2017 July - SJ4 - Rob McMurren

Rob McMurren

SJ4 Trip Report

I went to SJ4 with no expectations.  This was at the end of my 2 week vacation, which I spent a great deal of time drinking beers, riding the three wheeler, swimming and training my new pup.   My only expectation was to have a good time and meet some more people in the grip world.  

The Venue

The venue was perfect for me.  Having the comp at the hotel was convenient.  I’m used to getting up early or driving through the night to compete.  Getting a good night’s sleep before was  great.  Being able to run up to the room between events was an added bonus.

Grippers

I took my grippers on vacation.  THey never left the car.   I really don’t like training them.   I hadn’t closed a gripper in a month and it showed.  I opened at 138, which I should get in my sleep and missed badly.  At this point I contemplated going back to the room and start drinking all day.  I dropped down to 126 and got it.  Went up to 144 for a narrow miss and then missed badly on my fourth at 144.  At least I got one in.  In hindsight, I didn’t warm up enough, and really wasn’t prepared to close grippers.  

Flask  

I really didn’t know where I stood with the flask.  I had not pulled over 80 lbs in practice.  Our flask always feels slick to me.  During the warmups, I talked to Richard Sorin about it.  His advice was no chalk.    I hit 81 in warm ups without chalk .  Maybe Richard knows what he’s talking about.  

Still fearing bombing out, I opened at 34 kg.  I had intended on opening at 32, but went to 34 so I could be on the same platform as Lucas Raymond, we were on the same page with regards to the chalk.    I hit 34, 40 and 43 without an issue.  45 seemed to be the sticking point for everybody on the platform three.  I got 45 to the bar but slipped out on the way down.  It was nice to be in the same ballpark  with some of the top pinch guys in the room.

Crusher

Warming up, the crusher felt heavy.  I had pulled 170 or so in training, but 160 felt off in warmups.    I opened light (can’t even remember what the weight was).  I got all my attempts and finished with a 78 kg lift.  I should of opened heavier, and had one more chance to get 80 kg , but I still had a solid lift.  

Other than grippers I was extremely happy with my flask and crusher.  I made 7 of 8 lifts in those two events and I was third in the 120 class. (i think)

Dinner

After we went to Nate’s house for some BBQ and Medley.  Nate’s wife prepared a great meal.  I don’t think anybody left hungry.  It was great to sit around and talk with everybody there.  All  of the grip contests I have attended in the past I had to leave immediately after.  

Medley and Carnage

Nate’s gym is amazing.  Every grip implement is there.  I got to try several items I do not have access to, like the Inch and fatman blob, which I had several misses on.  

I did the heavy side of the medley.  I started off real well, until I hit the blob50s which stoned me.  I don’t know where I placed but it was fun.

My favourite part was the carnage afterwards.  I like beer and I like to pick up heavy things and rip phone books and bend steel, so Nate’s basement was like an amusement park for me.  I tore some books, bent some steel and tried countless strength implements.  Andrew Dube brought a loadable blob and a ball bearing lift, which Jedd won on the blob and Gil won on the ball bearing.  My index finger hates me for the ball bearing lifts.

I really enjoyed the post contest atmosphere.  It was great hanging out with everybody and just continually trying stupid shit even though my hands were fried.  

If I didn’t have a 9 hour drive in the morning, I would of stayed longer.

Thanks to Nate and his  wonderful family for opening their home to us and treating us so well.  I have met so many great people since entering this sport, SJ4 just raised the number a lot higher. Thanks again Nate.  If you want to adopt a Canadian, I'm in.

Rob McMurren

• Like 14

Great report man.  I wish we got to spend more time together.  I didn't know whether I was coming or going throughout the day.

Thank you so much for coming down to the US for a contest.  If all Canadians are like you guys...I may just have to move North!

• Like 1

I really enjoyed chatting with you Rob. I hope to see you and the rest of the Canadian crew at North American nationals next year. 

• Like 1