Chasing the #3

JJM

Grippers:

RH:

- #3; MMS: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 (all forced in)

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 1 (every rep with 10 microreps)

LH:

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1

- #2; MMS; 1, 1, 1, 1 (+ 10 microreps)

• 2 weeks later...

Grippers:

RH:

- #3; MMS attempts: 0, 0, 0, 0 (attempt + 5 x forced in with max crush)

- #2,5; MMS: 0, 0

LH:

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 0, 0, 0 (attempt + 5 x forced in with max crush)

- #2; MMS: 1

Grippers:

RH:

- #3; MMS: 0, 0 (forced in twice)

- #2,5f; MMS: 0, 0, 0, 0

LH:

- #2,5; MMS: 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0

BH:

#2 singles focusing on set and deep setting strength

Grippers:

RH:

- #3; MMS: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 (attempt + 3 x forced in)

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

LH:

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 (attempt + 3 x forced in)

- #2; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

All good closes followed with 3 microreps.

Felt very powerful today.

#3: 4 millimeters open (got a pretty good measurement on a computer from a paused video)

Edited by JJM
Added text

Grippers:

RH:

- #2,5f; MMS attempts: x, x, x, x, x, x (best attempts so far. way beyond the range)

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 1

LH:

- #2,5f; cheat close and fighting to stay beyond the range for few seconds: x, x, x, x, x, x

- #2,5; MMS: 0, 0, 0, 0 (forced in)

Right hand feeling strong again. Dealing with #3 have improved my setting strength a lot.

The #2,5 feels easier than ever.

• Like 1

Grippers:

RH:

- #3; MMS attempts: x, x, x, x, x, x, x (all attempts with 3 x forced in)

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1 easy closes

LH:

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1

- #2; MMS: 1, 1, 1

There is clearly progress with the heavy attempts, but I think it's better to back off for a while now and focus on technique.

The biggest problem right now seems to be with setting the #3 gripper. It usually ends up in the wrong angle. Have to work on that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JJM said:

The biggest problem right now seems to be with setting the #3 gripper. It usually ends up in the wrong angle. Have to work on that.

Can you describe your optimal gripper position in the hand? I wonder how it compares to mine.

You are a bit stronger than me and I can see your trainning approach is different. You're smashing big closes, I on the other hand do volume and strength trainning, rarely power trainning to test max power which is ultimate goal.

9 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

Can you describe your optimal gripper position in the hand? I wonder how it compares to mine.

Hard to describe, but I can post some pictures after the next workout to demonstrate it. I've been experimenting different angles with light grippers and even with minimal resistance the difference is significant with various angles. Due to lack of strength I can't set the #3 on optimal position.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

You are a bit stronger than me and I can see your trainning approach is different. You're smashing big closes, I on the other hand do volume and strength trainning, rarely power trainning to test max power which is ultimate goal.

One main reason for this approach is the recovery aspect. Doing heavy singles and forced in attempts surely burdens the CNS and it takes days to get recovered, but I have found the number of reps I can handle without overloading my CNS. Other obvious reason is that I can see progress doing it this way, at least for now.

If I do higher reps with lower load I tend to overdo it and end up with pain in forearm tendons. This prevents me from doing certain exercises with kettlebells for several days. This doesn't happen with heavy gripper singles.

Edited by JJM
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JJM said:

Hard to describe, but I can post some pictures after the next workout to demonstrate it. I've been experimenting different angles with light grippers and even with minimal resistance the difference is significant with various angles. Due to lack of strength I can't set the #3 on optimal position.

It's highly technical and hard to figure it out. For example from my experience closes with left hand are less hard which is odd. Finger handle is always more away from fingers than in right hand and this is beneficial for me. I can create bigger angle between fingers and palm (zero degree angle is when fingers are in same plain as palm) with left hand. Bigger that angle is the better. That is why you also had to put palm handle as away from thumb as possible and stuck it as close to other fingers as possible.

Edited by Goran Paulinič

7 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

It's highly technical and hard to figure it out. For example from my experience closes with left hand are less hard which is odd. Finger handle is always more away from fingers than in right hand and this is beneficial for me. I can create bigger angle between fingers and palm (zero degree angle is when fingers are in same plain as palm) with left hand. Bigger that angle is the better. That is why you also had to put palm handle as away from thumb as possible and stuck it as close to other fingers as possible.

Yes. I was talking about the gripper angle and positioning shown on this video on about 2:55 --->

It's easier on lighter grippers but I rarely get this optimal with #3.

• Like 2

what is the handle spread of your #3?, i find different spreads require different palm placement like you have stated , as do different grippers and handles of grippers , i cant close heavy grip like i can coc 

Heavy grip i much prefer , much nicer for me to work on , it's a heavy flat finger pressing momentum which benefits my arm wrestling greatly , with coc i find them so just curl in with my hands with is great but i like that you get just pure pressure with the HG and they tend to be a little tougher regardless of rgc because of the sweep.  especially when comparing the 300 to the coc 3 of a similar rgc

i get around coc to get that curling crush easy with my hands , whereas heavy-grip I just have to power through , which i do prefer myself , i also prefer the feel of heavy grip

The bad rep of heavygrip , i have yet to see , only once have i seen it and it was a non genuine heavy grip a fake made of cheap composite materials and it seems this is where heavy grip got the name of being inconsistent , with floods of counterfeits that were badly made and not by the same materials or company. 

the proper dark steel ones with polished and good quality handles.  nice rough knurling and stiff spring through the whole motion are always excellent , the counterfeits tend to be a bright steel colour , cheap feeling  cermaic type metal, crappy smooth knurling and , wonky handles slotted in at angles with bends in the insert rods.  springs twisted and grinding into its self when attempting a close.   side by side there is no way they are genuine.

something similar to what Goran said , i like my fingers out more than having a smaller spread gripper  so i can get the power down from out wide, but everyones hand is different and each gripper will suit them differently.

Edited by PronatorKyle
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 1:00 PM, PronatorKyle said:

what is the handle spread of your #3?, i find different spreads require different palm placement like you have stated , as do different grippers and handles of grippers , i cant close heavy grip like i can coc 

Heavy grip i much prefer , much nicer for me to work on , it's a heavy flat finger pressing momentum which benefits my arm wrestling greatly , with coc i find them so just curl in with my hands with is great but i like that you get just pure pressure with the HG and they tend to be a little tougher regardless of rgc because of the sweep.  especially when comparing the 300 to the coc 3 of a similar rgc

i get around coc to get that curling crush easy with my hands , whereas heavy-grip I just have to power through , which i do prefer myself , i also prefer the feel of heavy grip

The bad rep of heavygrip , i have yet to see , only once have i seen it and it was a non genuine heavy grip a fake made of cheap composite materials and it seems this is where heavy grip got the name of being inconsistent , with floods of counterfeits that were badly made and not by the same materials or company. 

the proper dark steel ones with polished and good quality handles.  nice rough knurling and stiff spring through the whole motion are always excellent , the counterfeits tend to be a bright steel colour , cheap feeling  cermaic type metal, crappy smooth knurling and , wonky handles slotted in at angles with bends in the insert rods.  springs twisted and grinding into its self when attempting a close.   side by side there is no way they are genuine.

something similar to what Goran said , i like my fingers out more than having a smaller spread gripper  so i can get the power down from out wide, but everyones hand is different and each gripper will suit them differently.

I actually just bought four #3 grippers to have dispersion on difficulty.

Two of them are clearly easier than the one I've got for a long time, one is about the same and the last one is really hard. When I master the hard one I know I can start the planning to certify.

I measured the spread of five #3s I have and they are as follows: 74,75mm, 76,1mm, 75,1mm, 74,8mm and 74,7mm. So nowhere near compared to the one you have with over 80 mm spread.

I have no experience with other grippers than coc, so can't really compare them at all.

Due to the crappy set I can't even keep the #3 closed when I force it shut with two hands. If I use choked #3 gripper I can easily close it all the way and hold it hard closed for 10 seconds.

To overcome this I'll do three things:

- max attempts to close #3 (to develop setting power and to work in the area of the last few millimeters by forcing gripper shut and trying to keep it shut)

- max attempts with heavily filed #2,5 to get work done beyond the range

- closes with my hardest #2,5 with overcrush or with several microreps after the close

- all these with concentrating on setting technigue

Edited by JJM
  • Like 2

I think i will have to do the same, and send this one off to get rated just to see what it really is but the spread us so harsh on it i cant even get my fingers on to it to give it a good try,

as for the 3 setting technique , ive found myself that some grippers are different than others, have you tried a really deep set and finger walk before putting your pinkie (small) finger on ?  i was struggling with the 2.5 back when i hadn't closed it , and i knew i hadn't ran out of power ,something was mechanically limiting me, it turned out to be exactly that... the set because i was almost TNSing the gripper at that point let alone set closing. i managed to adjust some things just by having it in my hand all day for a couple of days then i just found the spot and from then on it was never a missed attempt.  

Yeah i like the direction you are going here , it;s currently very similar to how im focusing at the moment

i have a light gripper that is filed quite far on both handles and i do hundreds of reps of it a day , alot of recovery but alot for just  conditioning that in tight area and is has helped me recently , however i do these anyways as part of my arm wrestling training to help blood flow and recovery so it;s 2 for the price of 1 on that 1 for me.

8 hours ago, PronatorKyle said:

I think i will have to do the same, and send this one off to get rated just to see what it really is but the spread us so harsh on it i cant even get my fingers on to it to give it a good try,

as for the 3 setting technique , ive found myself that some grippers are different than others, have you tried a really deep set and finger walk before putting your pinkie (small) finger on ?  i was struggling with the 2.5 back when i hadn't closed it , and i knew i hadn't ran out of power ,something was mechanically limiting me, it turned out to be exactly that... the set because i was almost TNSing the gripper at that point let alone set closing. i managed to adjust some things just by having it in my hand all day for a couple of days then i just found the spot and from then on it was never a missed attempt.  

Yeah i like the direction you are going here , it;s currently very similar to how im focusing at the moment

i have a light gripper that is filed quite far on both handles and i do hundreds of reps of it a day , alot of recovery but alot for just  conditioning that in tight area and is has helped me recently , however i do these anyways as part of my arm wrestling training to help blood flow and recovery so it;s 2 for the price of 1 on that 1 for me.

Yes, the more is better since there seems to be variation in difficulty.

Haven't really done the finger walk a lot you mentioned. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. Maybe it's part of the solution to get it positioned the most optimal spot. Just tried it with a trainer and it feels good.

I use a stress ball or something like that for high rep conditioning / recovery. It's easier for the skin and really does the job.

A year and half ago I decided to get the #3 by summer of 2020 and I am on schedule. Motivation is high because I'm getting closer and closer and have been free from injuries for a long time. It was 2014 when I first bought a #1 and couldn't close it...

• Like 1

Last week I felt I have to back off and have a deload week with no gripper training.

So I did a thorough forearm workout on wednesday and on friday I did snatches and cleans. Forearms weren't recovered and such pulling and ripping with high power didn't do any good.

Yesterday had a gripper workout and still had some unwanted feeling in both arms. Live and learn.

Grippers (beyond the range day):

Screenshot_20200212_191222_com.android.gallery3d.thumb.jpg.76aa432577e227186f971845857f0f77.jpg

All closes with 5 second hold or 5 microreps within last few millimeters.

RH:

- #2,5f; MMS or wider: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

LH:

- #2f; MMS or wider: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

Setting practice, both hands. No close, just a deep set:

- #2: 5 + 5

- #1: 5 + 5

- #1: 5 + 5

Really starting to like these filed ones. Have to grind the #2 deeper, it's a little shy cut at the moment.

20 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Do you feel Btr training gives you anything on regular grippers? 

Hard to say what really helps and what doesn't, but I believe it's good to do the work also beyond the range.

After few max attempts with filed gripper the overcrush with non-filed one usually feels very strong. But generally my 3rd, 4th and 5th heavy attempts feel very strong regardless, no matter what method the previous crushes were performed by.

Also the submaximal btr grippers feels nice to do overcrushes with. I do enjoy that kind of power exercise.

Edited by JJM
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had a few weeks doing only light / limited gripperwork. The forearm muscles and tendons got extremely tight and sore due to excessive training. Plus the freezing weather always kills my hand recovery, but now it's over and it's time to get back to normal. My hand skin already forgot the grippers and the first workouts were nice and painful building the hardening spots where needed.

Grippers:

RH:

- #2; CCS: 1, 1

- #2,5; CCS: 1, 1, 1, 0

- #2,5; MMS: 2, 1, 1

- #2; wide set: 3

- #1,5; wide set: 5

LH:

- #2; CCS: 1, 1

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1, 1

- #2; CCS: 1, 1, 0 (forced in)

- #1,5; wide set: 3

- #1; wide set: 5

Grippers / focusing only on setting the gripper:

- #1: 5 x 1 + 5 x 1

- #1,5: 5 x 1 + 5 x 1 (x 2 sets)

- #2: 5 x 1 + 5 x 1

- #1,5: 5 x 1 + 5 x 1 (x 2 sets)

- #1: 5 x 1 + 5 x 1

Grippers:

- T: 5 + 5 (x 5 sets)

- #1; MMS / OC: 5 x 1 + 5 x 1 (x 2 sets)

- #1,5; MMS / OC: 3 x 1 + 3 x 1 (x 2 sets)

- #2; MMS / OC: 1 + 1 (x 5 sets)

- #1,5; MMS / OC: 3 x 1 + 3 x 1 (x 2 sets)

- #1; MMS / OC: 5 x 1 + 5 x 1 (x 2 sets)

Grippers:

- #1; CCS: 1 + 1

- #1,5; CCS: 1 + 1

- #2; CCS: 1 + 1 (x 5 sets)

- #2; MMS: 3 + 2, 1 + 1, 1 + 1, 1 + 1

Grippers:

- #1; 40 mm block: 1 + 1

- #1,5; 40 mm block: 1 + 1

- #2; 40 mm block: 1 + 1 (x 5 sets)

+ thumbclamp: 5 + 5 (x 5 sets)

Grippers:

- #1; 40 mm block: 1 + 1 ( 2 sets)

- #1,5; 40 mm block: 1 + 1 (x 2 sets)

- #2; 40 mm block: 1 + 1 (x 6 sets)

Grippers:

- #1; MMS: 1 + 1

- #1,5; MMS: 1 + 1

- #2; MMS: 1 + 1 (x 10 sets)

Grippers:

- #2; MMS: 1 + 1 (x 2 sets)

- #2,5; MMS: 1 + 1 (x 4 sets)

- #2; MMS: 1 + 1

Grippers:

- #2,5; MMS: 1 + 1 (x 6 sets)

Grippers:

RH:

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1

- #3; attempt to see where I stand: fail by > 5 mm (forced in)

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 1

LH:

- #2,5; MMS: 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0

BH:

- #1; MMS: 5 + 5

A few months back I sold my choked #3 because I wanted to force myself to train heavy gripper setting instead of only doing heavy closes with choked one.

Now that I have learned to appreciate and also actually perform a good settingtechnique and -strength training, I decided to make a new choker for myself. A better one this time.

This version has adjustable handle position (see the M6 stop screws on the inside of the handle) to set handles "longer" or "shorter" in order to get variation on leverage and resistance.

I'll try this out this evening.

kuva.thumb.png.4d9209dac64e4e292ffcf1c22c34a0ae.png

18 minutes ago, JJM said:

There are a couple more pictures to clarify the idea. Got the idea from a recent post on "VitalikSevko" instagram (https://www.instagram.com/vitaliksevko/).

kuva.thumb.png.676cbdb907178078205670420d495afc.png

1.thumb.PNG.de66f262d7eadc8268d92fe0cff7f2bb.PNG

This is awesome! Can you explain how you removed the handle? I have a fake hg150 and i would like to deepen the mount to make it heavier.

49 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

This is awesome! Can you explain how you removed the handle? I have a fake hg150 and i would like to deepen the mount to make it heavier.

Thanks Bruce.

The handles are attached with some sort of thread lock or similar. They need heat to loosen up.

Boiling water is probably not enough. I have used gas torch and hot air blower. The hot air blower is safer because you can more easily adjust the power and prevent reaching the aluminum melting point. You still need to be careful not to scratch the knurling while ripping the handle off (don't ask how I know this). For example leather welding gloves are much better than any kind of pliers.

I suggest you let the spring cool down on it's own. If cooled with cold water or something it may affect the spring properties by quenching.

You probably need to drill the holes deeper to shorten the leverage. And make sure to use degreaser on spring and holes and then apply some HARD lock thread to reattach the handles. You don't want them to start rotating while using the gripper.

Thank you for the detailed response.

I don't have any tools you described to heat the handles. Would it be possible to knock them out with brute force or will that damage the handle?

29 minutes ago, bruce1337 said:

I don't have any tools you described to heat the handles. Would it be possible to knock them out with brute force or will that damage the handle?

It will most definately damage the handle without getting the spring off.

Maybe you should buy a new gripper instead. It will cost you less than the tools needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruce1337 said:

Impossible.

And a heat gun is most likely not enough. Blow torch it is :D 

Removing the handles and use adjustable grippers is by far the best way to train with grippers, so it's definitely worth doing it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Impossible.

And a heat gun is most likely not enough. Blow torch it is :D 

Removing the handles and use adjustable grippers is by far the best way to train with grippers, so it's definitely worth doing it.

I've always wanted an adjustable hand gripper but I can't find Silvis products anywhere! :(

Can I heat it up on the grill? 😂