2017 July - SJ4 - Anthony C.

Anthony C.

I'm not really great with putting thoughts into written words, so I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet.

The beginning: I drove to Jersey from NYC with @Anton.Torrella @Jose Cabrera and Mike Philips. If you're going to have a car full of people, these are the guys you want. What a blast.

The contest: The venue was extremely close to Nate's house and the fact that it was in the events room of a hotel added a lot of convenience for the competitors. You could really tell that every detail was planned out meticulously over the course of the year. The people were great. I'm not even going to bother naming names because everyone was awesome and I would just end up leaving someone out here. But I will say that there was never a moment where I wanted to punch someone in the face, and that is extremely rare. The "Pick Up Artists" were in the house and had custom polo shirts and that was awesome. The NY guys and myself were discussing that we should have our own name and I suggested "Tri-State Trash." We'll see how it goes.

I also loved the events of the contest. The 30 mm block set was a nice change of pace and surprised the competitors that did not practice on it. I personally think this or 1 inch block set are the ideal widths for closing grippers. Flask and crusher are also crowd pleasers and made for quick turnover with this many people competing. I personally did pretty bad at this contest....I had been training so hard for it that I actually gave myself bad tendonitis and ended up worse than if I had done no training at all. Oh well, live and learn. Got me some dexterity balls.

I think some of the other guys really hit the finer details well in their trip reports so I'll just say this - I have to give a huge thank you to everyone involved. Nate, Maureen, Abby and Pop, hell even the family dog who sacrificed a day at home for the contest, thank you. The Hulshofs. Best Western hotel. All the sponsors, big or small. All the volunteers - you know who you are. The judges. Anton for getting beer and whiskey. @richcottrell - People, Rich took himself out of the competition so that he could record for us all day. He is a good man.

If you were involved, thank you. I don't think this day will ever be forgotten by any who were in attendance!

• Like 10

Well put fellow tri-state trashian - definitely a day for the history books

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Well put fellow tri-state trashian - definitely a day for the history books

Lmaoooo!

This was definitely a weekend I'll be telling my kids about! Southern sqeeze road trip!!

• Like 4

You guys better make a few extra shirts when you decide on a name in case somebody wants to buy one...

• Like 3

Thanks man.  Super glad you stayed for the after-festivities and then breakfast.  Gotta say, I miss the NY crew. 

• Like 3