Unruly Hub Challenge

Squeezus

There is a lot of frustration surrounding the nuance and rules for the hub and it's something that I think about a lot because I enjoy the hub lift. With this in mind I wanted to issue a sort of a challenge to see how important the convoluted rules for the two most popular hub sizes actually are.

The rules for the IronMind Hub are here. The current record (as accepted by IronMind) is 90.16lbs by Harri Tolonen.

The rules for the David Horne Shallow Hub can be found here. The current record is 67.3lbs by Pasi Mehtälä.

Ignore those rule sets for a moment...

I want to offer a reward to anyone that can break either of these records using the following simplified rule set:

1. The lifter must use an unaltered hub and only magnesium carbonate chalk may be applied to the hands and device.
  2. This is a one handed lift. The lifters hand may not reach around or below the base plate or make contact with the inside surface of the hub.
  3. The hub must be lifted approximately level and neither the hub nor the lifting hand may make any contact with the body during the lift.
  4. The lift must be demonstrably greater than 7.5" (either using a crossbar or reference object to confirm lift height).
  5. The lift and total weight must be recorded on video. 

Note: I reserve the right to disqualify lifts for funny business, so no lifting with a magnet in your palm or hoisting the plates up with your foot, etc.

I will send a Barrel Strength Systems t-shirt and a 50% off coupon for a DubHub to the first lifter to break each of these records. If the same lifter breaks both records, I will give them a FREE DubHub and shirt.

Let's get to hubbing!

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 12

I believe this is a perfect (finger placement) example of how the hublift should conform within rules of both IM and David Horne world of grip. Marco Buhl on Youtube has a perfect demo on how a legit IM hublift looks like. The Finnish men not only do heavy weight on the various hubs but do it within the rules- not too complicated.

Edited by Kluv#0

28 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I believe this is a perfect (finger placement) example of how the hublift should conform with rules of both IM and David Horne world of grip

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQn90KMAJ9uT19aNXzIhkWKPWIx9aO6mqaSBe40/

I can't view that link for some reason, but we're not worried about IM or David Horne rules, though. I want you to hold it however you think works best for you as long as you follow the super simple rules that I posted above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I can't view that link for some reason, but we're not worried about IM or David Horne rules, though. I want you to hold it however you think works best for you as long as you follow the super simple rules that I posted above.

Oh, sorry about that. My goodness I can't come close to those monstrous lifts but good luck to anyone that can be in the area code of those two!!

Honestly, I totally agree with your simple rules dude. People over complicate things.

• Like 3

Over complicating or rule changing makes Jack a dull boy.

• Like 1

Genius Gil. For years there has been a ongoing rant going around the Pantke house of along the lines of.

"If the V-bar style of lifting a hub is so darn good, why can't someone please show me how it's done, and pull 100# on a IM hub".  

Awesome man for doing this. :rock

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

If the V-bar style of lifting a hub is so darn good, why can't someone please show me how it's done, and pull 100# on a IM hub".

I feel that if they really didn't want this style, they should have made a shallow hub so it would be impossible. the rules should be really basic. grab above the base plate, only chalk, don't touch the inside of the hub etc. 

I'm gonna brain dump some semi-legit stretching of those rules real quick.

No hub contact with body, but what if your thumb hits your thigh to add a little more pressure. (Suggest no hub/hand/weight contact with body.)

What about excessive spinning when you break it off the ground? Right handed, clockwise from above, I can squeak out a little better lift if I twist it first. (Suggest no rotation allowed at top of lift, or hold until rotation stops?)

9 hours ago, wobbler said:

I'm gonna brain dump some semi-legit stretching of those rules real quick.

No hub contact with body, but what if your thumb hits your thigh to add a little more pressure. (Suggest no hub/hand/weight contact with body.)

What about excessive spinning when you break it off the ground? Right handed, clockwise from above, I can squeak out a little better lift if I twist it first. (Suggest no rotation allowed at top of lift, or hold until rotation stops?)

Good call, "no hand or implement contact" would be better wording. Twisting is fine. Break those records!

• Like 1

Gil I like this idea...can we go back to the same basic rules with the sledge choke also? 😝

• 3 months later...

I always think the best way to cheat is to skirt a rule, or even break it and see if you get caught. I might set up a crossbar and try to get a good 7.5" lift with a lot of rotation. I think I could squeak out 60 on an ironmind hub. Not breaking any records but it's more than I could pull strict.

On 10/21/2017 at 3:27 PM, Andrew P said:

@Squeezus

Gil, did anyone ever take you up on the challenge? 

As I expected, nobody ever came forward with a record breaking lift using simplified rules.

You heard it here first folks, the complicated rules for the hub are a waste of time. 

I will be modifying the rules for the DubHub to this simplified version.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 2

Thanks man. We need more of this to start making things simpler. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Andrew P said:

Genius Gil. For years there has been a ongoing rant going around the Pantke house of along the lines of.

"If the V-bar style of lifting a hub is so darn good, why can't someone please show me how it's done, and pull 100# on a IM hub".  

Awesome man for doing this. :rock

I'm pretty sure I and probably a dozen other guys could pull 100lbs vbar style on a decent-textured IM Hub.  Not the same lift of course, but when I was able to pull 300lbs+ on the 2" vbar I was able to pull 200lbs with just my index and middle finger with thumb wrapped around the very top part of the (FBBC) 2" vbar. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bencrush said:

I'm pretty sure I and probably a dozen other guys could pull 100lbs vbar style on a decent-textured IM Hub.  Not the same lift of course, but when I was able to pull 300lbs+ on the 2" vbar I was able to pull 200lbs with just my index and middle finger with thumb wrapped around the very top part of the (FBBC) 2" vbar. 

Ben, You could be right but no one I'm aware of stepped up and demonstrated that it could be done. 

3 hours ago, bencrush said:

I pull over 300 on the 2” Vbar and I can’t lift over 100lbs on the hub using Vbar/doorknob grip. In fact I only pull a pound or two more using a doorknob grip. 

I saw this so went out  and tried- My regular IM hub max is 77-78lb - doorknob was 85.6lb