Royz

Experience cubital tunnel syndrome?

11 posts in this topic

Hi there, anybody on the gripboard have any experience with Cubital tunnel syndrome? Maybe even had surgery?

I've been struggling with this for six months or so now. It's a nagging pain on the ulnar side of my wrist, which radiates out to my pinky and ring finger and the top of my hand too. Somedays it's so bad I can hardly make a fist and sometimes I can train grip up to 90% without pain. Grippers are by far the most affected by this, after that fatbar, then pinch and vertical bar isn't affected at all it seems.

It's basically a nerve entrapment which makes me really worried. I don't want to do permanent damage to the nerve.

Anyone?

Posted (edited)

I have never had anything diagnosed, but I had a span of several months last year where I had significant wrist pain and numbness. I would wake up in the middle of the night with a burning sensation in my wrists that radiated out from the ulnar side and my ring and pinky finger were numb almost every morning when I woke up. I wrote a wrist strengthening program that I am still doing once per week and took NSAIDs (which I am not still taking). It has improved the problem significantly. I recently had a bit of a resurgence of wrist pain when I heavily trained TNS grippers, but I discontinued and it got better.

I recently met a guy that posts a lot of recovery exercises on his instagram and saw that he posted an ulnar nerve floss. I have not tried it, but it might be worth a go:

Edited by Squeezus
1 person likes this

I have also had some issues with this. Never diagnosed but in my case I think that managing volume in your training can help correct this issue. IMO it is very easy to over work your hands/wrists. SMR/contrast baths/blood flow and other methods of recovery can be very beneficial. As well as the nerve flossing Gil mentioned.  Another thing that is very overlooked is upper back and neck tightness a lot of problems can stem from this area. Proper posture and SMR have helped me a lot with carpal tunnel symptoms. Hope this was helpful.

I don't have direct experience but have had and solved wrist and shoulder issues. My advice for any soft tissue complaint is to find a good therapist. This can be very difficult, but if they say they can solve every single issue then that's a good cue to leave and find somebody else. There are tons of body work techniques and none are perfect, I was able to find a local guy doing the Feldenkrais method that helped me with a wrist issue, then ended up at a Rolfer to help with the shoulder issue. I'm a big fan of nerve flossing and also muscle imbalances. A lot of elbow issues are due to relatively weak extensor muscles which puts too much stress on the joint and can cause impingements.

5 hours ago, Squeezus said:

I wrote a wrist strengthening program that I am still doing once per week

What exactly are you doing currently for wrist strengthening if I may ask Gil? I can do reverse wrist curls and I do some clubbell work, but most wrsit stuff seems to hurt. One of the regular things that hurts most are barbell curls. Did you have that too?

Definitely going to check that instagram guy. Thanks!

3 hours ago, DLO285 said:

Another thing that is very overlooked is upper back and neck tightness

Hadn't thought of that. My neck is often very tight from all the computer work I do. Thanks for the tip! Also, what is SMR?

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

find a good therapist. This can be very difficult,

Lol. Yes I know. I've tried most in my area with past injuries.

3 hours ago, Climber028 said:

A lot of elbow issues are due to relatively weak extensor muscles which puts too much stress on the joint and can cause impingements.

I've basically totally neglected my extensors over the past years except for some occasional rubber band work. Going to do them every week from now on. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Royz said:

What exactly are you doing currently for wrist strengthening if I may ask Gil? I can do reverse wrist curls and I do some clubbell work, but most wrsit stuff seems to hurt. One of the regular things that hurts most are barbell curls. Did you have that too?

Definitely going to check that instagram guy. Thanks!

Hadn't thought of that. My neck is often very tight from all the computer work I do. Thanks for the tip! Also, what is SMR?

Lol. Yes I know. I've tried most in my area with past injuries.

I've basically totally neglected my extensors over the past years except for some occasional rubber band work. Going to do them every week from now on. Thanks!

Yes, I have had the same problem with curls being too painful to do. I reached a point where I could not do dumbbell curls because of the wrist pain. That has resolved.

My wrist rehab/conditioning currently consists of:

• Day 1 & 3
    • Dexterity Balls 3x40 reps each direction
    • Extensor Work (protein buckets) 3x30s
  • Day 2
    • Plate curls 3x10
    • Plate hikes 3x10
    • Sledge hammer pronation/supination (standing) 3x20
    • Sledge hammer rear choke 3x20s
    • Sledge hammer front choke 3x20s

I do all this stuff after my grip workouts with light enough weight that I don't feel much (if any) pain and it has helped me out a whole lot.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

I do all this stuff after my grip workouts with light enough weight that I don't feel much (if any) pain and it has helped me out a whole lot.

Thanks Gil! Gonna add some light wrist stuff too.

1 person likes this

SMR- Self myofascial release. Basically self massage (using foam rolling, lacrosse ball, etc)   

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, DLO285 said:

SMR- Self myofascial release. Basically self massage (using foam rolling, lacrosse ball, etc)   

I am a believer in SMR for my glutes, upper back and forearms (with my Armaid). How would you address the cubital issue with SMR? Where should you roll? I have read that sometimes the place to roll is not at the painful area.

I would hit the areas that would potentially affect the nerves that run to your hands. Upper back, neck, forearms etc. Kelly Starrett has some great books and information out on the inter webs about corrective exercise and SMR. I would look into his techniques.

2 people like this