SJ4 Bending Contest Participants and Classes

acromegaman

SJ4 Bending Contest Participants and Classes  

13 members have voted

1. 1. I plan on participating in the Bending Competition at SJ4

• in the Ladies (Open Class)
    • in the Mens (Amateur Class)
    • in the Mens (Open Class)

Hello all! The bending competition at SJ4 is coming to the finalizing phase and I would like to get an approximate tally on how many people would like to participate. By doing this you would help determine a factor or two that will affect the contest. I'm not going to give out all of the rules just yet, but here are a couple of hints about how it will go down.

• Ironmind pads.
  • Multiple sizes of FBBC steel with generalized rating!
  • Combined total poundage in a predetermined amount of time!
  • 3 separate classes.
  • Prizes for 1st and 2nd in each class.

Please make your mark and let us know you're coming to bend some steel!

• Like 5

Never bent stuff for a competition .... but (bad word filter) yeah I'll do it why not?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, floyd43 said:

I'll bend.  If theres drinking involved.

I can drink while you bend. Will that work ? 😉

• Like 2

Related...

Healthwise I'm out this year, but Ill be around to help the others get started with bending in general.

We are gonna have a bunch of lightweight steel to suck people into our cult...I mean...accommodate a new bender.

Seriously...if you are at all interested in learning to bend and possibly certing the Red...we will have like 15+ Red Nail Rosters there to teach and hone your technique.  Its not beyond you...you CAN do it.

(Steps off pulpit)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, acromegaman said:

My money is on you! @MCrushetta

changing my gripboard name to BENDETTA, duh

• Like 6

This sounds pretty cool.. I've dabbled with a couple 60D nails and grade 2 bolts (bought some random crap at lowes not long ago out of curiosity). Pretty sure my technique is nonexistent so it'd be really cool to get some tips from the experts :D

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

This sounds pretty cool.. I've dabbled with a couple 60D nails and grade 2 bolts (bought some random crap at lowes not long ago out of curiosity). Pretty sure my technique is nonexistent so it'd be really cool to get some tips from the experts :D

Something tells me that you'll have no problem adapting to bending 💪. Also, Andrew is bringing several sizes of CRS for the contest so there'll be something to bend for pretty much anyone.

• Like 3

Put me in coach. 

I'll be bringing some unique bending materials and trainers from my new strength company launching soon. Keep your eyes out and find me.

Edited by Sapper88
Incomplete
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sapper88 said:

Put me in coach. 

I'll be bringing some unique bending materials and trainers from my new strength company launching soon. Keep your eyes out and find me.

Will do!

• Like 1

I'm interested in competing! What's the difference between amateur and open?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dube said:

I'm interested in competing! What's the difference between amateur and open?

If you are planning to bend 5/16" and up bar in singles that would be considered "open". Also having certified on the Red nail would make a person "open". If it came down to it the referee would help determine the class if someone is struggling with deciding.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

If you are planning to bend 5/16" and up bar in singles that would be considered "open". Also having certified on the Red nail would make a person "open". If it came down to it the referee would help determine the class if someone is struggling with deciding.

Thanks! Amateur it is for me then. Voted too

• Like 2

Should we bring some cash to help pay for the steel?

• Like 1

Best of luck to all the competitors.  I think this is the first big bending contest since Beast in the East a few years back.  I heard somewhere that a dashingly handsome fella won the innaugural Beast in the East.  Can't quite put my finger on his name.  He's probably got the plaque hanging in his man cave or something silly like that.  :laugh

20170627_190128.jpg

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 3

Hmmm. I heard this dashingly handsome winner was afraid to compete again.  

Tisk tisk.  What a shame when people retire and enter rest homes. 

• Like 1

Too beat up.  The steel takes a toll.  Maybe after this powerlifting phase.  Have some masters records to set first.

Alright everyone! Here are the bending contest rules. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask.

Rules

·         This will be a timed event using rated bars (by pounds).

·         The goal is to obtain the highest total poundage at the end of your 3 minute bending window.

·         All bends must be completed in a single set of Ironmind (IM) pads only. Bring your own IM pads or use the house IM pads.

·         The bender on deck will have an opportunity to grab up to 3 different diameter bars (1 each) to wrap before it is their turn to bend. No pre-wrapping more than one of the same diameter bar allowed.

·         The bender may use up to 2 extra sets of IM pads to pre-wrap different bar diameters before their 3 minute run starts (Please be ready when it is your turn).

·         Time will start when first bend is initiated. Time will not stop once started.

·         Only 1 failed attempt to complete a bar is allowed. The bender will then need to move on to another bar and set the failed attempt to the side and it will not be counted toward the total poundage. If a bender cannot complete a subsequent bar after a failure has been set aside, they must continue with that bar or return to the previously failed bar until either one of them has been bent or time is up.

·         DO, DU, Reverse acceptable, but all finished bends shall be 2” or less between stock ends to count.

·         No bracing. Hands and arms must not contact any part of the body below the waist. If this occurs, it is up to the judge’s discretion if the bend will be counted.

·         One rubber band per wrap at any one time allowed. A fresh band can replace damaged if needed, but time will not stop. Bands will be provided.

·         Highest total poundage wins class.

Special Notes

·         3 separate classes-Ladies (Open), Novice (9/32”and below) and (Open 5/16” and above).

·         Limited quantity of bar stock sizes.

·         Prizes will be awarded to the 1stand 2nd place in each class.

• Like 3

I can't wait to bend. See you guys soon. 

• Like 3