Josh O'Dell

Coc3 failed cert gripper revenge.

31 posts in this topic

So as you all know i failed my 3 cert for ironmind a few weeks back. I decided to start rating grippers again and rated that cert gripper at 157#, that was without seasoning the spring or oil. I figured id give it a go for the hell of it and i must be having a good day caused i slammed that mother f'er!!

 

12 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, 157 is pretty nasty for a cert gripper. That was what I was worried about when I certed. Glad you were able to kill it today. I'm sure that's some consolation.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

Damn, 157 is pretty nasty for a cert gripper. That was what I was worried about when I certed. Glad you were able to kill it today. I'm sure that's some consolation.

Thanks man, It did feel good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I told you earlier on facebook dude, You have a crazy ability to grind out a close. You looked that you were out of ideal position from the start but you keep the handles moving. Pretty sick. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Chez said:

As I told you earlier on facebook dude, You have a crazy ability to grind out a close. You looked that you were out of ideal position from the start but you keep the handles moving. Pretty sick. 

Thanks man, ccs has never fully clicked with me. Its awkward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice man, it looks like once you get the handle set in your palm you could go as wide as you want, your pinky isn't even on until you're halfway there.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great way to power through that close dude. A 157# cert gripper is brutal but that close should boost your confidence for your next cert attempt. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Powerful close - like the other guys said, great pause on the set and awesome ability to slowly crush those handles shut - great work!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wobbler said:

Nice man, it looks like once you get the handle set in your palm you could go as wide as you want, your pinky isn't even on until you're halfway there.

Thanks man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Powerful close - like the other guys said, great pause on the set and awesome ability to slowly crush those handles shut - great work!

Thanks Anton!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CFlaherty said:

Great way to power through that close dude. A 157# cert gripper is brutal but that close should boost your confidence for your next cert attempt. 

It really did boost my confidence, thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to get revenge on that cert gripper...nice close :rock

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Forever said:

Way to get revenge on that cert gripper...nice close :rock

Thanks bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strong close ! No doubt, you're on the right way to get this cert.

For me, you loose time while sliding the card between the handles. I always set the gripper with the card already in my other hand, hold between my thumb and annular/pinky.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, your fight on that was amazing!

As a side note, I'm 99% sure you're allowed to oil your cert gripper and put some reps on it.  You're required to use a new gripper out of the package, but I believe we confirmed with IronMind that there is nothing against oiling it and getting it going.  Maybe give it a couple of lefty squeezes.  "New out of the package" ensures the gripper has not been tampered with, but I do not believe your cert attempts have to be the first ever movement on the gripper.  Maybe worth verifying with IronMind prior to your cert, but I believe you can oil and rep the gripper before making attempts. 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Yeah, your fight on that was amazing!

As a side note, I'm 99% sure you're allowed to oil your cert gripper and put some reps on it.  You're required to use a new gripper out of the package, but I believe we confirmed with IronMind that there is nothing against oiling it and getting it going.  Maybe give it a couple of lefty squeezes.  "New out of the package" ensures the gripper has not been tampered with, but I do not believe your cert attempts have to be the first ever movement on the gripper.  Maybe worth verifying with IronMind prior to your cert, but I believe you can oil and rep the gripper before making attempts. 

 

I remember a discussion about this when Randy was on this forum. Def worth checking out Josh since you were so dam close it would have made a difference. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chez said:

I remember a discussion about this when Randy was on this forum. Def worth checking out Josh since you were so dam close it would have made a difference. 

Wow man i wish i would've known.. i could have oiled and chest crushed it a few times.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cannon said:

Yeah, your fight on that was amazing!

As a side note, I'm 99% sure you're allowed to oil your cert gripper and put some reps on it.  You're required to use a new gripper out of the package, but I believe we confirmed with IronMind that there is nothing against oiling it and getting it going.  Maybe give it a couple of lefty squeezes.  "New out of the package" ensures the gripper has not been tampered with, but I do not believe your cert attempts have to be the first ever movement on the gripper.  Maybe worth verifying with IronMind prior to your cert, but I believe you can oil and rep the gripper before making attempts. 

 

I will email him to ask him. I remember the discussion here, but I didn't walk away with the same take (on the oiling issue). One time he personally told me I could chest crush it all I wanted. I only did the lefty squeeze on one of my many failures, and it was a mental mistake for me, as I decided it "was a hard one" before I even touched it with my right hand...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

I will email him to ask him. I remember the discussion here, but I didn't walk away with the same take (on the oiling issue). One time he personally told me I could chest crush it all I wanted. I only did the lefty squeeze on one of my many failures, and it was a mental mistake for me, as I decided it "was a hard one" before I even touched it with my right hand...

interesting.  And I wasn't sure if chest crushing would be okay, but feel like I remember asking if you can oil the gripper and the reply was something like "certainly, that's just good maintenance."

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job Josh. Looking strong dude !

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, cemery said:

Good job Josh. Looking strong dude !

Thanks man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys -

Captains of Crush grippers have always come with pre-lubricated springs, but if someone felt s/he wanted to put a drop of oil on the spring straight out of the package, it's not against the rules—might look odd and we might get questions about whether it's true that regular olive oil, for example, is ok, but extra virgin is not, but that's ok, too. 

On crushing the gripper before taking an official attempt, that's fine too—most guys like to give the gripper a bit of a squeeze to see how it feels before fully unloading on it (guys who have been members here for a while will remember that's how grippers used to be "calibrated," with a partial squeeze, and those numbers might have been out to the third decimal place, I think). Here's the reasoning behind this, in case anyone is interested:  While some grippers definitely do deform (and get easier) with use, that's not the case with Captains of Crush grippers any more than an Eleiko bar gets weaker with use, while an el-cheaper bar might well turn into a pretzel the first time you load it to a few hundred pounds.

For readers with the interest, there's more on all this stuff in the Captains of Crush book. Meanwhile, train patiently and persistently—happy crushing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Randall Strossen said:

 

Captains of Crush grippers have always come with pre-lubricated springs, but if someone felt s/he wanted to put a drop of oil on the spring straight out of the package, it's not against the rules—might look odd and we might get questions about whether it's true that regular olive oil, for example, is ok, but extra virgin is not, but that's ok, too. 

 

Well, dip me in apple sauce.  I did not know that.

Edited by Hubgeezer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Well, dip me in apple sauce.  I did not know that.

Same sentiments. I feel a little guilty on knowing this now.. i did not allow Morgan to oil the spring on his 3.5 cert attempt simply because i was unsure and did not want it to cost him his cert had he closed it. I did recall at the time of his cert attempt him being allowed to do a few chest crush closes first, or even a MMs if he wanted, prior to his CCs attempts to get a feel for the gripper. 

Another small thing i didnt let fly on his official attempts was an onlooker at the Harley dealership (where we did his cert attempt) asked if he could try the gripper between Morgans attempts, and i said "nah man. Dont touch it till hes done." Lol, i may have been a bit overzealous with it, but i looked forward to seeing him close it under official conditions with no questionable stuff happening. 

at the time, as far as i was concerned, i didnt consider oiling the spring foul play, but opted out of allowing it simply due to not being sure if he could or not. I would have felt really bad if i had allowed it, and then he closed it, only to find out it was against cert rules and he would not have got credit for the close though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Well, dip me in apple sauce.  I did not know that.

Me either! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now