Red Nail Cert

Donc101

I did my red nail certification today.  It feels great to get it done.  I still need Iron Mind to approve it but my referee gave me the thumbs up.

I started bending at the beginning of 2016, so it took me about a year and a half of consistent bending to get the red nail cert done.  I bent my first red nail in double pads my first workout of 2017.  I have bent this whole year really only in doubles until recently.  I was focusing on doing FBBC certs.  I had planned to continue in doubles to try to get the shiny bastard, huge bastard and big golden bastard.  I gave myself until the end of June to do those 3 and then I was going to switch to bending in only single IMP pads to get the red nail cert.  I figured it would take about 2 months of bending in singles to condition my hands.  Then, a couple weeks ago, at the very end of a workout I decided to do a red as a last bend.  I had put away my leather pads but my IMP were still there so I decided to give it a go and I figured it would just be an iso workout.  To my surprise, I bent the red fairly easy, in under a minute.  I knew I had plenty of strength from all of the doubles bending but the key was my pointer finger developing toughness and pain tolerance from the DHWOG steel shredder 2 competition (small nail snapping).  I have been snapping the small nails 2x a week.  Those snaps really condition your hands, toughen them up and build your pain tolerance.  When I went back to IMP, my hands were able to deal with the thinner pads no problem.  I highly recommend the small nail snapping for newer benders or experienced benders who need to build pain tolerance and hand/ finger toughness.

After surprising myself with the bend, I sent Iron Mind the e-mail, after only ever doing 1 red under cert conditions.  I was worried they would say I was not ready so I did a video of doing the bend in 19 seconds under cert conditions.  They set me up with a referee close to me.  After the 19 second bend, I did it again in 11 seconds and that made me hopeful to get a cert bend in under 10 seconds. 

My wife was pregnant and I hoped to get the cert done before the baby came.  My 3rd daughter was born earlier than expected (June 9, 2017) so that did not happen.  I did the cert 1 week after she was born.  My sleep, training and life have been off this past week so I was not my strongest.  Thus, no sub 10 second bend, but I am very happy with the bend that I did.  My wife and new born daughter came along to the cert and I am super happy they were both there for it.

Thanks to everyone who has given me advise and/or encouragement along the way.

Here is my daughter (Savannah), the red and me.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Here is the bend:

• Like 10

Just awesome man.  Fantastic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anwnate said:

Just awesome man.  Fantastic.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, terminal said:

Congratulations on the red nail bend and even moreso congratulations on the birth of little Savannah.

Al

Thanks Al!

Congratulations! Great picture with your nail and baby too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Congratulations! Great picture with your nail and baby too!

Thank you Anton.Torrella!

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic! Well done and congrats on your new daughter :rock May God bless her!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Fantastic! Well done and congrats on your new daughter :rock May God bless her!

Thank you!

• Like 1