2017 July - SJ4 - John McCarter

John McCarter

Before I begin, I like to give a shout out to Nate for putting on an awesome contest and everyone else that was involved behind the scenes to make it happen.

Here are a few things to keep in mind while reading this write-up. I personally have not trained for anything for the past 3-4 months because of my job; guy broke his leg and I had to help him out (10-13 hour work days). I would lift when I had the chance but that was rare. I’ve been physically beat up with my back going out on my at anytime, knees giving in, both hands hurting, the drive up there took a toll on me big time.

(Before the contest)

On 7/14/2017, I felt like I was in a dream. I couldn't believe it was finally down to the wire and I would be heading to Jersey to compete in SJ4, only two problems popped up for me, my job and the drive from Missouri to Jersey (15 hours; 16 at most I figured with stops in between for gas and food). My boss gave me until 2pm and I flew through everything, (I push/pull/lift heavy cloths and carts at my job that equals close to 10,000lbs or more on any given day) and when the time hit out the door I went.

I wanted to leave by 3pm but got on the road at 4pm. I was hoping that I could get there by at least 8-9am so I could have time to mingle with people before the contest.

Now the fun began! On the road with my wife, we saw sights we would have never seen before. We joked like crazy with each other, I kept quoting stupid movie lines. We both became extremely tired but I had to push beyond that (holy crap, I am glad of caffeine and 5 hour energy shots; hate it but it’s what helped me make it though the night) and then around 12 or 1am it dawned on me about the freaking time difference between where I live verses Nate, so we were going to loose an hour (crap now it's looking like 9-10am I would get there; that's what I hoped for). Regardless, I would enjoy the sights along the way.

When I got the chance to text Nate I let him know I was going to be a little late and was sorry about it. Everything was going fine until we got even more late from a few food joints (45 minutes or longer), toll roads (20 minuet) traffic jam when we got to Jersey (about an hour and a half lost), it was seriously bumming me out that I wasn’t there on time. When the wife and I got past all the rush of cars and found the hotel, I was ready to start.

Walking into the hotel, I noticed where SJ4 was being held at. Walking in it was as if I were a ghost. No one noticed I had showed up yet. I think the Flask event was almost by the time Tina and I got there. I really can’t remember who I met first, maybe Delmar Carter or Chris Rider. Finally met Nate, he let me play catch up to everyone else. I was so freaking glad; truthfully, if I had to go through each event back to back I would. I was so out of it by the time we got there.

(Starting the Contest late at about 1:30-1:40pm, 20 hours after leaving Missouri)

It should be noted that I went into this cold with no warm up of any kind on anything. I pulled everything cold. I did attempt a weight on an Ironmind hub that I saw (I can only guess it was Nate’s). I only wanted to try it out because of that amount of chalk it was holding. I saw a nice size of weights stacked onto a loading pin and gave it a go. Up it went like a joke. Nate asked if I really just lifted that being cold, I said yes I did. Put the weight on a scale and saw it was 83 or 84lbs.

Grippers 

I didn’t care what I was going to do on grippers. I attempted a 150 (good), 160 (good), 170 (good), and finally a 180 (missed)

Flask

I started with 71 lbs (I think) (good), 81 lbs (good), 91 lbs (good), 101 (missed)

2.5 Crusher

This was going to be my first time ever touching this version of the crusher. 55kg (good), 66kg (good), when I went for 70k (good) I did something that no one was expecting, I was hungry and was given a banana from my wife, there is nothing special behind this, I was hungry and wanted to lift. I ate a banana while lifting the crusher in an official contest. 73kg (missed).

I met so many people I have wanted to personally see in person for a long time: Geralt, Nate, Anthony, Andrew, Richard Sorin (I was beyond grateful for getting the chance to see and attempt the 1st certified #3 ever and the Phantom 4) Kody Burns, and so many others. It was great having Geralt give me directions to Nate’s house. I could only stay for so long before I had to get some rest at last.

I was seriously beat for this contest, I don’t thing that I could pull it off again. I knew it was one that I could not miss and had to attend, no matter what happened. It took 20 hours to get there but it took 27 hours to get back to Missouri and head right into work as I got back.

Sorry if I didn’t mention names, I just can’t remember who I met.

• Like 12

Just now, Eric Roussin said:

You are one determined individual! Wow!

If I'm willing to do it I'll put myself through Hell to make it happen.

Great ape, glad you made it!

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with you John, I feel like I really missed out from what some of the other guys told me - I remember watching your first attempt on the crusher and thinkin "whats this guy doing warming up with us mortals" - also really impressed by your travel - awesome that you made it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with you John, I feel like I really missed out from what some of the other guys told me - I remember watching your first attempt on the crusher and thinkin "whats this guy doing warming up with us mortals" - also really impressed by your travel - awesome that you made it

It's cool man. I was a zombie by the time I was there. 

• Like 1

Shoulda gone for the brains instead of the banana to power up

Just now, Anton.Torrella said:

Shoulda gone for the brains instead of the banana to power up

Dude, I hope someone got that on video! For real, I'm going to laugh every time I think about that.

• Like 1

Ha yea I'm sure rich and his buddy got it - theyre good like that

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Ha yea I'm sure rich and his buddy got it - theyre good like that

I do not know if Mike did, but I only got half of it.   It was funny as a few min before that moment, I pushed you and the banana out of the way so I could get up the step ladder for a wide shot.   When you walked up with that banana to the platform I did not think you were lifting so I was not recording, I hit record when I realized you were doing the lift with the banana.  I am just not sure how much of the lift I got on tape.

with three platforms it was chaotic... and fun...

but also extra hard to "get it all" ... which I always told Nate I would NOT be able to do.

• Like 2

Weird that you'd think a competitor wouldn't be lifting just because they were holding a banana - have you ever been to a grip comp before?

• Like 1

Impressive resolve!  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Impressive resolve!  

Thanks!

Great to meet you finally!  You sir...are brutally strong.  Watching you casually lift 83lbs on the Hub while walking by it was ridiculous...not to mention your total chalkless cold performance on grippers.  Nuts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

Great to meet you finally!  You sir...are brutally strong.  Watching you casually lift 83lbs on the Hub while walking by it was ridiculous...not to mention your total chalkless cold performance on grippers.  Nuts!

It was awesome to meet you too man! My only regret is not coming right back after getting the hotel room with my wife and meeting everyone.

• 9 months later...
On 7/18/2017 at 5:22 PM, John McCarter said:

I met so many people I have wanted to personally see in person for a long time: Geralt, Nate, Anthony, Andrew, Richard Sorin (I was beyond grateful for getting the chance to see and attempt the 1st certified #3 ever and the Phantom 4) Kody Burns, and so many others. 

John, here it is, 10 months later, but I never saw this little bit buried in your writeup. 

I am really curious what that first Number 3 gripper felt like, as well as the Phantom 4. Difficulty, spread, handle thickness, knurling, etc. My speculation is that the handle spread was"wide", knurling was below average by today's standard, handle thickness similar to today's, and the 3 was maybe 3.2 plus, and the Phantom 4 was 3.5 or 3.6. You might be the only person I know who would notice all those details...

19 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

John, here it is, 10 months later, but I never saw this little bit buried in your writeup. 

I am really curious what that first Number 3 gripper felt like, as well as the Phantom 4. Difficulty, spread, handle thickness, knurling, etc. My speculation is that the handle spread was"wide", knurling was below average by today's standard, handle thickness similar to today's, and the 3 was maybe 3.2 plus, and the Phantom 4 was 3.5 or 3.6. You might be the only person I know who would notice all those details...

The major differences in today's versions, Ironmind grippers are lighter in weight just holding them in your hand because of them not being made of steel anymore, sharper handles, the spread isn't over 3 inches (if you find one with a spread that wide, use it).

The 3 is around a 3.5 or slightly above in terms of strength maybe 175-180 lbs if rated. The Phantom 4 is right under a modern Coc 4, if rated under modern methods might come in at 203-207 lbs. Both have a huge spread on them, way bigger than today's grippers. The handles are still the same size but are more slippery because the knurling has worn down over the years. Plus, both weighted a lot for a hand gripper since the handles are made of steel, which puts a completely different feel in motion when going for the close (if there was a way to increase the weight of a hand gripper to weight 3 or 5 lbs heavier to the handles, just think of the differences that would create in the process of closing a gripper, it changes the feel instantly).

• Like 1