     Bill Lepage            1,400 lbs

9.     Neal Bakerlis         980 lbs

Rules

·         This will be a timed event using rated bars (by pounds).

·         The goal is to obtain the highest total poundage at the end of your 3 minute bending window.

·         All bends must be completed in a single set of Ironmind (IM) pads only. Bring your own IM pads or use the house IM pads.

·         The bender on deck will have an opportunity to grab up to 3 different diameter bars (1 each) to wrap before it is their turn to bend. No pre-wrapping more than one of the same diameter bar allowed.

·         The bender may use up to 2 extra sets of IM pads to pre-wrap different bar diameters before their 3 minute run starts (Please be ready when it is your turn).

·         Time will start when first bend is initiated. Time will not stop once started.

·         Only 1 failed attempt to complete a bar is allowed. The bender will then need to move on to another bar and set the failed attempt to the side and it will not be counted toward the total poundage. If a bender cannot complete a subsequent bar after a failure has been set aside, they must continue with that bar or return to the previously failed bar until either one of them has been bent or time is up.

·         DO, DU, Reverse acceptable, but all finished bends shall be 2” or less between stock ends to count.

·         No bracing. Hands and arms must not contact any part of the body below the waist. If this occurs, it is up to the judge’s discretion if the bend will be counted.

·         One rubber band per wrap at any one time allowed. A fresh band can replace damaged if needed, but time will not stop. Bands will be provided.

·         Highest total poundage wins class.

Special Notes

·         3 separate classes-Ladies (Open), Novice (9/32”and below) and (Open 5/16” and above).·         Limited quantity of bar stock sizes.

·         Prizes will be awarded to the 1st and 2nd place in each class.

@Buccos1

• Like 3

Delmar and Anton,

What bars made up the winning total?

22 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Delmar and Anton,

What bars made up the winning total?

Pretty sure that Anton bent... 

5/16" CRS @ 450 x 1, and 

9/32" CRS @ 350 x 7!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

Pretty sure that Anton bent... 

5/16" CRS @ 450 x 1, and 

9/32" CRS @ 350 x 7!

Great work Anton, you were trucking!

• Like 1

Delmar, what was your strategy for bars to go after?  Did most people try to do a lot of 9/32 or did some go for mainly bigger bars?

@Donc101 It seemed that only a couple guys wanted to stick with the biggest bars they could while most others seemed to bend a diameter just below what would gas them. That seemed to be the strategy to go with. Quantity over Quality.

• Like 3

Thanks @Squeezus and @Donc101 - as Nate said, I did 1 piece of 5/16" followed by 7 pieces of 9/32" for the win - got the 8th piece of 9/32" down to about 2 1/2" inches but was timed out at 3 minutes - Before the comp started I was talking with @KRC and we were like yea lets just do as many 5/16s as we can but then @Andrew Dube went first and knocked out 6 pieces of 9/32" and I realized I'd have to do atleast 5 pieces of 5/16" to beat his 6 pieces of 9/32" and I thought damn I may not be able to do that haha - so then Kevin knocked out 2 or 3 pieces of 5/16" then switched down to 9/32" to run the clock out and I figured if I started with just 1 piece of 5/16" followed by 5 pieces of 9/32" I may be able to win on points - then on my go I remember getting to that 5th piece of 9/32" and screaming for time and there was still like 30 something seconds on the clock and I'm like AAAHH KEEP GOING! - So intense! Haha - then @acromegaman went last and his first bend wasn't quite 2" so he had to pick it up after his second piece and finish it, then his wraps came loose causing him more time and struggle, then he kept pounding through 9/32" and even grabbed up atleast 1 piece of 1/4" to just bend with practically open wraps til the clock ran out - at that time I added up Delmar's points for his bend and came to a total of 2910 - which beat me by 10 points! I was like NOOOOOOOOO haha - I even told a couple guys who asked me at that moment that he won by 10 points - but then Delmar, being the official judge, counted the totals and informed me that I had him marked for bending more 5/16" pieces than he actually did and some of them were in fact 9/32" which he switched to when his wraps came loose and that he forgot to call out the switch and I did not catch it - and his bent pieces were still laying on the floor for inspection since he went last - what an honest guy! Which meant I won - I was stunned! - and thats my account of the most intense action packed session of competitive timed steel bending I've ever encountered - cant wait for the next one! I also remember thinkin it was great that both Rich and Jose jumped into the comp at the last minute after they were saying they haven't bent forever and weren't gonna compete and ended up placing right in the meat of the pack - always worth giving it a try! Wish more guys woulda competed in fact - yea it was late in the night but everyone knows bending gets better after a belly of meat and beer right?

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Thanks @Squeezus and @Donc101 - as Nate said, I did 1 piece of 5/16" followed by 7 pieces of 9/32" for the win - got the 8th piece of 9/32" down to about 2 1/2" inches but was timed out at 3 minutes - Before the comp started I was talking with @KRC and we were like yea lets just do as many 5/16s as we can but then @Andrew Dube went first and knocked out 6 pieces of 9/32" and I realized I'd have to do atleast 5 pieces of 5/16" to beat his 6 pieces of 9/32" and I thought damn I may not be able to do that haha - so then Kevin knocked out 2 or 3 pieces of 5/16" then switched down to 9/32" to run the clock out and I figured if I started with just 1 piece of 5/16" followed by 5 pieces of 9/32" I may be able to win on points - then on my go I remember getting to that 5th piece of 9/32" and screaming for time and there was still like 30 something seconds on the clock and I'm like AAAHH KEEP GOING! - So intense! Haha - then @acromegaman went last and his first bend wasn't quite 2" so he had to pick it up after his second piece and finish it, then his wraps came loose causing him more time and struggle, then he kept pounding through 9/32" and even grabbed up atleast 1 piece of 1/4" to just bend with practically open wraps til the clock ran out - at that time I added up Delmar's points for his bend and came to a total of 2910 - which beat me by 10 points! I was like NOOOOOOOOO haha - I even told a couple guys who asked me at that moment that he won by 10 points - but then Delmar, being the official judge, counted the totals and informed me that I had him marked for bending more 5/16" pieces than he actually did and some of them were in fact 9/32" which he switched to when his wraps came loose and that he forgot to call out the switch and I did not catch it - and his bent pieces were still laying on the floor for inspection since he went last - what an honest guy! Which meant I won - I was stunned! - and thats my account of the most intense action packed session of competitive timed steel bending I've ever encountered - cant wait for the next one! I also remember thinkin it was great that both Rich and Jose jumped into the comp at the last minute after they were saying they haven't bent forever and weren't gonna compete and ended up placing right in the meat of the pack - always worth giving it a try! Wish more guys woulda competed in fact - yea it was late in the night but everyone knows bending gets better after a belly of meat and beer right?

Hahaha awesome post man! Your intensity was palpable.  Makes me even more motivated to do a bending only or at least mainly bending comp here in Boston in the near future.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KRC said:

Hahaha awesome post man! Your intensity was palpable.  Makes me even more motivated to do a bending only or at least mainly bending comp here in Boston in the near future.  

I would love to see a bending only comp.  The Beast in the East looked epic.  

• Like 4

Anton - nice!!!  Thats a lot of steel in a very short period of time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KRC said:

Boston is not too far from Pittsburgh lol.  Id be very interested in a bending only comp!!  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

I would love to see a bending only comp.  The Beast in the East looked epic.  

It was!  Remember it like yesterday ... almost everything about it and it's already been 5 years.  :ohmy

We did DO, DU, reverse, longbar (hrs) and horseshoes.  If memory serves correct, DO and reverse were 6" and DU was 7".

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KRC said:

Let's make it happen man. We have the space out this way! 

• Like 3

I'm def in Kevin 

8 hours ago, KRC said:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Oh man, my heart was racing just reading this lol.

Congrats to @Anton.Torrella and @acromegaman!

• Like 3

I have a photo of the bending tally taken at the competition.  Unless there are "official" objections I can post it.

• Like 3