Rock it to Nashville!

Cannon

I have started and abandoned many training logs in my time at the GripBoard.  It's hard to say why they fizzle out.  For this training log, I want to put a good 6 months' push together for the first grip contest I hope to attend in quite a few years.  The 2018 Southern Squeeze in Mashville!  Contest is in January.   

Right now it looks like the events are 20mm block set grippers, one-hand Flask and 2.5" Crusher (or similar revolving handle to be determined).  I will be solidly in the 74kg class with no real hope of getting down to 66kg.  (It's REALLY hard for me to weigh 145lbs.)  I will be under 163lbs for sure and typically weigh about 158lbs. 

Here are my goals for the contest:

• Grippers 150# (with a stretch goal to break Milfeld's class record of 156 if possible)
  • One-hand Flask, 85#
  • 2.5" revolving handle, 140#

The really tough one for me is going to be revolving handle.  I SUUUUUCK at revolving handle lifts.  I think my all-time PR on Rolling Thunder is 140 and a 2.5" solid handle should be harder.  Might need some advice training for that.  I'm only going to post grip workouts and hopefully progress vids on the events, but will be doing other supporting strength training as well.  Here we go!   

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I have started and abandoned many training logs in my time at the GripBoard.  It's hard to say why they fizzle out.  For this training log, I want to put a good 6 months' push together for the first grip contest I hope to attend in quite a few years.  The 2018 Southern Squeeze in Mashville!  Contest is in January.   

Right now it looks like the events are 20mm block set grippers, one-hand Flask and 2.5" Crusher (or similar revolving handle to be determined).  I will be solidly in the 74kg class with no real hope of getting down to 66kg.  (It's REALLY hard for me to weigh 145lbs.)  I will be under 163lbs for sure and typically weigh about 158lbs. 

• Grippers 150# (with a stretch goal to break Milfeld's class record of 156 if possible)
  • One-hand Flask, 85#

The really tough one for me is going to be revolving handle.  I SUUUUUCK at revolving handle lifts.  I think my all-time PR on Rolling Thunder is 140 and a 2.5" solid handle should be harder.  Might need some advice training for that.  I'm only going to post grip workouts and hopefully progress vids on the events, but will be doing other supporting strength training as well.  Here we go!   

All of this is so exciting to me !  I have been able to put about 10lbs on my revolving handle this past year ... last cycle I trained all my workouts exactly as contest would play out - grippers first, then flask, then handle. I did a light med heavy day of handle - the light days I did holds at the end for about 10-15 seconds. I also trained very narrow pinch and it brought my flask up about 6lbs. Maybe not super impressive but relative to where I came from I am very happy with my steady progress. 

• Like 4

Really cool that you are starting a log again Matt. I'll be following your progress

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MCrushetta said:

All of this is so exciting to me !  I have been able to put about 10lbs on my revolving handle this past year ... last cycle I trained all my workouts exactly as contest would play out - grippers first, then flask, then handle. I did a light med heavy day of handle - the light days I did holds at the end for about 10-15 seconds. I also trained very narrow pinch and it brought my flask up about 6lbs. Maybe not super impressive but relative to where I came from I am very happy with my steady progress. 

Holds are a good idea.  The last time I trained Rolling Thunder (like 10 years ago!) I got myself in bicep trouble with heavy rep stuff.  Like sets of 6-8 with as high a percentage of max as possible.  I probably won't go down that road again.  Mostly, I have no idea how to train thick bar.   

• Like 1

All 20mm width except the last set. 

• Hg150 wup
  • #1 x 10, 10
  • #1.5 x 10, 10
  • #2 x 6, 8
  • #1 x 50 "clicks"

Just getting in some reps to rip the band aid off.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

Holds are a good idea.  The last time I trained Rolling Thunder (like 10 years ago!) I got myself in bicep trouble with heavy rep stuff.  Like sets of 6-8 with as high a percentage of max as possible.  I probably won't go down that road again.  Mostly, I have no idea how to train thick bar.   

Holds worked well for me - On my heaviest week of the 12 weeks I did 4 x 3 reps with about 85-90 percent. And that was pretty high. 

• Like 1

How i boosted my RH and flask numbers is simply linear progression. 60-65% of goal max i do 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps. 70-80% its 6x2 and 85-90% its 3x1. 

Grippers i just rep it out 1 time a week. Literally dont mess with grippers but once a week.  My goal is 170+ so i take 60-65% of that and just do 3 sets of reps with 3-4 minutes rest. Seems to work for me. @MCrushetta introduced me to that style i just rest more, because im battered already. Good luck on your goals dude, hope to meet you at SS18!!!

• Like 2

Flask

• 30#, swings, warm up
  • 55#, 5 singles
  • 55#, 5 sec holds x 5 
  • 30#, swings x lots switching hands until cooked
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 9:29 PM, Cannon said:

Flask

• 30#, swings, warm up
  • 55#, 5 singles
  • 55#, 5 sec holds x 5 
  • 30#, swings x lots switching hands until cooked

I probably should have logged it but after the swings I did a straight 4m 30s of one-handed holds with 30#. Just switching hands as necessary. My hands are still sore today. I might deadlift a bunch today and do some RT tomorrow. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2017 at 7:41 PM, Cannon said:

All 20mm width except the last set. 

• Hg150 wup
  • #1 x 10, 10
  • #1.5 x 10, 10
  • #2 x 6, 8
  • #1 x 50 "clicks".  

You are The King of Gripper Ratings so what are these Grippers rated at?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, Cannon said:

• One-hand Flask, 85#

Those are great goals and it's good to see you back to keeping a training log with some goals in mind! 

What are your current baselines on the 3 events? 

I love that your gripper goal is close to your bodyweight:cool

• Like 1

@richcottrell Haha, no idea actually. For my own grippers I tend to only rate goal grippers. :blush

@bencrush Baseline on the lifts is probably 140 gripper, 75-ish Flask and revolving handle no idea but crappy. I'd be happy to lift 120 on a RT right now. The gripper especially should bounce up quick.

• Like 1

120 wasn't actuall THAT bad

deadlifts, conv

• 135, 5x5

Rolling Thunder

• 45#, wup
  • 120#, 5x 3 singles. Reset most reps but not all. 

Blob finisher.

• 35# fatman
  • 5 x 5 sec holds

Deads and RT were alternating sets. 

This was essentially a beat down. 

20mm reps

• HG150 wup
  • #1 x10
  • #1.5 x8, 8
  • #2 x7, 8, 6

cooked. 

Flask

• 50# singles wup
  • 60 x2
  • 70 x1
  • 75 x1 (left only, ok height)
  • 60 x2, 2, 2
  • 50 x 10 sec hold x3

Got interrupted by a birthday party. :) hope to do more pinching later with the Delmar stub that just arrived that I didn't know was coming!!!

• Like 2

Grippers

• Hybrid Beginner wup
  • hybrid Master x5
  • hybrid SM x4
  • Thor SM 130 x1
  • GHP 7, miss

pressed for time but was rating grippers and wanted to close some. :)

MMS gripper

• HG150 wup 
  • #1 x17
  • #2 x10, 10, 11, 11
  • #1 x70 audible clicks

Pretty torched. Workout on my commute. 

I can feel grippers gathering momentum. I have not unloaded on anything heavy yet because I've had knuckle trouble in the recent past. Things feel well-oiled right now. 

MMS grippers

• HG150 wup
  • #1 x10
  • #1.5 x12
  • #2 x14, 13, 11, 10 (overcrush last rep on last 2 sets)
  • #1 x80 audible clicks (aka micro reps)

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 8:54 PM, Cannon said:

MMS gripper

• HG150 wup 
  • #1 x17
  • #2 x10, 10, 11, 11
  • #1 x70 audible clicks

Pretty torched. Workout on my commute. 

Nice. i love commute grip workouts. i spend a lot of time in the car soat least half of my grip work is in a car. i enjoy reading your log and hope to meet you in nashville

Flask

• 40# x10 wup
  • 65# x2 singles
  • 70# x1 felt easy
  • 77.5# x1, miss
  • 77.5# x1, got it!
  • 65# x10, reps however I could get them
  • 50# x50, reps broken up however

@Squeezus It was hard to make CPW tags after this workout. :pinch  I couldn't steady my hand well. I feel like the Flask allows a special amount of volume.  <<

• Haha 1