Coc3 failed cert gripper revenge.

Josh O'Dell

So as you all know i failed my 3 cert for ironmind a few weeks back. I decided to start rating grippers again and rated that cert gripper at 157#, that was without seasoning the spring or oil. I figured id give it a go for the hell of it and i must be having a good day caused i slammed that mother f'er!!

• Like 12

Damn, 157 is pretty nasty for a cert gripper. That was what I was worried about when I certed. Glad you were able to kill it today. I'm sure that's some consolation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

Damn, 157 is pretty nasty for a cert gripper. That was what I was worried about when I certed. Glad you were able to kill it today. I'm sure that's some consolation.

Thanks man, It did feel good!

As I told you earlier on facebook dude, You have a crazy ability to grind out a close. You looked that you were out of ideal position from the start but you keep the handles moving. Pretty sick. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

As I told you earlier on facebook dude, You have a crazy ability to grind out a close. You looked that you were out of ideal position from the start but you keep the handles moving. Pretty sick. 

Thanks man, ccs has never fully clicked with me. Its awkward.

Nice man, it looks like once you get the handle set in your palm you could go as wide as you want, your pinky isn't even on until you're halfway there.

• Like 1

Great way to power through that close dude. A 157# cert gripper is brutal but that close should boost your confidence for your next cert attempt. 

• Like 1

Powerful close - like the other guys said, great pause on the set and awesome ability to slowly crush those handles shut - great work!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wobbler said:

Nice man, it looks like once you get the handle set in your palm you could go as wide as you want, your pinky isn't even on until you're halfway there.

Thanks man!

3 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Powerful close - like the other guys said, great pause on the set and awesome ability to slowly crush those handles shut - great work!

Thanks Anton!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CFlaherty said:

Great way to power through that close dude. A 157# cert gripper is brutal but that close should boost your confidence for your next cert attempt. 

It really did boost my confidence, thanks !

Way to get revenge on that cert gripper...nice close :rock

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Forever said:

Way to get revenge on that cert gripper...nice close :rock

Thanks bud

Strong close ! No doubt, you're on the right way to get this cert.

For me, you loose time while sliding the card between the handles. I always set the gripper with the card already in my other hand, hold between my thumb and annular/pinky.

• Like 1

Yeah, your fight on that was amazing!

As a side note, I'm 99% sure you're allowed to oil your cert gripper and put some reps on it.  You're required to use a new gripper out of the package, but I believe we confirmed with IronMind that there is nothing against oiling it and getting it going.  Maybe give it a couple of lefty squeezes.  "New out of the package" ensures the gripper has not been tampered with, but I do not believe your cert attempts have to be the first ever movement on the gripper.  Maybe worth verifying with IronMind prior to your cert, but I believe you can oil and rep the gripper before making attempts. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cannon said:

As a side note, I'm 99% sure you're allowed to oil your cert gripper and put some reps on it.  You're required to use a new gripper out of the package, but I believe we confirmed with IronMind that there is nothing against oiling it and getting it going.  Maybe give it a couple of lefty squeezes.  "New out of the package" ensures the gripper has not been tampered with, but I do not believe your cert attempts have to be the first ever movement on the gripper.  Maybe worth verifying with IronMind prior to your cert, but I believe you can oil and rep the gripper before making attempts. 

I remember a discussion about this when Randy was on this forum. Def worth checking out Josh since you were so dam close it would have made a difference. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chez said:

I remember a discussion about this when Randy was on this forum. Def worth checking out Josh since you were so dam close it would have made a difference. 

Wow man i wish i would've known.. i could have oiled and chest crushed it a few times.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cannon said:

I will email him to ask him. I remember the discussion here, but I didn't walk away with the same take (on the oiling issue). One time he personally told me I could chest crush it all I wanted. I only did the lefty squeeze on one of my many failures, and it was a mental mistake for me, as I decided it "was a hard one" before I even touched it with my right hand...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I will email him to ask him. I remember the discussion here, but I didn't walk away with the same take (on the oiling issue). One time he personally told me I could chest crush it all I wanted. I only did the lefty squeeze on one of my many failures, and it was a mental mistake for me, as I decided it "was a hard one" before I even touched it with my right hand...

interesting.  And I wasn't sure if chest crushing would be okay, but feel like I remember asking if you can oil the gripper and the reply was something like "certainly, that's just good maintenance."

• Like 1

Good job Josh. Looking strong dude !

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, cemery said:

Good job Josh. Looking strong dude !

Thanks man!

Hi guys -

Captains of Crush grippers have always come with pre-lubricated springs, but if someone felt s/he wanted to put a drop of oil on the spring straight out of the package, it's not against the rules—might look odd and we might get questions about whether it's true that regular olive oil, for example, is ok, but extra virgin is not, but that's ok, too. 

On crushing the gripper before taking an official attempt, that's fine too—most guys like to give the gripper a bit of a squeeze to see how it feels before fully unloading on it (guys who have been members here for a while will remember that's how grippers used to be "calibrated," with a partial squeeze, and those numbers might have been out to the third decimal place, I think). Here's the reasoning behind this, in case anyone is interested:  While some grippers definitely do deform (and get easier) with use, that's not the case with Captains of Crush grippers any more than an Eleiko bar gets weaker with use, while an el-cheaper bar might well turn into a pretzel the first time you load it to a few hundred pounds.

For readers with the interest, there's more on all this stuff in the Captains of Crush book. Meanwhile, train patiently and persistently—happy crushing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randall Strossen said:

Captains of Crush grippers have always come with pre-lubricated springs, but if someone felt s/he wanted to put a drop of oil on the spring straight out of the package, it's not against the rules—might look odd and we might get questions about whether it's true that regular olive oil, for example, is ok, but extra virgin is not, but that's ok, too. 

Well, dip me in apple sauce.  I did not know that.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Well, dip me in apple sauce.  I did not know that.

Me either! :)

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

at the time, as far as i was concerned, i didnt consider oiling the spring foul play, but opted out of allowing it simply due to not being sure if he could or not. I would have felt really bad if i had allowed it, and then he closed it, only to find out it was against cert rules and he would not have got credit for the close though.

I would have done the same thing if I wasn't sure bud. 

• Like 2