Best Lifter vs Overall? Discuss.

Squeezus

12 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

It wouldn't take a few years.  If Brian Shaw showed up at a grip contest with 6 weeks of training he would win every event by a wide margin.  

We found this out in the horseshoe world.  Many people trained and toiled for years to become what everyone would agree was world class at the time.  Jason Bergmann (two time WSM finalist) bought Jedd's and my Hammering Horseshoes dvd and in 3 months had bent shoes none of us could ever bend no matter how hard we worked.

Moral of the story: compete against yourself.  There's always someone bigger and stronger out there.

This and look how many of the strongmen outlifts smaller people (Yes me being one of them) and breaking WR's. Rich William for example certed on the CoC 33.5 first time doing grippers if I rememeber correctly.

https://youtu.be/nFc9RypaIu0

https://youtu.be/OdFjlrf6HCY

https://youtu.be/NVQ6OQHU6K8

https://youtu.be/OdFjlrf6HCY

https://youtu.be/WNqNAVmmK88

https://youtu.be/T77m-jssHU8

https://youtu.be/nFc9RypaIu0

https://youtu.be/GFHasmhtVIE

https://youtu.be/yaq8GFO-NYY

See there are tons of strong bigger people. To be fair to all then have weight classes and then let those winners of each class compete with each other.

• Like 1

To be fair to all then have weight classes and then let those winners of each class compete with each other.

I don't really understand the point of this, however.  Maybe it's because I'm one of the "small guys".  I would rather just compete all-in at a regular contest. 

Let's say I shattered the 74kg class axle record.  Maybe I pulled 2.5x my bodyweight and posted a very Elite 175kg.  That would beat Eric Milfeld's current record by 20kg and never mind that he is already 15kg over the second place athlete in that class.  I would be doubtless without peers in my class.  However, especially in a contest of "winners".... and maybe even a regular contest.... My 175kg Herculean lift is not even competitive.  Starting right away in the 93kg class and going up from there, the lifts are easily 180+kg.   

Let me be clear that I'm not having sour grapes.  Just expressing a preference that I really like weight classes and I really think they matter.  They are great for records tracking.  But also I would really just prefer to compete all-in at regular contest where the promoter has split up competition as they see fit.  As in my prior story about winning an overall, you never know what can happen and that's why we actually hold the contest.  If a formula is used to determine "best lifter" I would rather that was a maybe a prize package to earn or something.  Not the way placings are chosen.  Again, totally just my preference.  I would support any promoter in what they wanted to do because I will attend or not based on my own preferences anyway, and also I'm always very thankful when anyone takes on the challenge of hosting a contest.       

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I don't really understand the point of this, however.  Maybe it's because I'm one of the "small guys".  I would rather just compete all-in at a regular contest.      

That is if they want to compete fairly with bigger men instead of this scoring system. I already said I like the single elimination matches/in grip the strongest wins.

It wouldn't hurt to put at least one event into a contest that puts the smaller guys at an advantage - hangs or chins on a small edge etc - there are several events where we can listen to the big guys cry foul and whine for a change :)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, climber511 said:

It wouldn't hurt to put at least one event into a contest that puts the smaller guys at an advantage - hangs or chins on a small edge etc - there are several events where we can listen to the big guys cry foul and whine for a change :)

1 arm hangs from a tip tester while holding a blob in the other hand

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

1 arm hangs from a tip tester while holding a blob in the other hand

🖕🏻 

• Like 1

I take back every nice thing I ever said about you Chris.  :tongue

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

I've also proposed the unpopular idea of a gripstacle course.  Like a medley only there are stations.  So it would be best time wins or if nobody finished then who did the most obstacles.  Like lift some blobs, run 50 yards to the next station.  Climb a rope, run 50 yards to the next station.   Etc.....   :D   As far as I can tell, I'm the only person interested in that kind of misery.    

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I take back every nice thing I ever said about you Chris.  :tongue

LOL  I can hear those 280# guys with their 8+ inch hands crying already :)

Edited by climber511

4 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Hangs from middle finger only. Great suggestion @KapMan.

Ill hang using two 🖕🏻🖕🏻

42 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I think we can all agree there needs to be more beer at contests.

Here here

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I think we can all agree there needs to be more beer at contests.

Totally agree

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob McMurren said:

Just gonna throw this out there.  @Squeezus

You're on. :rock

P.S. The pint glass looks like a winner. May have to pour my Pißßwasser into one when I give this a try.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

You're on. :rock

P.S. The pint glass looks like a winner. May have to pour my Pißßwasser into one when I give this a try.

I await the "how to train for drinking and hubbing" video.  And the sequel on "how to not overgrip your beer after training grippers" - Many training possibilities here.

• Like 3

Hub and chug is excellent - also its heavy event cousin, FBBC bomb and car bomb

• Like 2

I'd love to see a pullup based event: tips tester, v bar, anvil trainer, whatever. Would fit well in a medley (single rep) or as an event for reps if weight classes are being used with a tie going to the heavier competitor. 

• Like 2

Guiness is terrible. Like cigar lounge ashtray but in liquid form.

I can only do 4 pullups at 305lbs. Not something that appeals to me as an event that has guys doing 20+. I get my ass kicked in the regular events enough as it is. 

But whatever. Since losing is my shtick, why not make eaiser to lose👍🏻 

Edited by KapMan

8 hours ago, KapMan said:

Guiness is terrible. Like cigar lounge ashtray but in liquid form.

I can only do 4 pullups at 305lbs. Not something that appeals to me as an event that has guys doing 20+. I get my ass kicked in the regular events enough as it is. 

But whatever. Since losing is my shtick, why not make eaiser to lose👍🏻 

I disagree, youde woop me in a pullup contest, i sure as hell cant do a pullup with a 140 lbs attached to me. Let alone on a fatbar or somethin ;)

22 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:

I'd love to see a pullup based event: tips tester, v bar, anvil trainer, whatever. Would fit well in a medley (single rep) or as an event for reps if weight classes are being used with a tie going to the heavier competitor. 

The Gripmas Medley had a 2 1/2" pinch pullup - a double 1/2" v-bar pullup - a 3/4" ledge pullup - and a campus rung pullup for height in it last year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The Gripmas Medley had a 2 1/2" pinch pullup - a double 1/2" v-bar pullup - a 3/4" ledge pullup - and a campus rung pullup for height in it last year.

Very cool! What was the format like? Max reps, weight classes, tie breaker? Any grumbling from the bigger competitors or was in generally well liked?

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

Very cool! What was the format like? Max reps, weight classes, tie breaker? Any grumbling from the bigger competitors or was in generally well liked?

It was not a main event - just a few items in a large Medley.  If the big guys complained it was not to me directly.  Actually the big guys did pretty well on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

It was not a main event - just a few items in a large Medley.  If the big guys complained it was not to me directly.  Actually the big guys did pretty well on them.

Sounds like fun, I'll have to make it out to one of your events!